• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Force, round 1, Sunday 15 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The execution in the backline was terrible. The number of passes that caused a runner to stop and catch the ball behind them was unbelievable.

One of the main hallmarks of 2014 was how good their execution was and constantly putting the ball out in front of the man.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haven't seen the replay, and not sure that i'd be too keen to do so, I'll probably give it a go sometime this week. My thoughts/observations from the ground were:

In a surprise move, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) decides to try and pass the ball: 3 times IIRC. No way am I going to drink the overpriced sweet brown liquid sold at the stadium masquerading as Beer to celebrate, so beers had to wait until the return home. He also spilled the pill in contact more times than I can recall. He gets plenty of practice at going to ground with the ball more than most, so it is certainly a surprise to see this AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doppelganger play. His execution on the whole was poor.

Beale was worser, probably the most worstest of them all. He seemed to be playing as if he was back at SJC1 trying to recreate the razzle dazzle schoolboy rugby that he was able to execute so successfully against 17 and 18 year old kids. The Force, is seems, didn't deserve to be respected as professional sportsmen.

Taqele BigFellaLongName was a passenger at best, and an albatross at worst. He offered little on attack, suffering dropsies like the many of his teammates, and nothing on defence. It probably doesn't help a loig convert that the defensive structures varied significantly according to the phase of play. Plenty of the rugby background folk in Blue seemed confused as to where their designated position was and what role they were to perform.

Foley seemed out of sorts with some very ordinary kicking, and was bullied for time and space by the aggressive Force defence.

Horne was already playing out of position on the wing, but he and Izzy seemed to be all over the show, constantly defending and attacking (yeah right) from random positions, with no one really covering their usual space when they were

As well as almost zero defence in the #14 wing channel, the A and B channel defenders at the breakdowns (some call these the "10" and "20" positions, but I mean the first two blokes next to the breakdown) seemed to be more interested in what the rest of the defence line was doing, rather than driving the Force probes in their channel backwards. The canny Force exploited this weakness time and time again, and the Tah's never seemed to add any starch in this area to try and convince their opponents to try to crack the line elsewhere.

What is it with the inaccurate and poorly thought out kicks? If you can't do a job professionally, then perhaps it is best not to try to do the job at all. Time to hire an Aussie Rules bloke to teach the Tahs kickers how to kick, or not kick at all.

Is Andrew Mehrtens still the Tahs part time "Kicking Coach"? If so, he needs to have his hours increased.

The Tahs set piece seemed to be very effective, with probably 4 tightheads, and 4 lineout wins. Usually a team that can secure 8 set piece turnovers will win a game comfortably. Poor decision making and equally poor execution by the Tahs negated this potentially massive advantage.

Ben Robinson ran into contact too high with poor ball security. For a long term International standard fatty, he sure played some park grade footy in all but the set piece.

Imitating some of his predecessors in Club Wallaby, TGC seemed to be reluctant to use the fresh legs from the bench until it was too late for them to have a genuine impact on the game. While the Tahs lifted in the final 10 minutes of the game, the damage was done and it was a case of too little too late. I was trying to work out what the Tahs game plan was because it seemed to be to complex for this scribe, and more importantly it seemed to be beyond the capacity of Tahs to execute it against a motivated and confident opponent.

Axel Foley seemed to have done his homework on the Tahs, and he prepared his team accordingly and armed them with a simple but effective game plan that they executed well. There wasn't much evidence to suggest that the same was done by the Tahs.

Crowd was a pinch over 20000, but they seemed to make less noise (rated at 120 on the Pfitzometer) than that produced by the smattering of Force Fans who were there (rated at 125 on the Pfitzometer) Couldn't even hear @Pfitzy.

Not all that impressed with the kids who were booing and yelling abuse at the Force Kickers when they lined up shots at goal. Maybe it is the Irish blood in me, but I think that is a little too Aussie Rules-ish behaviour. The kickers are professional enough to block that sort of stuff out anyway so all it does is confirm how poorly these kids have been taught the values and principles of being a good sport. In a Jesuit sense, the die has already been cast for these poor things.

My mob got done like a dogs breakfast, but afternoon footy is still great and arriving home when it is still light is a great bonus.

Best for the Force was Hodgson (Edit to correct typo) McCalman. Would have been Alby M, who played a blinder but he lost out on a recount due to his Yellow Card.

TL;DR:
Tahs were bad, especially Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), & Naiyaravoro. They had enough opportunities to win the game comfortably but were unable to do so because of poor decision making and execution.

Force were good. They had a simple game plan, which was executed well, proving that they respected their opponents enough to have done some homework on them. They created scoring opportunities through their aggressive defence and attack.

Congratulations to the Force, who were just too good on the day, having out thought and out played the Tahs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Beale was worser, probably the most worstest of them all. He seemed to be playing as if he was back at SJC1 trying to recreate the razzle dazzle schoolboy rugby that he was able to execute so successfully against 17 and 18 year old kids. The Force, is seems, didn't deserve to be respected as professional sportsmen.

Very unlike you to be so negative HJ - but you're on the money, IMO

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep, it was tough to watch as a Tahs supporter, but I think a tonne of credit mush be given to the Force players and coaching staff.

They played the Tahs like a Stradivarius.

The question being, why didn't anyone in Tahland expect this game plan from the Force? It wasn't as if it was unexpected was it?:confused:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The question being, why didn't anyone in Tahland expect this game plan from the Force? It wasn't as if it was unexpected was it?:confused:

I see the Tahs as being the embodiment of a team who is only really interested in how they plan to play the game: you don't see them working out ways to isolate perceived weaknesses in their opponents.
So there's no plan b its crash or rash through.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I can see the sense in it to a degree: build a game plan that the opposition can't live with and execute it well. There are going to be times when that doesn't work though.

Agree.
Off topic - its a big ask to make it work at test level and i think Cheika might have worked that out last year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I see the Tahs as being the embodiment of a team who is only really interested in how they plan to play the game: you don't see them working out ways to isolate perceived weaknesses in their opponents.
So there's no plan b its crash or rash through.

Trouble was, there didn't seem to be a plan A yesterday either. There was no perceivable plan at all. It was almost as if Robbie Deans had snuck in to training while Cheika was in Canberra.;)

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
When Big Will had ball in hand I sort of expected to see one or two options in a position to take an offload , he's not that quick but alas there didn't seem to be anyone there . The squad just seemed to lack urgency , getting to the breakdown is fine but those magic moments seem to occur when an attacker is available for the offload . The Waratahs just seemed to put more pressure on themselves against a more than willing opponent . Folau is overmarked which should create other options , you sense the skills and ability are there but it just seemed there was too much one off running without support . Hopefully a tongue lashing from Cheik's will recalibrate the intent otherwise I might go long a few glass doors due to increased demand . Oh , and well deserved Force ! Ouch ....

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No plan? It was there. It was pretty much what they did last year, fast recycle, runners in motion, aggressive breakdown work in attack and defence. At least that was what they were trying to do. The "plan" could be seen. The execution of said plan was just plain old poor. Yes, they got plenty of ball, yes, they sort of had runners to take it up but the motion was too lateral. They dropped most of it. I will credit the defence at times, but the Force just played a patient game until a crack emerged and scored.
To me, it was the same plan, just very, very poorly executed.
With the scrum work (tick) and line out going nicely for a change (tick) there was ample opportunity and ball to win the game, and the second Tahs try was nicely done. But it was close to the only well-executed bit of play they managed.
I don't think the basic plan was the issue, but a backup to get out of the shit was glaringly absent. Something like kick to the corners, make them play some set pieces under pressure in their half, get some points and a roll on. The Force never really got pressured. And that was mainly due to their smarter approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I kind of thought the problem was that the Waratahs tried to play the way they played in the run to the finals (including the finals), but they didn't have some of the basic components in place that they worked on earlier last season. If they played a simpler, slower game against the Force and with the set piece dominance they had, I reckon we could have been creamed. Instead it kind of seemed like there was too much urgency (or urgency in the wrong places). Passes made too quickly and erratically, offloads that got spilled that didn't need to be made, don't get me started on Beale's chip kick.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Also good to see Skelton play the full 80. Went ok and hope he keeps it going.
Yeah, it was. And he seemed to be going quite well to the end too. In not easy conditions. One of the few little glimmers of positivity for us Tahs fans from that game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Skelton basically walked the last 15 minutes. But It's good to see him making the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.