• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Blues - Round 11, Saturday 6 May, Allianz Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
He. Would. Make. His. Own.
Oh, don't mind me, just doing a bit of internetting here on a Sunday morning....

HAjSeat.png

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe these guys need to start having some crap training sessions. Apparently when they train well, they play crap - maybe the reverse is true?

Or could it be that what's going on (or not going on) at training is the problem.

I think it's fairly clear that the Waratahs can only succeed with an abrasive tyrant as head coach.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not sure Gibson can coach, and there's a doubt as to whether kiwis can coach Aussies (I think they assume competence which is dangerous assumption) but this malaise did not start last year: one thing we do know is that it's contagious.

Well without being harsh,so far this year I have not seen any evidence that Saffa coaches, or Aussie coaches for that matter can coach Aussies!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
When the tahs are 5 out why can't skeleton get a head of steam up and receive the ball on An angle and just smash Strait through. He should be impossible to stop on the angle 5m out but not once did he get the ball with any momentum. It should be their go to play

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Seriously the most disappointing part of being at the game was the lack of urgency shown by the leaders (Foley namely) of the team in the second half when the comeback was on. For example little things like kicking the ball into touch quickly, running (not walking) to lineouts and the biggest gripe of mine, not taking a drop goal when your kicking for goal straight in front, instead waiting for the tee and wasting a valuable (in hindsight, but I also yelled out) 2 minutes. These are basic attitude triggers and to me they just weren't there. Definitely a disappointing game yet again and I'm confident it will come together for a full 80 soon.
The only bloke who showed any urgency was Paddy Ryan after his try. Unfortunately he didn't hear the siren had gone as he scored the try so it was effort for nought.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe the Tahs should have agreed to Sydney FC'S request, its not like the Tahs used the ground last night.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Does anyone know if SFS was up to diveball standard today?
The ground may have been but the players weren't.
There were something like 60 fouls in the game.
It is a sad indictment on rugby in this country that we are losing ground to that steaming pile of crap that was dished up tonight - and my team won.
That they could get a full house who are mostly still there calls into question that Sydney siders will only watch the best in a given code.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
This game reminded me a lot of the Canes - Tahs game a few weeks back. Tahs came out with a very defensive mindset and very passive approach and got dominated in the first half by the Blues.

The Blues handling and accuracy in everything they did for the first 40 was pretty impressive - they lack the class playmakers (9/10/15) to really destroy teams like their NZ rivals but aside from that they are a pretty well oiled outfit.

Tahs with nothing to lose in the second half were much better. Ball in hand. Foley and Skelton were excellent. Michael Collins decided to help the Tahs by reverting to type and making some horrendous errors.

The Tahs woeful first halves (v Rebels, Canes, Blues etc) remind me of Kirwan's Blues a few years ago who had almost identical problems. Kirwan was exposed as being a coach who wasn't up to it. Gibson seems to be heading down the same path.

The Ioane brothers are freakishly good.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That they could get a full house who are mostly still there calls into question that Sydney siders will only watch the best in a given code.

They don't go to watch the best in domestic cricket, in the long form of the game anyway.

So there is a bit more to it than that.

BTW, the crowd seemed to be having a great time, although a lot of their enjoyment seemed to be self-generated and perhaps self-referential.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
They don't go to watch the best in domestic cricket, in the long form of the game anyway.

So there is a bit more to it than that.

BTW, the crowd seemed to be having a great time, although a lot of their enjoyment seemed to be self-generated and perhaps self-referential.

That's football world over though. Not a lot happens in football a lot of the time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tahs are clearly the superior Aussie franchise, this round we accumulated more competition points than all the other franchises put together. 1.

Tongue in cheek aside and credit where credit is due the second half was pretty good. The first half was abysmal. They showed they can do it though, but as has been the case for the whole season they need to put it together for 80 minutes. We may well still be the Aussie representation for the first week of the finals, let's hope they can sort their shit by then.

I applaud your optimism KOB, but there are some hurdles the Tahs will need to jump before getting to the top of the conference.

ATM it is really out of the question to describe the Brumbies as the best in the Aus conference because that would imply that they are some way towards being good, but quite clearly they are the least worst of the Aus franchises having earned five losing bonus points. The Tahs have to overtake the Brumbies to get to the top, and they have already been beaten by the Brumbies without an opportunity to reverse the result in a return match. On top of that the Brumbies have the added advantage of having a game in hand so more opportunity to amass a few additional points that the Tahs will have to surmount.

And we all know the Tahs will be over-represented in the June test matches so there is greater chance of injuries affecting their late run home. In the case on injuries too, I think the Brumbies have generally a stronger reserve bench than the Tahs so should be able to handle adversity a little better.

Getting off topic now, so better post and retreat.:)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I applaud your optimism KOB, but there are some hurdles the Tahs will need to jump before getting to the top of the conference.

ATM it is really out of the question to describe the Brumbies as the best in the Aus conference because that would imply that they are some way towards being good, but quite clearly they are the least worst of the Aus franchises having earned five losing bonus points. The Tahs have to overtake the Brumbies to get to the top, and they have already been beaten by the Brumbies without an opportunity to reverse the result in a return match. On top of that the Brumbies have the added advantage of having a game in hand so more opportunity to amass a few additional points that the Tahs will have to surmount.

And we all know the Tahs will be over-represented in the June test matches so there is greater chance of injuries affecting their late run home. In the case on injuries too, I think the Brumbies have generally a stronger reserve bench than the Tahs so should be able to handle adversity a little better.

Getting off topic now, so better post and retreat.:)

There wasn't much optimism about my post, I was just pointing out that it's a possibility. Whichever Australian team is representing us in the finals needs to justify their inclusion by winning all of their remaining matches, our draw is slightly easier than yours but you have an extra game.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Okay, we've made our thoughts known on how terrible that was, but as we move on, are there any positives we can take from it? Well, here's my attempt:
We won the second half 33-14
The lineout was fine, we won all our own throws and delivered clean ball.
The scrum was roughly at parity, we didn't concede a loose head, gave away one scrum penalty and won one scrum penalty.
The defence in the first half, given we had 28% possession and no territory, wasn't that bad, conceding only two tries, one of which was a length of the field one off a kick-off with a very unlucky bounce.
Individually, Latu and Foley continue to perform well, Skelton and Phipps were excellent when they came on after oranges, and Robertson scrummaged well against an international nearly 20kg heavier than him (the one scrum penalty we gave away came on Kepu's side).
That's the best I can do!

Status
Not open for further replies.