• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Chiefs - Round 14 - Friday 27 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I thought the Chiefs looked like they were in trouble as soon as the Tahs started their pick and drive last night Babaa, and think at times they may not have been able to do it because teams don't always give way in forwards as the Chiefs seemed to be prepared to last night, it was almost what Saders did to Tahs last week. Thought some of Chiefs forwards shirked their duties a bit last night, with Rettalic and Cane perhaps being the exceptions, but don't want to harp on about it as I think it could sound like I taking away from how good the Tahs played, which I'm not.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Another observation.....
Last night, the field looked like it was in pretty good condition with the grass being cut a bit shorter than "normal". With the westerly winds blowing - they played in slightly drier conditions too.........and all of a sudden, the amount of dropped ball from recent matches vanishes ( well almost, anyway).
And no ground disintegration at scrum time !
(Cudos to the SFS Ground Staff)
We saw a team playing with confidence and ball in hand - and at speed.
Pretty good to watch, IMHO - and the result was a testament to their commitment.

Now, to repeat that performance a few more times...........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Another observation...
Last night, the field looked like it was in pretty good condition with the grass being cut a bit shorter than "normal". With the westerly winds blowing - they played in slightly drier conditions too...and all of a sudden, the amount of dropped ball from recent matches vanishes ( well almost, anyway).
And no ground disintegration at scrum time !
(Cudos to the SFS Ground Staff)
We saw a team playing with confidence and ball in hand - and at speed.
Pretty good to watch, IMHO - and the result was a testament to their commitment.

Now, to repeat that performance a few more times.....

I did predict pre-game that 3 days of westerlies would result in a dry pitch and great conditions for a ball in hand game - unusual for night games in Sydney where the dew normally comes in by kickoff. Glad that the Waratahs were able to take advantage of it. Hopefully mohter nature can oblige for future home games.:)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Have to agree with Gagger re Horwitz & Lucas. While Horwitz is young, in his first season of Super Rugby and does some good things and could possibly develope, Lucas has been around for a few years now and just doesn't seem up to it.
Might be worth having a look at Jake Gordon off the bench, I hate the idea of Lucas having to start some day.
Horwitz is two years younger, but has been contracted with Tahs for three years.
Lucas had a one year EPS contract prior to this year.
Every time Horwitz steps on the field,he proves he's not up to it.
Lucas had his worst game last night,but IMO is far and away the next best 9 after Phipps.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Horwitz is two years younger, but has been contracted with Tahs for three years.
Lucas had his worst game last night,but IMO is far and away the next best 9 after Phipps.

Horwitz needs some time in SS to get his game right.

I'm an admirer of Lucas at SS level, but if he's the second best half in NSW we're in strife.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well it brings some truth to Daryl Gibson's assertion that the Tahs have been building. Set pieces (scrums esp) have really picked up,

See, that's the bit that makes approximately zero fucktons of sense to me. Your set piece shouldn't start out THAT shit, and suddenly be world beating.

That's what a fucking pre-season is for. You lazy, fat fucks.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gibson must have a lot of faith in Horwitz - to take Rob Horne off when the game was still in the balance and let him close out the game. I know the commentators mentioned Horne looked tired, but it was still a big call for me (unless Horne was injured, which he wasn't to my knowledge). I'm not saying his faith in him is well placed or not, but it was a pretty big call in the context of the game for mine.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have only seen highlights, but concerning for the Tahs must be their wide defence. Blokes just completely unmarked, and only an intercept prevented a try.

Chiefs have big problems up the middle. I seem to remember the Reds absolutely reaming them with a pick n go game a few years back. Funny how that works - start popping those inside balls, crack a wide defence. They compress, you go wide.

Not rocket surgery.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Last night, the field looked like it was in pretty good condition with the grass being cut a bit shorter than "normal".

The SFS surface was completely relaid three weeks ago, before the Bulls match. As for being shorter, there was an Asian Champions League soccer game with Sydney FC there on Wednesday, FIFA are bloody particular on ground and grass.

Gibson must have a lot of faith in Horwitz - to take Rob Horne off when the game was still in the balance and let him close out the game. I know the commentators mentioned Horne looked tired, but it was still a big call for me (unless Horne was injured, which he wasn't to my knowledge).
A manager or medico (not St Sharon) looked at Horne as soon as he went off, Rob then went down the players' tunnel. One can only presume he was injured.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gibson must have a lot of faith in Horwitz - to take Rob Horne off when the game was still in the balance and let him close out the game. I know the commentators mentioned Horne looked tired, but it was still a big call for me (unless Horne was injured, which he wasn't to my knowledge). I'm not saying his faith in him is well placed or not, but it was a pretty big call in the context of the game for mine.

Horne looked very good at 12, demonstrated he can catch, draw and pass (and with Folau outside him you know that makes sense) along with crash ball and his ever present defense

The other unit that really picked up was Lousi, he has been very average this season and then he comes out and does stuff, must be contract renewal time.

Horwitz looks to be trying too hard and Lucas looks slow after Phipps, but so does every other half in the country.

It is funny, in the SS behind the big Manly pack he looks like a superstar, but with a less dominant pack who play at a higher tempo he looks not as effective. That said, he sets up tries and can do some very good things.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Horne looked very good at 12, demonstrated he can catch, draw and pass (and with Folau outside him you know that makes sense) along with crash ball and his ever present defense.
Horne had issues early in his career performing to his potential and avoiding injuries, but if all of our you guys 'with potential' developed as well as Horne over their career there would be a lot less angst on here.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Haven't watched enough of the chiefs - do they always commit so few to the "ruck" defensively? The majority of Tahs ball in the second half was only ever a tackle.

Just gave the Tahs so much quick ball - and they were good enough to get over the advantage line with it.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
The SFS surface was completely relaid three weeks ago, before the Bulls match. As for being shorter, there was an Asian Champions League soccer game with Sydney FC there on Wednesday, FIFA are bloody particular on ground and grass.

A manager or medico (not St Sharon) looked at Horne as soon as he went off, Rob then went down the players' tunnel. One can only presume he was injured.

Rob Horne seemed like he had a groin injury. Had a bag of ice down his shorts.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Chiefs by 13'ish unfortunately

Chiefs by a comfortable margin - @fatprop is on the money I think.

There's that bloody optimism again ;)

Chiefs by about 22. Gotta admit, they're

mugatu.jpg

Tough game to watch for me, my 2 favourite teams. Would love to see the Tah's get up for the win, but realistically the Chiefs will crush the Tahs tonite, just too much class, skill, accuracy and attitude! Chiefs by 12.

Oh ye of little faith!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

I don't get the Lucas haters. All season he has come on and played like a finisher should. In my opinion he is as good as Frisby, who I remain unimpressed with, and streets ahead of Stirzacker, Mathewson and Dowsett/Powell. I'm glad to have him as Phipps backup.

Having Cubelli at the Brumbies and Mathewson at the Force is not doing Australian rugby any good at all.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Haven't watched enough of the chiefs - do they always commit so few to the "ruck" defensively? The majority of Tahs ball in the second half was only ever a tackle.

Just gave the Tahs so much quick ball - and they were good enough to get over the advantage line with it.

Yeah, it's something they do to get around the offsides laws and put huge pressure on receivers in the backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.