• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders, semi-final, Saturday 27 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Too much grunt and class in NSW forwards for the Highlanders I'd say.

I don't think even Ben Smith will save them from a defeat.
Hope to fuck I'm wrong though.

You would think so but the Clan pack just don't take a backward step. They may only reach parity sometimes but they never get bitched (most under rated pack in my view). End result they always have an attacking platform.

There are no flakes in their backs either. All capable in defense and players like Buckman and Treeby foil the attacking weapons well.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
With Hardie and Pryor gone, I pity whatever journeyman is going to be thrown in against Hoo-pah.

Question: Both teams wear Blue. Who will wear their second strip next week?

They are different shades of blue and can be easily differentiated buuuut if a team should wear their second strip, must be the away team. In addition the Tahs second jersey is ugly, gray :confused: I prefer the green one of Landers.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Tahs fans should be a lot less concerned about jersey colour and a lot more concerned about the juggernaut that will want to smack seven shades of shit out of their team on Saturday. This isn't just any juggernaut, not much fucks with you like a Clan side does when they decide it's their time. If the Tahs aren't up about 150% on the game verse the Reds they are in big trouble.

Clan by 15.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Please, when's the last time we lost to a NZ side at home. Not sure why you think the Reds game was the standard for the Tahs, we had nothing to play for and just wanted the game over with and well still won by 30. Must've missed the game against the Saders who have had some pretty strong 2nd half season form.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I am happier to face the Clan than I would be about facing the Stormers. They play a style way more suited to our style of game than the Stormers, whose physicality and defence we always struggle with (including at home this season).

Not going to be easy by any stretch, but I'm quietly confident they won't be able to match our physicality.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think the Clan will have a physicality issue. They play strongly across the park and then they have the Smiths and Their outside backs to add the thrust in attack. Tahs will need to be on their game, whole game. Do that and they (Tahs) should get the win in a very close encounter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Absolutely the Waratahs will need to play very well to win but I certainly think the Highlanders are a better match up for us and a team we're more likely to play well against.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep the Clan will be in Green, that their away strip, no way will 2 teams be in Blue no matter how different the Blue is. Think Pryor will be a loss, he plays bloody well, and I don't think would be worried about the Tahs 'Cheika style', hopefully Wheeler maybe right. Think the Clan may take a day or 2 to recover from last nights game, it was fairly physical.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I've been waiting a while to see the Highlanders make the playoffs and by the looks of them they have their heads on and are chomping at the bit to go all the way.
If they beat the Tahs in Sydney then they will well and truly earn their ticket to the big one but I reckon they can do it!
The Clan by 6.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Highlanders are a quality team and no-one on these threads should underestimate them. Home ground advantage and a week off give the Waratahs a slight edge, but we'll have to bring our A game to this. I'm reasonably confident that we can win, but I suspect that the game will be close. Hopefully Joubert has the whistle.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They beat us in Dunedin because we went to sleep, and they got a couple of breakaway tries. But this time they'll be hardened from recent weeks.

We will hopefully be a bit fresher and can finish over the top of them - but we need to shut down their inside men or Naiyaravoro is going to get moidered.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Tahs will need to really smash the Highlanders at the gain line in this game and kick very, very well. That Highlander counter attack is absolutely lethal. I would think that keeping the pill in hand and focusing on accurate clean out will be emphasised at training this week. That and working out ways to keep Aaron Smith quiet. He is clearly the fulcrum for that team and is in everything positive that they do. I'd expect Phipps and Potgeiter will be given assignments to shut him down.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
can't make up my mind on this, as a kiwi I want Clan to win, as an All Black fan, I not quite as worried, as I wouldn't be averse to the Smiths having a bit of a break before the RC. Although it would be great to have a Canes (if they make it)- Clan final, the All Blacks actually have a test next week against Samoa, so could well be a team picked from Blues/Crusaders/Chiefs , so one or two other from outside the squad would have to come in!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Please, when's the last time we lost to a NZ side at home. Not sure why you think the Reds game was the standard for the Tahs, we had nothing to play for and just wanted the game over with and well still won by 30. Must've missed the game against the Saders who have had some pretty strong 2nd half season form.

Just another bitter Reds fan. Remember back when they thought they were God's gift to Rugby and their dynasty would reign supreme for years to come. Turned out to be one year followed by ever deepening mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.