• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies 28th June ANZ Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Could Wallabies performance last week increase the number of supporters in this game? It was really nice to see almost 45,000 in the third test against Frogs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd like to see this

1. Robinson 2. TPN 3. Ryan 4. Skelton 5. Douglas 6. Potgieter 7. Hooper 8. Dennis 9. Phipps 10. Foley 11. Horne 12. Beale 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14. Alofa 15. Folau

16. Latu 17. Tilse 18. Kepu 19. Hoiles 20. Palu 21. McKibbin 22. Lance 23. Carraro

Someone on the forum posted that Alofa was walking very gingerly after Shute with a knee concern. So, that may be an issue.

That's very close to the team I would have posted. My only change would have been to have a 7:2 split on the bench so that we can rest Hooper as soon as we establish a reasonable lead. Some of Hooper's handling screamed out fatigue to me on Saturday. He must have played almost every minute this year. McCutcheon for Lance and we're good to go.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Someone on the forum posted that Alofa was walking very gingerly after Shute with a knee concern. So, that may be an issue.

That's very close to the team I would have posted. My only change would have been to have a 7:2 split on the bench so that we can rest Hooper as soon as we establish a reasonable lead. Some of Hooper's handling screamed out fatigue to me on Saturday. He must have played almost every minute this year. McCutcheon for Lance and we're good to go.

While I think you may be right on the need to rest Hooper, I thought the wallabies had a case of the dropsies more due to getting over excited about crossing the line as there were a few of the boys doing this

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Could Wallabies performance last week increase the number of supporters in this game? It was really nice to see almost 45,000 in the third test against Frogs.

Unlikely. There is far more interest for a Test Match in eastern Sydney than there is for a Waratahs game in Western Sydney.

If the Tahs got 20,000 it would be the biggest crowd of the year - according to austadiums, the attendances have been as follows:

Sun 23/02 v Force @ SFS- 15,785
Sat 01/03 v Reds @ Homebush - 17,580
Fri 21/03 v Rebels @ SFS - Unknown
Sat 19/04 v Bulls @ SFS - 15,773
Sat 03/05 v Hurricanes @ SFS - 17,221
Sun 18/05 v Lions @ SFS - 19,639

The Lions game points to the potential for decent attendance in the last two weeks. The Brumbies game, even at Homebush, potentially decides the top of the Australian conference. The Highlanders will hopefully still be in contention when we face them a week later at the SFS in order to see if the kiwi fans will still come out.

After the Wallabies series, I'm hoping for 30k at Homebush this weekend. I'll be there, perhaps with the wife and kids in tow.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
While I think you may be right on the need to rest Hooper, I thought the wallabies had a case of the dropsies more due to getting over excited about crossing the line as there were a few of the boys doing this

Plus, one of those drops was an utterly shit pass by White.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Good game ruined, the second the fixture game out. People can talk crap about how the public transport is better and more accessible to west blah blah blah but 15k in a 84k stadium is unwatchable on tv and just grim at the ground.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good game ruined, the second the fixture game out. People can talk crap about how the public transport is better and more accessible to west blah blah blah but 15k in a 84k stadium is unwatchable on tv and just grim at the ground.

Fuck wamberal - do you have a second account? Or do you buy your sour grapes with pre-menstrual milkshakes at the same fucking place?

Yeah 45k at the 45k ground would be much better, but the contracts are signed and you can't do shit about it. Might as well get stuck in and try to make it 40k at an 84k ground.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I have a membership to Homebush, and I offer free tickets to staff for anything they want to see out there. I obviously keep the rugby games for myself, but they can go the SOO, AFL, league whatever. The young girl in our office asked me whether the Tahs Brumbies game was available as she really wanted to go. This is the first thing she has asked for tickets for. I took it as a good sign, even though I had to tell her I wasn;t prepared to give them up.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hopefully get some more out to the game should be a cracker, sadly injuries have hurt the Brumbies. But they happen, if they want to win the comp we have to win these ones with put backs against the wall.

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Pftitzy I'm with you. If seeing empty seats above the top tier bothers your viewing experience at home, then you might as well not even get out of bed in the morning. When you're that much of a dour fluffybunny, nothing is going to make you happy.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Pftitzy I'm with you. If seeing empty seats above the top tier bothers your viewing experience at home, then you might as well not even get out of bed in the morning. When you're that much of a dour fluffybunny, nothing is going to make you happy.

It's not just empty seats above the top tier, these games rarely even fill out the lower bowl ffs.

As usual people on here, people like to stick their head out and and repeat "she'll be right attitude" over and over again rather than criticise the actions of the ARU and it's Franchises while back in reality, Rugby Union is up shit creek. It's a terrible look for the game and what should be a premium event for Rugby in Australia is now just another lost opportunity.

Compare the game on saturday or Origin 2 to anyone at an empty homebush. A full house and atmosphere can make a dour match into an entertaining one. Every Non-Rep game at Homebush (whether NRL, Swans or Waratahs) feels dead because there is no one there to create an atmosphere and gives an impression that there is little on the line.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I hope the game gets a good attendance, but Homebush Stadium or whatever it is called now is just a horrible venue.

I was there for the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics and even with that once in a lifetime event it was a terrible place from the upper tiers, so remote from the action you are literally better off watching it on TV which most did (on the big screens).

T

Train Without a Station

It's not just empty seats above the top tier, these games rarely even fill out the lower bowl ffs.

As usual people on here, people like to stick their head out and and repeat "she'll be right attitude" over and over again rather than criticise the actions of the ARU and it's Franchises while back in reality, Rugby Union is up shit creek. It's a terrible look for the game and what should be a premium event for Rugby in Australia is now just another lost opportunity.

Compare the game on saturday or Origin 2 to anyone at an empty homebush. A full house and atmosphere can make a dour match into an entertaining one. Every Non-Rep game at Homebush (whether NRL, Swans or Waratahs) feels dead because there is no one there to create an atmosphere and gives an impression that there is little on the line.

Your tv must be a lot better than mine as I can't feel too much atmosphere from any sport on tv due to the commentators drowning out the crowd anyway.

I'll stick to my original point that if the crowd affect yours your enjoyment in your own lounge room, that probably says more about you than the entertainment.

Oh and never did I say it wasn't ideal to have the biggest crowd possible, but it doesn't seem to affect the NRL.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)

@Melbourne Terrace, as it's been previously mentioned, the deal is done, the contracts are signed.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is only 1 or maybe 2 years left out there. There is no way out of the situation.
No one agrees with it, but most have come to the realisation that banging on about it goes no where, it won't change till the contract is over.
The Waratahs signed that contract when the attendance numbers were higher & ANZ stadium paid more per head than the SFS, it was an economical decision.

Yes it should be a premium event, but up until the last 18 months the product wasn't exactly appealing.

To help bring Rugby back to it's best, people need to attend, the guys are playing their hearts out. They turn up, so should the fans.

I do disagree with you in regards to the atmosphere out there with a packed stadium, I have been there for SOO decider 2013 & 2013 Lions tour, the NRL grand final 2010 (Roosters V Dragons). To me each of those events felt flat, and I was sitting next to Blatcheys Blues for SOO. The place is a vacuum.

The only real solution is to turn up, each an every one of you. Turn up, make some noise, make the guys feel the crowds presence. Nothing is achieved by sitting at home, watching it on the TV & saying it looks empty.
Yes getting there can be annoying, but people still manage to get there for the Easter Show, SOO, some Test series & any number of concerts out there.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Ok, so back to the point: the contracts are signed. The schedule is set.

What do you think your pre-teeny keyboard warrior pissing and moaning is going to achieve between now and Saturday?

How the fuck, in your impotent, whining rage, are you going to turn this into a win, and avoid this lost opportunity, in six days?

Well? We're waiting, genius.

There is no avenue to turn this scenario into a win, the "opportunity" was lost the second the contract was signed to play games at ANZ Stadium. How can people actually defend this? The statistics don't lie, over recent years there is insufficient demand from the Sydney public to watch Rugby Union at ANZ Stadium compared to the SFS. Waratahs crowds are about the same or worse and Wallabies attendances at the venue have been declining or similar but with larger proportion of away supporters.

If people just want to stay quiet with their heads in the sand, nothing will change. As usual when it comes to renewal time the suits will probably resign for the dollars because the supporters haven't made their opinion clear enough on the issue.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
If people just want to stay quiet with their heads in the sand, nothing will change. As usual when it comes to renewal time the suits will probably resign for the dollars because the supporters haven't made their opinion clear enough on the issue.

Unlikely, it has been brought up with the organisation & if I recall correctly it was mentioned at the fan forum a few years ago that they understand that it's not a good idea.
Logistically it's a annoying for the game day staff, they have to cart everything there & back again as there is no storage there.

At the end of each season the members get to fill in a survey & all the members I know always voice their opinions about Homebush as a venue. I don't think any ever say it's a good venue.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
As usual people on here, people like to stick their head out and and repeat "she'll be right attitude" over and over again rather than criticise the actions of the ARU and it's Franchises while back in reality, Rugby Union is up shit creek.

Have you actually read the threads on G&GR? If so, how you can say people on G&GR don't criticise the ARU and the franchises?

Like many others, I don't like going out to Homebush, but rather than carrying on, I will be out there to support the team. I will wear the gear and chat about rugby in person and online too.

I can understand Tahs HQ signing the contract to play games out there if it meant getting a few extra $$$ as they aren't exactly rolling in cash. Better to play out there than fall into administration again.

People don't want to go out to Homebush? Easy, then turn up to the SFS home games so it makes it compelling for Tahs HQ to stage all games back there!

Status
Not open for further replies.