• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies 28th June ANZ Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agree Pfitzy, Dennis is a big loss and those that don't see that are blinded..

Fortunately though we do have satisfactory cover for the 6 spot, it's actually hard to work out what the best option is. If it were me I'd run Hoiles there for the next 2 games and start the finals with Skelton at 4 and Potgeiter at 6..

Who is able to come in to the 23 for the next 2 games and be eligible for the finals?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
And if the Brumbies get To'omua and McCabe back for the Force, Lilo has got to go to the bench.....
I would go Lilo 12 McCabe 15.. That game before the break we smashed the Rebels was the best we played. McCabe could end up at 13 though depending on TKs head

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Chapman will come straight in.. Most like replacement for the lineout

Bench maybe, Hoiles will start, there was some strange comments on the telecast about who and how one becomes "legal" for the semis

Four games was stated? Chapman may not get a run as he won't have played enough, McCutheon may get a bench spot

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Bench maybe, Hoiles will start, there was some strange comments on the telecast about who and how one becomes "legal" for the semis

Four games was stated? Chapman may not get a run as he won't have played enough, McCutheon may get a bench spot

that's what I was thinking about Chapman, yes McCutcheon is the most likely

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surely if you're a signed squad member you are automatically eligible for your team in the finals? Particularly if injury has kept you out of games.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tahs have the attack and defence to go the whole way this year, and won't it be good for the Wallabies' chances if they do.

Brumbies have the team to make the finals if results go their way next week and a whole lot of injured players return against the Force. But their game plan doesn't help them against good, counter attacking sides. Think it will be too late to change this year, but for next, Bernie needs to realise you don't score tries by constantly kicking the ball away, and he needs to have confidence in the abilities of his players to play more ball in hand, like the Tahs are this season.

Last night, the Brumbies were in the game as long as their defensive patterns and organisation held up, but they were not able to hold out the numerous Tahs' attacking elements later in the game, and they did very little in attack themselves to try to post scores. No shame on Murphy, but deciding to go with a prop at No2 was a mistake from the beginning. The disrupted lineout was fairly decisive in the way the game unfolded. Surely, there is a hooker in JID comp who could have come in for this game alongside Holmes? Rathbone put in a good effort as always and should be starting whenever the front line wingers are unavailable (Speight and Tomane). Sio very strong and finished on top of Kepu and Ryan. He is a must for the Wallabies' bench behind Slipper.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sio very strong and finished on top of Kepu and Ryan. He is a must for the Wallabies' bench behind Slipper.

I thought Kepu and Sio shared the honours until Kepu went to LHP.

While not disagreeing with your general comment about the Wallabies, I thought that the scrum penalty in the second half against Ryan should have been reversed due to Sio boring in. He was at least 45 degrees angled in at a time when the whole Brumbies team was totally under the pump five metres out.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Surely if you're a signed squad member you are automatically eligible for your team in the finals? Particularly if injury has kept you out of games.

The rules were changed after the Stormers parachuted Schalk Britz in during the 2010 finals.

As I understand it, to be eligible for the finals a player:

* has to be a named member of squad; or
* have played at least four games during the regular tournament and before the finals start; or
* is an injury replacement on proof of injury and if the player is in the country by a certain date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So Chapman is effectively OK then?

I thought Kepu and Sio shared the honours until Kepu went to LHP.

While not disagreeing with your general comment about the Wallabies, I thought that the scrum penalty in the second half against Ryan should have been reversed due to Sio boring in. He was at least 45 degrees angled in at a time when the whole Brumbies team was totally under the pump five metres out.

Agree with this - Sio started well outside him before going in sideways harder than Bill Young.

BUT Ryan was packing too fucking high again, so most times when a ref sees you driven up and not down, he will go with the loosehead. You get away with that in Shute Shield when you're playing for Uni, but not here. Lazy Irish beard.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
re watched the game (sober) this afternoon and geez Palu was absolutely epic. Alofa showed no signs of his injury from the club game, could have possibly been a bit disinterested at concord

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Dennis haters have gotten their wish..

Chapman should come straight in next week and call the lineouts.

Not sure that anyone would wish a third knee injury on a bloke in a position to be capt of potentially winning premiership side. Its a cruel game.

Hoiles has been calling the lineouts when he comes on all year long and pressured the brumbs well last night. Think Chiek will go for the least disruption to his team as he should.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe not with the circumstances but weren't you one of many that wanted Dennis benched?
Yes I was one who thought he didnt feature in the tahs strongest available lineup I also conceded that he had his best game of the year pre the wallabies break and was happy to eat my own words if he continued in that vein. I would assume others like me wouldnt have been death ridding him for such a bad injury

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just watching the game now I'm back in technology-land, Dennis just did his knee. The despair on his face and in his body language is gutting. For guys like him, Horwill, Pocock and Moore, who are good team men that just put in the work, to see these serious injuries is just terrible, not that it isn't awful for anyone.
I hope the boys can go all the way for him.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
re watched the game (sober) this afternoon and geez Palu was absolutely epic. Alofa showed no signs of his injury from the club game, could have possibly been a bit disinterested at concord

Alofa appeared to me to be playing injured. His knee was heavily strapped and when he took the intercept and started off for the tryline I had my heart in my mouth. Over the first 30 metres Lilo was catching him and Lilo is no speedster, but fortunately Alofa settled into stride and Lilo couldn't close any further.

I was pissed off at him for not touching down under the posts. What is it with players just glad to reach the line and not concentrating on guaranteeing an easy conversion?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs the real deal in 2014 . Shame for big Dave. Sorry for the poor bloke.

The Reds are confident, will smoke the Force and will be ready for their biggest game of the year. On form Tahs should beat QLD but I predict a close game with QLD (of course) to win.......

Status
Not open for further replies.