• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hangers' miss cost the Tahs but it wasnt the only thing, the ball was kicked at times when they should have run it. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hadnt of charged at the Landers attempt at converstion which made them miss the x2 extra points (it wasnt a hard kick) then I'm sure Hangers' miss wouldnt have been made much of as it has.

Tahs scrum was great, line-outs were 50/50 for mine, open play advantage Highlanders though Tahs did do well at times when they ran it, lastly Highlanders won the breakdown - IMO control that & you most likely win the game.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was a good intense game and well done to both teams. The pace was full on and both sides were struggling with it for periods of the 2nd half.

Tahs discipline was very good IMO. Landers did however make good metres when it was spun wide.

Thought Thomson was again very good. He is what you want in a loose forward, tackles the house down, competes when it hits the deck, is an overall nuisance, a go to man at LO time and then in attack links well with the backs. He was however a little upright in his ball carrying tonight in open space.

R

rugbyfan

Speacial mention to Daniel hangers for the after game captains interview for this pearler

"it may be an indoor stadium but we weathered the Otago storm on the field"

He deserves to keep the captaincy if he keeps those coming.

Maybe he should spend less time working on quirky post-match speeches and more time working on kicks in front of the fucking posts!!!!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe he should spend less time working on quirky post-match speeches and more time working on kicks in front of the fucking posts!!!!

They missed one as well, it went each way, can't ion it on him, we had chances, didn't take them, but alot of positives from it, think a few people really stood up tonight when needed.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Now I'm no doctor, but is it safe to assume we wont be seeing much more of Mr McCutcheon until next year?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Highlanders very intense at breakdown. Good backline talent willing to have a go. Waratahs ssooo conservative. Makes them hard to beat but hard for them to win consistently.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hard luck for the Tahs. The Highlanders looked like they had really marked this game on their calendar, which I think shows a healthy respect for NSW.

Lineouts are an issue. Taf needs to alter the position of where his hands are on the ball when he throws into a lineout. His natural disposition is to throw at an angle, which can be adjusted by body and hand position. Getting it wrong is costing the Tahs in a number of ways. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the reason why the Tahs lost tonight, but it can be a contributing factor, in the context of a season.

On another note, what a fantastic round this has been so far. Apart from the Force result, every game so far has been excruciatingly close.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I like this Red Baron guy. A Qlder who makes sense! ;)
Anyhoo, Tahs gave a supreme effort, but were not quite good enough. Clan deserved it. The pigs were strong, although the breakdown in the first 30 min was all the Clan. Great scrum ( Bryce, you anserine fool, that penalty was just wrong), but line out a bit iffy. Barnes looked direct in attack, which was good. I'm bummed about the outcome, but really can't fault the effort too much. I mean, many are saying the Clan are the form NZ team, so to lose by 1 at Dunedin is no shame.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Anyhoo, Tahs gave a supreme effort, but were not quite good enough. Clan deserved it. The pigs were strong, although the breakdown in the first 30 min was all the Clan. Great scrum ( Bryce, you anserine fool, that penalty was just wrong), but line out a bit iffy. Barnes looked direct in attack, which was good. I'm bummed about the outcome, but really can't fault the effort too much. I mean, many are saying the Clan are the form NZ team, so to lose by 1 at Dunedin is no shame.

Geez Cyclo, I had to go look it up! I would have gone with asinine myself. That scrum penalty was a direct result of the Tahs scrum getting dominance and causing the Clan front row to fragment. Wasn't too happy with some of his other decisions either - he allowed a very wide gate and missed a red card tip tackle - but in a very close game you'd have to say he didn't really affect the result overall. I thought they won it at the breakdown and one point was a fair result.

It was a game with real test-match intensity with no quarter asked or given. The Highlanders are the form team of the moment - they've taken out the Crusaders, Chiefs and now the Waratahs. I feel they have such a physical style that they will be down to their fourth and fifth stringers by the end of the comp. They struggle against the best scrums but will be OK against most teams. Right now they are clearly the best team on show, SA teams notwithstanding.

I thought the Waratahs were pretty good. Based on form so far the Reds would have been murdered tonight. Palu would have made a difference and Vickerman too for that matter but I was really impressed that Tah forwards made good metres running against the Clan in the second half. If we can learn to work the breakdown like they do then the rest of our game is good enough to go anywhere.

We missed Carter to stiffen up our midfield running, though Barnes did not play badly. The main problem was that a lot of our ball was back-foot because of the Clan's breakdown pressure, but also that our backline seemed to be hitting the line more slowly than they were. Kingston continues to impress - when and if Mitchell comes back I would think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will replace Horne, who is not looking like the player who taught Conrad Smith how to play two years ago.

A great result for the Clan, a great effort that just fell short for the Tahs. But it was a tragedy for McCutcheon, who I don't think we'll see back till next year. It looked similar to Mitchell's injury to me.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tahs remind me of Leinster from about 5 years ago. Not a whole lot wrong with their game or personnel, but they lack that clinical ruthless streak to win the tight ones more often than not.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
We missed Carter to stiffen up our midfield running, though Barnes did not play badly. The main problem was that a lot of our ball was back-foot because of the Clan's breakdown pressure, but also that our backline seemed to be hitting the line more slowly than they were. Kingston continues to impress - when and if Mitchell comes back I would think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will replace Horne, who is not looking like the player who taught Conrad Smith how to play two years ago.
Yep we lacked the "Backbone in the Backline", I would love to see BB (10), Carter(12), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)(13), Kingston(14), Foley(15) & ?(11).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yep that was a seriously hard match. I would have preferred a win, but the Tahs left nothing in the locker room, they simply gave it all - and what else can you want from your side. Efforts like that will win them a lot of matches this season

Status
Not open for further replies.