• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I dunno, he strikes me as someone who forms his own opinions. (Not in any of today's newspapers)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
cyclo, I'll put it the long way: "What a coincidence: here we are on G&GR talking about ethical investing and it's link to climate change, and simultaneously former great rugby player David Pocock leads a small climate change protest which is picked up by the newspapers."

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
NSW Rugby chief executive Paul Doorn has denied the Waratahs are a team in crisis as rumours continue to circulate around an apparent rift between head coach Rob Penney and the franchises’ former general manager of professional rugby and elite pathways, Tim Rapp.

Well he would say that wouldn't he.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
NSW Rugby chief executive Paul Doorn has denied the Waratahs are a team in crisis as rumours continue to circulate around an apparent rift between head coach Rob Penney and the franchises’ former general manager of professional rugby and elite pathways, Tim Rapp.

It didn't sound good when Tom Robertson said "there's a lot of off-field issues at the Tahs" when he joined the Force late last year. I hope they can get it sorted out, because there's inevitably going to be some tough times this year - but the nucleus of a really good team for the future.

Alex Ross (28)
It didn't sound good when Tom Robertson said "there's a lot of off-field issues at the Tahs" when he joined the Force late last year. I hope they can get it sorted out, because there's inevitably going to be some tough times this year - but the nucleus of a really good team for the future.
Hardly a shock that there would be friction between the GM and coach after the latter was told he was getting his player budget slashed by $1m for his first crack at building a squad.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)

I hope there isn't a rift. I like the way Penney turned things around between Super Rugby and Super Rugby AU in 2020. He's got a tougher job ahead of him in 2021. But a few years of consistency and the right direction, and we could be setting up a new legacy and foundation for the Tahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I hope there isn't a rift. I like the way Penney turned things around between Super Rugby and Super Rugby AU in 2020. He's got a tougher job ahead of him in 2021. But a few years of consistency and the right direction, and we could be setting up a new legacy and foundation for the Tahs.

Rapp is gone back to Newington

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Rapp is gone back to Newington

Rapp was probably the last man standing who was part of the disastrous Gibson/Hore trainwreck era...

(BTW this is all purely speculation on my part)

If Rapp was still in denial about the previous era I'd be shocked if Penney didn't have a major problem with him.

Considering Penney has moved on a massive number of (in my opinion) underperformers from the squad, (who were possibly fairly matey with Rapp - once again speculation on my part) then I can understand there would be a massive amount of tension... but all about improving the squad. Look at the list of players who were tapped on the shoulder from 2020 to 2021

Tom Robertson
Andrew Tuala
Jed Holloway
Ryan McCauley
Rob Simmons
Tom Staniforth
Pat Tafa
Mitch Short
Mack Mason
Cam Clarke
K Hunt

Not counting Hanigan/Hooper/Beale in with this lot who were Recent Wallabies but also in Hanigan and Beale's case allowed to leave.

Ever been in a business where there are a bunch of forced redundancies? You can smell the tension in the air!!!

Robertson would have had his nose a bit out of joint after being benched for a 19yo and would have seen the writing on the wall for his career at the Tahs. Not really surprised he said there were a few issues there... no-one enjoys the broom being put through the joint when they're on the wrong end of it.

Alex Ross (28)
Robertson would have had his nose a bit out of joint after being benched for a 19yo and would have seen the writing on the wall for his career at the Tahs. Not really surprised he said there were a few issues there. no-one enjoys the broom being put through the joint when they're on the wrong end of it.

Robertson was never benched for Bell. He was injured. Once he was fit it was Bell on the bench all the way.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the lack of comment on this forum, it doesn't seem like anyone was that upset by the loss of Rapp.
With the constant frustration on the Waratahs threads at the lack of good recruitment, failure to retain good players and retaing duds its not really surprising that no one is mourning his departure

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In the space of 6 years we went from first ever title to wooden spoon contenders.

Someone has been performing badly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With the constant frustration on the Waratahs threads at the lack of good recruitment, failure to retain good players and retaing duds its not really surprising that no one is mourning his departure

I think the recruitment has improved lately (a load of the aus 21 were picked up), but our issue was the lack of turnover before that

a few old heads were held onto a little too long and some underperformers were persisted with

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the recruitment has improved lately (a load of the aus 21 were picked up), but our issue was the lack of turnover before that

a few old heads were held onto a little too long and some underperformers were persisted with

But haven't the last couple of seasons been "building" seasons?

Maybe that was just the rhetoric coming from the camp to justify poor results?

Top Bottom