• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, SFS Saturday 26 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure if SANZAR would allow Walsh to ref a final with an Australian team?

I thought they were doing neutral refs from now on but with Glen doing the Crusaders match they don't seem to care, final could be a different story however.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I couldn't get my edit in quick enough...........

And I just remembered that Joubert did the Bulls - Brumbies semi in Pretoria last year..........

But SANZAR then flew him across to Hamilton for the final, so I suspect there would be a neutral for the big match next week...........

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Jaco Peyper will be the ref, surprisingly Jackson is refereeing Crusaders vs Sharks and no Steve for the weekend.

I reckon Steve will do the final.

Stand corrected.
If the final is Aus team vs NZ team, would Walsh still be in the mix.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I suppose the thinking is that if it's an Aus/NZ final, Joubert will do it and if it's Aus/SA....It will have to be Pollock.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jaco Peyper has refereed both sides twice this season.

He refereed the first match between the two sides in Canberra where the Brumbies won.

He also refereed the Waratahs victory over the Rebels in Sydney and the Rebels victory over the Brumbies in Melbourne.

I think we can safely say that this doesn't mean very much :D

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There are four finals before the big one. Each final has a different referee, so that SANZAR have a choice of referees depending on the participants, with each one having an audition on the big stage.

This isn't week-to-week appointments any more, and I think I pointed out the possibility of these two refs being selected this week based on the appointments last week.

In the event it is Aussie v Saffer, Jackson will probably get the gig.

In the event it is Aussie v Kiwi, either Joubers or Peyper will get a shot at it, based on their performance.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The appointment of Peyper means that it will be a free-for-all at the breakdown and the Brumbies are going to love it. He likes to let the players sort it out generally which is a strength, but he has trouble clamping down on the professional stuff early in the game for either side.

Depending on the directives coming down from SANZAR, the game in Sydney could be ugly as fuck.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He did end up yellow carding two Brumbies for repeated infringements in the game at the start of the season although he took a long time to get to that point.

He also yellow carded Fardy when the Brumbies lost to the Rebels.

I reckon he's generally pretty decent and without looking back through all his games, the better side tends to win which is what you want.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He did end up yellow carding two Brumbies for repeated infringements in the game at the start of the season although he took a long time to get to that point.

Late yellow cards have less effect on a game than early ones, IMHO.

Note I said the game, not the result.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Paddy Ryan will be interesting, his scrummaging has been up and down all season, he smashes the Highlanders (who were destroyed by the Sharks)

Has he improved or was it just the Highlanders?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Paddy Ryan will be interesting, his scrummaging has been up and down all season, he smashes the Highlanders (who were destroyed by the Sharks)

Has he improved or was it just the Highlanders?

You'd imagine he'll be on the bench and be more likely to come up against Ruan Smith more than Scott Sio for most of his minutes.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You'd imagine he'll be on the bench and be more likely to come up against Ruan Smith more than Scott Sio for most of his minutes.

Most likely. Gotta say I haven't been impressed with Ruan Smith from what I've seen. Looks OK around the park but would have thought his scrummaging would be better for a Saffer age rep.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Most likely. Gotta say I haven't been impressed with Ruan Smith from what I've seen. Looks OK around the park but would have thought his scrummaging would be better for a Saffer age rep.

I have not been impressed with either of the Smiths this season. When either of them come on things usually go downhill, with both of them on its only backwards and down. I suspect Sio and Alexander will play a lot of minutes this week.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I have not been impressed with either of the Smiths this season. When either of them come on things usually go downhill, with both of them on its only backwards and down. I suspect Sio and Alexander will play a lot of minutes this week.
I guess we're even on the replacement props then.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JP Smith actually played pretty well while Sio was out injured........

He even put in some strong scrummaging performances during that time.........

It's disappointing that he hasn't been able to replicate that form off the bench since.........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
JP Smith actually played pretty well while Sio was out injured....

He even put in some strong scrummaging performances during that time...

It's disappointing that he hasn't been able to replicate that form off the bench since...

And won't for another few weeks after injuring his knee a few weeks ago

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Brumbies get up in this one. They have the set piece and the kicking game to choke the Tahs out of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.