• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
“When I left the field at Suncorp I felt pretty uncomfortable,” Gordon said. “By all reports I’ve completely ruptured the anterior and posterior but the medial is still intact, so I don’t have to get surgery."

This quote, attributed to Gordon, was in SMH yesterday. It appears to refer to his knee, not his ankle. If its his knee then we'll next see him in 2022, not this season. I'm totally perplexed.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
“When I left the field at Suncorp I felt pretty uncomfortable,” Gordon said. “By all reports I’ve completely ruptured the anterior and posterior but the medial is still intact, so I don’t have to get surgery."

This quote, attributed to Gordon, was in SMH yesterday. It appears to refer to his knee, not his ankle. If its his knee then we'll next see him in 2022, not this season. I'm totally perplexed.

On the Rugby Heaven he said that it was good news and he'd be back earlier than expected.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

He is talking about the strap like ligaments that run between his tibia and fibula that hold them in the correct position to form the top half of the ankle joint . When you rupture these ligaments the top half of the joint is unstable particularly under load / weight bearing because there is not much else holding the two bones together and you have what is known as a high ankle sprain or syndesmosis injury.

Surgery involves “tying” the bones back together and generally has a longer recovery than if there is some stability remaining and things are left to knit back together. Most likely in a moon boot for 6-8 weeks .

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
When can we put Penney out of his misery and get Cron back into the fold! When you have Hooper and Read arguing over where you will you will end up it’s a good start! https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2021/03/02/michael-hooper-kieran-reid-japan and SMH piece with Cron quotes looks like he is keen! https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...en-to-a-return-to-sydney-20210303-p577je.html

Great way to wreck a promising young coach, putting him in charge of a team under the sort of pressure the Tahs are currently facing. Penney's still a good coach, it would be great if Cron could find a role with him, but I wouldn't be throwing him into the head coach role at this point.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great way to wreck a promising young coach, putting him in charge of a team under the sort of pressure the Tahs are currently facing. Penney's still a good coach, it would be great if Cron could find a role with him, but I wouldn't be throwing him into the head coach role at this point.

Until the Tahs have a home again, they can't grow revenue and no team will compete with a squad worth $1mil less

And that is some time in 2022, so Cron? 2023 is the year

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Until the Tahs have a home again, they can't grow revenue and no team will compete with a squad worth $1mil less

surely they are getting compensation from the govt / SCG Trust?

BIgz20

Stan Wickham (3)
What has cron achieved?

besides 1 shute shield GF - Aust 20s? results were poor

seriously - is he ready for Super Rugby HC?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What has cron achieved?

besides 1 shute shield GF - Aust 20s? results were poor

seriously - is he ready for Super Rugby HC?

and being head hunted by Hanson to coach in Japan

It is a reasonable resume for an upcoming coach as taking over the pile of shit that is the Tahs is not setting your sights too high

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still think until the franchise has some agreement/commitment over rugby philosophy and direction, it doesn't matter

At the moment we have no coherent approach/style that the players/coaches & management have to buy into.

so what coaches do we target for all levels?
what players are part of any plan?
where is the plan for feeder/junior teams to develop that style?

Instead, we expect a new coach to start from scratch and put his stamp on the side, until it is some other coaches time etc etc

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I still think until the franchise has some agreement/commitment over rugby philosophy and direction, it doesn't matter

At the moment we have no coherent approach/style that the players/coaches & management have to buy into.

so what coaches do we target for all levels?
what players are part of any plan?
where is the plan for feeder/junior teams to develop that style?

Instead, we expect a new coach to start from scratch and put his stamp on the side, until it is some other coaches time etc etc

How do you know that?

From what I can see there has been a number of issues. Cheika dealt Gibson a poor hand by pinching most of the staff. Gibson didn't update the roster then split early. Hore/Rapp oversaw all of this and have since bailed. Doorn comes in works out there is no cash and then COVID hits.

I wouldn't imagine a change of coach would improve anything. It is roster management and $$$ holding them back.

I've previously noted my apprehension around Cron. I think he is a good coach however he has only been a professional for a short period of time (3years).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How do you know that?

Evidence? how they play

Look at two of the best SH teams, the Brumbies and the Crusaders

They have clear identities, there is a Brumbies "way", there is a Crusaders "way" They change players and/or coaches and they rumble on in the same style win or lose

Cheika had the Cheika way and I thought that may become the ongoing Tahs "way"

But it never happened

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Evidence? how they play

Look at two of the best SH teams, the Brumbies and the Crusaders

They have clear identities, there is a Brumbies "way", there is a Crusaders "way" They change players and/or coaches and they rumble on in the same style win or lose

Cheika had the Cheika way and I thought that may become the ongoing Tahs "way"

But it never happened

He paid lip service to building a dynasty but the Wallabies snatched him up.