• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't get why they didn't - Bankwest is the best stadium in Sydney.

Because the bulk of their membership sits in the Eastern Suburbs, and they also have a commitment to SCG/SFS members too.

While Bankwest would have been a good option on a number of fronts, they still need to cater to their base, most of whom would be travelling one hour plus to get to the stadium.

I think the strategy they have pursued is the right one. It's the least worst option.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He paid lip service to building a dynasty but the Wallabies snatched him up.

The true test of great management is the seamless replacement of key employees through mentorship, structure and a coherent direction

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Because the bulk of their membership sits in the Eastern Suburbs, and they also have a commitment to SCG/SFS members too.

While Bankwest would have been a good option on a number of fronts, they still need to cater to their base, most of whom would be travelling one hour plus to get to the stadium.

I think the strategy they have pursued is the right one. It's the least worst option.
No argument about the demographic of their membership, but what commitment do they have with SFS members?

Here’s a pretty good article on how we got to where we are..

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...tahs-plunged-into-crisis-20210304-p577pq.html

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Blurgh. That first paragraph summarises why the Tahs aren't and won't be shit for a while. Time to expand the horizons from Potts Point to the rest of the state they purport to represent.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Blurgh. That first paragraph summarises why the Tahs aren't and won't be shit for a while. Time to expand the horizons from Potts Point to the rest of the state they purport to represent.

They are damned if they do (because it would be a big financial challenge) and of course its easy to damn them if they don't.

For as long as I have been watching the game, it has been propped up in the main by the wealthier suburbs, and wealthier schools. Even back when NSW Country was as strong as, or stronger than, City, most of Country's players were GPS products, the sons of wealthy graziers and farmers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Waratahs have a contractual agreement with the SCG Trust.

They have received compensation due to not being able to play at the SFS.

They clearly do want to return to the new rectangular stadium at Moore Park once it is built. It should be the best rectangular stadium in the country.

BankWest is excellent but making it their permanent home ground is a) unwise because that's not where a lot of their base resides and b) the lack of a good stadium at Moore Park is temporary.

Lastly, they literally can't play all their home games at BankWest. It is tenanted by Western Sydney Wanderers, Wests Tigers, Parramatta and the Bulldogs so it is in heavy use already. Outside of the Wanderers and Parramatta, all those other teams have multiple home grounds.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

But they've been doing that. Playing games all over the place, as well as in Sydney's east, which is still the easiest place for a lot of their fans to get to.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They are damned if they do (because it would be a big financial challenge) and of course its easy to damn them if they don't.

For as long as I have been watching the game, it has been propped up in the main by the wealthier suburbs, and wealthier schools. Even back when NSW Country was as strong as, or stronger than, City, most of Country's players were GPS products, the sons of wealthy graziers and farmers.

I guess. It's always easier to identify the problem than solve it. It is a giant problem, though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
But they've been doing that. Playing games all over the place, as well as in Sydney's east, which is still the easiest place for a lot of their fans to get to.

Do you mean at the SCG? because fuck that right off. The worst Rugby (sporting?) viewing experience I've ever had.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

They clearly do want to return to the new rectangular stadium at Moore Park once it is built. It should be the best rectangular stadium in the country.

BankWest is excellent but making it their permanent home ground is a) unwise because that's not where a lot of their base resides and b) the lack of a good stadium at Moore Park is temporary.

Lastly, they literally can't play all their home games at BankWest. It is tenanted by Western Sydney Wanderers, Wests Tigers, Parramatta and the Bulldogs so it is in heavy use already. Outside of the Wanderers and Parramatta, all those other teams have multiple home grounds.

You always have great explanations for why mediocre outcomes are acceptable.

Reactions: dru

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Do you mean at the SCG? because fuck that right off. The worst Rugby (sporting?) viewing experience I've ever had.

Yep. It's a pretty shit experience. But they still draw a crowd there, because it's easy and familiar for a lot of members.

I'd love to see them spend a season travelling through the NSW countryside, I really would. Add in a game at Brookvale, one in Wollongong, couple at Bankwest. But with COVID, the membership base, the long term deals with the SCG Trust, I can accept them taking the route they have this year.

And if they are playing like this then it doesn't matter where they play, nobody is going to pay to watch them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Got 2 free tickets as a ref, but due to change in circumstances have to turn them down.

I like Bankwest. Great stadium BUT the public transport links should have been better thought out really. Realistically could have mown flat a large part of the Parramatta CBD that isn't in use, and put it closer to the train station.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Got 2 free tickets as a ref, but due to change in circumstances have to turn them down.

I like Bankwest. Great stadium BUT the public transport links should have been better thought out really. Realistically could have mown flat a large part of the Parramatta CBD that isn't in use, and put it closer to the train station.

Due to the freeway updates and the joints good escape design, it is quicker for me to get home from Bankwest than it is to get home from the SFS despite being twice as far away

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Any agreement they had, fell over with the demolition of the SFS.

I agree they want to move back into Moore park, but that’s not necessarily the optimal choice.

There’s an argument that the best solution would have been to contract 1/2 their games at Moore park, then individual games at Brookvale, parra,Sutherland, Bathurst,Newcastle,Coffs or Port, etc etc.

Let’s be honest, if there were no SCG members at Moore Park the last few years, the on field participants would have outnumbered the crowd.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Once the West Metro comes in (in next 4-5 years I think) then you'll be able to get from the CBD to your seat in about half an hour. It's not perfect but combined with the Westconnex I find it a breeze to get to and from.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)

Just checked google maps. Shortest walking distance Central Station to SFS 1.9km. Shortest walking distance Parra Station (not the closest point of it) to Bankwest 1.5km. A whole 400m shorter. What are you talking about, it needing to be closer?

Just read this article a few minutes ago and thought it gave great insight that a lot of discussions seem to not have. Especially the Rapp / Penney disagreements on play style and squad.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There’s an argument that the best solution would have been to contract 1/2 their games at Moore park, then individual games at Brookvale, parra,Sutherland, Bathurst,Newcastle,Coffs or Port, etc etc.

Something similar to this is largely what has happened.

They have played home games at the SCG, BankWest, Brookvale, Newcastle and Wollongong while the SFS has been unavailable.

The SCG sucks but it has also drawn the biggest crowds and I don't think that is just from the SCG/SFS members.

Brookvale draws a good crowd but is a different demographic who mostly don't go to the games elsewhere and they lose out spectators from elsewhere. One Brookvale game a year is fine in my view but it is terrible to get to.

The SCG is the worst location they're playing at for watching games but the best location in terms of eating and drinking before and afterwards.

They also can't ignore their members. This is the core that has ultimately stuck by the team through thick and thin. That isn't easily replaced just by playing at a different stadium.