• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently you guys were close to signing Matera, apparently Sydney is his favourite city. Instead he's signed with uhm, NZ's Sydney: Christchurch.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bullshit. As if the Crusaders need Pablo fucking Matera?

God damn we coulda used a bloke like that.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
There was no way the Tahs could sign him, don't forget Matera was recently caught out for being 'not woke' for something he wrote on social media as a teenager... remember what happened to the last Tahs player who offended the woke.... he's still doing time in France.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There was no way the Tahs could sign him, don't forget Matera was recently caught out for being 'not woke' for something he wrote on social media as a teenager. remember what happened to the last Tahs player who offended the woke.. he's still doing time in France.

"Not woke" = extremely racist?

"As a teenager" = representing his country at under 20 World Championships.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Did he do all the things like apologize, say he's matured and changed etc?

If he was actually serious about wanting to come here it's a massive missed opportunity IMO.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Bullshit. As if the Crusaders need Pablo fucking Matera?

God damn we coulda used a bloke like that.

We would have been paying a massive amount of money for our back row, with Hooper there as well. And presumably no topup from RA. Yes, I'd have loved to see him at the Tahs, but not at any cost. Better for him to absorb some of that sweet PE money in NZ, and deprive a possible All Black backrower of some Super Rugby time.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
"Not woke" = extremely racist?

"As a teenager" = representing his country at under 20 World Championships.

"Not woke" = extremely racist? Yes, very racist comments.... not justifying just pointing out the absurdity of the situation that apparently Matera would be a great get for the Tahs despite his sins, yet IF is still not able to sign if he wanted to.

"As a teenager" = representing his country at under 20 World Championships. Under 20 means less than 20 which is by definition a teenager.............

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Under 20 means less than 20 which is by definition a teenager.....

Sure, he was a teenager but I also don't think that makes it an excuse. He was a grown adult representing his country on the world stage.

Did he do all the things like apologize, say he's matured and changed etc?

If he was actually serious about wanting to come here it's a massive missed opportunity IMO.

Absolutely. It came to light last year and needed to be dealt with. There's no reason that needs to be held against him going forth if he was contrite in his apology and convinced everyone that he had changed.

We would have been paying a massive amount of money for our back row, with Hooper there as well. And presumably no topup from RA. Yes, I'd have loved to see him at the Tahs, but not at any cost. Better for him to absorb some of that sweet PE money in NZ, and deprive a possible All Black backrower of some Super Rugby time.

This is 100% on the money.

We can't justify spending more money on our backrow.

We're already looking at playing Hanigan or Swinton at lock predominantly next year. We don't need to sign another 6.

Matera would clearly be better than either of them but that's largely irrelevant.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This is 100% on the money.

We can't justify spending more money on our backrow.

We're already looking at playing Hanigan or Swinton at lock predominantly next year. We don't need to sign another 6.

Matera would clearly be better than either of them but that's largely irrelevant.
Is it? the squad is full of people who are fine, but not great. He's a clear international quality upgrade. The exact kind of player the squad needs.

If we are too broke, then i guess that's just how it is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it? the squad is full of people who are fine, but not great. He's a clear international quality upgrade. The exact kind of player the squad needs.

If we are too broke, then i guess that's just how it is.

Sure, but if we sign an international test captain in the backrow which will arguably be our strongest group of players already with Hooper, Swinton, Hanigan, Harris and Tizzano we're going to be reducing our ability to spend in positions of need massively.

It would be a crazy way to deploy our salary cap when we have plenty of other positions full of 20 year olds or journeymen who are below Super Rugby standard.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tizzano and Harris are kids. As you say, Hanigan will mostly be lock. Swinton is exceedingly overrated.

Besides, who are these international quality locks and tightheads we are about to sign? There aren't any going.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
A foreign international player counts outside of the Cap I believe. The Tahs are allowed one Senior foreign international signing In saying that we have too much money spent on 6, 7, 8 we need hard hitting locks.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I agree with the above comments. What we need to keep our powder dry for are a THP, an experienced quality lock and a try-scoring type winger

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A foreign international player counts outside of the Cap I believe. The Tahs are allowed one Senior foreign international signing In saying that we have too much money spent on 6, 7, 8 we need hard hitting locks.

Yeah but who? i asked that before an no one offered a name. Arnold clearly has no interest. Skelton is a pipe dream IMO.

Anyway, whatever. A miss in my opinion but not going to happen regardless.

Alex Ross (28)
Just about the last thing we need to spend a shit ton of money on is another back rower!

Stick with the things Penny identified on day one. A world class TH and a big effing lock.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
So it's looking possible for Less Kiss to coach the Waratahs and Darren Coleman to the Rebels.

How would people feel about this? Don't know anything about these guys to be honest, but they are pretty highly regarded coaches apparently?