• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the recruitment has improved lately (a load of the aus 21 were picked up), but our issue was the lack of turnover before that

a few old heads were held onto a little too long and some underperformers were persisted with

I think Taf openly said he should have moved on sooner, although that might have been the Wallabies?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But haven't the last couple of seasons been "building" seasons?

Maybe that was just the rhetoric coming from the camp to justify poor results?

We had an aging squad full of Wobs, that meant not much $$$ for fringe units and little opportunity for game time for them as well, so who would not take opportunities elsewhere?

It meant that straight after the RWC there was a heavy t/over with a squad bereft of quality replacements

They went and bought a load of U21 wobs (good option), but they take time to become real players and some of the choices will also be duds

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think 2020 was the first season we have started rebuilding.

2018 and 2019 was still the core of the 2014 team and largely we needed to move those players on to start again.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think 2020 was the first season we have started rebuilding.

2018 and 2019 was still the core of the 2014 team and largely we needed to move those players on to start again.

Yeah fair enough. I've just heard that term bandied about a bit for a few years now, which is probably me not totally paying attention and possibly reading into things

Totally agree that 202 was really the first year with a mostly fresh squad.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes there were ageing players in the team, but some of those of those ageing players like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hunt, Simmons and TPN were recruited back to the Tahs team during 2017-2019, they weren’t legacies. Really the only legacies who were arguably too old were Kepu and Foley. Other players like Folau*, Hooper and Beale still had a lot to offer.

I’d argue it was the decision making around other positions which was letting the team down. Like the inability to identify and recruit a development lock during that period. Instead they’ve chased quick fixes from overseas like Nick Palmer, McDuling, Le Roux Roets, Caird, Whetton and Wykes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes there were ageing players in the team, but some of those of those ageing players like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hunt, Simmons and TPN were recruited back to the Tahs team during 2017-2019, they weren’t legacies. Really the only legacies who were arguably too old were Kepu and Foley. Other players like Folau*, Hooper and Beale still had a lot to offer.

I’d argue it was the decision making around other positions which was letting the team down. Like the inability to identify and recruit a development lock during that period. Instead they’ve chased quick fixes from overseas like Nick Palmer, McDuling, Le Roux Roets, Caird, Whetton and Wykes.

There were heaps of issues but the point I was making was that the team in 2019 was a team that was getting worse and needed to be overhauled. It wasn't a team that was one or two pieces away from being a great team.

A big issue in that season was that a lot of the star players were substantially short on form, particularly Foley and Beale.

I certainly don't think Foley was past it. He had a really down season but then did pretty well once he started in Japan. I can't imagine he'll come back to Australia but I think he's still got some good rugby in him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why would you come back? so you can be abused by your own supporter base or get thrown the wolves out of no where in a clutch game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Link made the point that squad development includes having some seasoned pros who can do a job about as well, and I am quite certain they are in the hunt for development locks

But they have to want to come for the money they have available, I do note Michael Wood (from QLD?) and Jeremy Williams getting runs at lock

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There were heaps of issues but the point I was making was that the team in 2019 was a team that was getting worse and needed to be overhauled. It wasn't a team that was one or two pieces away from being a great team.

A big issue in that season was that a lot of the star players were substantially short on form, particularly Foley and Beale.

I certainly don't think Foley was past it. He had a really down season but then did pretty well once he started in Japan. I can't imagine he'll come back to Australia but I think he's still got some good rugby in him.

And I guess my point was that the team in 2019 wasn’t just a legacy of 2014 ageing wallabies, much of the 2019 roster was a result of decisions making in the 2 season prior.

If we’re going back to the source of this discussion about Rapp, then this reflects poorly decisions made during reign.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Link made the point that squad development includes having some seasoned pros who can do a job about as well, and I am quite certain they are in the hunt for development locks

But they have to want to come for the money they have available, I do note Michael Wood (from QLD?) and Jeremy Williams getting runs at lock

They’ve been in the hunt for development locks for about 5 years now. In that same time the Reds, Rebels, Brumbies have developed guys like Blyth, Hockings, Swain, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Frost, Rodda, Ha’angana and Hosea.

I think I said the exact same thing 12-18 months ago, it’s good they’ve finally got Wood and Williams. But this has been years in the making and was clear to see even from the outside.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
But were those Decisions made by Rapp or by Gibson?

I don't think blame can be laid on either of them solely - maybe both had a share in the roster?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And I guess my point was that the team in 2019 wasn’t just a legacy of 2014 ageing wallabies, much of the 2019 roster was a result of decisions making in the 2 season prior.

Absolutely. I'm not arguing that it wasn't. More that it was a team that should have been moving players on and going through a rebuild sooner rather than trying to bring back players that had been part of the 2014 success.

Gibson didn't do a good job of planning for the future and as such Penney's first year was with a squad that was heading heavily downhill and should have been rebuilding sooner.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, Gibson was "sweating the asset" in 2019, but really, the story of the Tahs is mis-management of resources and playing rosters for most of the history of Super Rugby - no consistency in management approach or staff, no succession planning. I'm sure the board is happy for us to try to blame Gibson, or Rapp, or Dore, that bloke from V8 Supercars, Foley (Michael), Foley (Bernard), etc. There should be more focus on the board level though, with that history.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Both QLD and NSW only manage to get their shit together for fleeting periods, I can’t help but wonder if it’s a burden of been a ‘heartland club’.

You see it in the NRL where clubs with massive junior catchments like Brisbane, Parramatta and Penrith all seem to struggle with consistency and cop criticism for poor recruitment/retention decisions. Whereas the clubs which rely on interstate recruitment(Raiders and Storm) perform relatively consistently.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Gibson was "sweating the asset" in 2019, but really, the story of the Tahs is mis-management of resources and playing rosters for most of the history of Super Rugby - no consistency in management approach or staff, no succession planning.

then Simon Cron leaving at the end of that year to top it all off..

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It's on the match thread. Apart from the lineout, which was just dreadful, it wasn't a bad showing from the Tahs. Can't take too much from it, as there were a lot of players getting a run who we probably won't see play Super this year, and a quite a few test players were rested, particularly from the Reds.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
For mine, the big takeaway from the trial match was how confident Harrison looked at 10. Compared to last season he looked calm in the pocket and played much flatter to the line. Probably my MVP.

Also impressive was Will Harris who was physical in attack and more willing to find work compared to last season where he often looked lost. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some good minutes off the bench this year.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
For mine, the big takeaway from the trial match was how confident Harrison looked at 10. Compared to last season he looked calm in the pocket and played much flatter to the line. Probably my MVP.

Also impressive was Will Harris who was physical in attack and more willing to find work compared to last season where he often looked lost. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some good minutes off the bench this year.

Yea, I recon Will Harris had a blinder. I think he won't just be coming off the bench, I think they will be rotating Harris, Dempsey and Swinton. So should get plenty of game time. Should Swinton, Harris and Harry Wilson remain in Aus rugby I think you will see them battling each other for both the blindside and No 8 positions for the wallabies for years to come. Gordon was outstanding as well. What you want to see from your captain.