• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, SFS Saturday 26 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not that happy to see Peyper getting the reffing gig this week. For me, he doesn't have a great feel for the game. In any game there are hundreds of infringements; some are important some are not. Peyper for mine often penalises inconsequential stuff and doesn't penalise infringements that are really important for allowing the game to flow. For example, he would never card someone early for a try-preventing illegality 5 metres out - he would go through a process of warning the offending team then maybe carding the next try-preventing infringement.

He's usually quite technically correct in his judgement, but doesn't prioritise penalties well. Sort of like knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing. That can mean that teams that push the breakdown and offside boundaries early can get an absolute roll on, until he finally starts to react, by which time the patterns are set.

He's who we've got though, we'll just have to adapt and play well enough to keep him out of the equation.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm not that happy to see Peyper getting the reffing gig this week. For me, he doesn't have a great feel for the game. In any game there are hundreds of infringements; some are important some are not. Peyper for mine often penalises inconsequential stuff and doesn't penalise infringements that are really important for allowing the game to flow. For example, he would never card someone early for a try-preventing illegality 5 metres out - he would go through a process of warning the offending team then maybe carding the next try-preventing infringement.

He's usually quite technically correct in his judgement, but doesn't prioritise penalties well. Sort of like knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing. That can mean that teams that push the breakdown and offside boundaries early can get an absolute roll on, until he finally starts to react, by which time the patterns are set.

He's who we've got though, we'll just have to adapt and play well enough to keep him out of the equation.

It seem that half the time he will only make a decision when he is compelled to do so. Thus why late in games it degenerates and the yellow cards appear - finally. Fingers crossed he has a good game and sets the tone early and he doesn't influence the outcome.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Hopefully the next two weekends will be the start of something big for Aussie rugby. Get along and support 'em folks.

Yep, regardless of which province or your allegiance, this is about OUR game, so show your support - we wanted to be on show so here our chance! Regardless of the result we all need to make sure the game is the winner out of this.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies will have this on their wall.

I wonder who will be defending Speight? Would you move Horne back there and keep Beale in the midfield?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The appointment of Peyper means that it will be a free-for-all at the breakdown and the Brumbies are going to love it. He likes to let the players sort it out generally which is a strength, but he has trouble clamping down on the professional stuff early in the game for either side.

Depending on the directives coming down from SANZAR, the game in Sydney could be ugly as fuck.

Pfitzy, didn't you post almost exactly the same comments prior to the Brumbies/Chiefs match only with Joubert replacing Peyper in the first sentence?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies will have this on their wall.

I wonder who will be defending Speight? Would you move Horne back there and keep Beale in the midfield?

I am fired up with anticipation at the prospect of Matt To'omua monstering KB (Kurtley Beale) in defence (again) and Henry running rings around him in attack. I can also see KB (Kurtley Beale) opening up the Brumbies defensive line with Izzy on his shoulder. Should be a great contest.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Any injury news or is everyone right to go?

Can't imagine the Brumbies making any changes.

Tahs get Horne and Izzy back but otherwise presumably the same. Unless they bring in Potgieter to strengthen the lineout a bit.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Looks like Cheika's got a choice of Betham, big Taqele and Crawford for the final spot on the bench. A bit tough on the last two if Betham gets the nod, big Taqele and Cam have produced the goods the recent few matches while Peter, surely, needs more minutes under his belt to be fully match-fit. However, it must be comforting for Cheika to have a full(ish) complement of players from whom to select his match day squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
None out of Lance, Carraro, Naiyaravoro, Betham or Crawford played Shute Shield last weekend.

Interestingly Roach did play for Eastwood which suggests to me that Latu is the likely reserve for TPN (even though SMH included Roach in their potential side).

I'd be surprised if they pick Betham after such a long absence with zero rugby under his belt. That to me would be a mistake.

Assuming Lance and Carraro are both fit that choice is difficult. Lance was under an injury cloud after the Reds game and Carraro has been out for a few weeks and hasn't played any rugby since returning.

If Carraro is actually fit I expect a bench of:

Latu, Tilse, Ryan, Skelton, Chapman, McKibbin, Carraro, Naiyaravoro.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pfitzy, didn't you post almost exactly the same comments prior to the Brumbies/Chiefs match only with Joubert replacing Peyper in the first sentence?
He did indeed, his also vocal about Brumbies being offside and always infringing at the ruck. His just worried.

Tahs favorites, But as a Brumbies fan Im calling for an ambush, Ponies by 8.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He did indeed, his also vocal about Brumbies being offside and always infringing at the ruck. His just worried.

Of course he's fucking worried (English language - try it).

I'm within spitting distance of a grand final appearance and all that stands in the way are a bunch of pseudo-South Africans and their small minded fans. Despite finishing clear minor premiers, no-one is going to remember that if we go down now.

Suppose Brumbies fans will still claim some kind of moral victory regardless of the outcome, but they're not a snowball's hope in hell of winning in Christchurch after the absolute demolition job they copped last time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
WAR: Folau, Alofa, Ashley-Cooper, Beale, Horne, Foley, Phipps; Palu, Hooper (c), Hoiles, Douglas, Potgieter, Kepu, Polota-Nau, Robinson.

WAR replacements (two to be omitted): Ryan, Tilse, Latu, Skelton, Chapman, McCutcheon, McKibbin, Naiyaravoro, Carraro, Crawford.

I think we can probably assume McCutcheon and Crawford will be the two omitted.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, no surprises there. As discussed it really is only a question of Carraro versus Crawford - a decision made more difficult by Crawford's game against the Reds where, by all accounts, he played well.

If we are beaten this weekend, you can't say we didn't have the personnel to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.