• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Hurricanes, round 16, 9 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In the second halve there was a meeting before each line out, the front of the line out would run up the hooker - chat - run back to front of line out.

Tahs are a professional rugby team, who play rugby for their occupation (shit my dream) - they are a professional rugby team, are are at the end of the season. Not knowing the calls suggests very little time is spent on line out - not good.

Or they just didn't want to broadcast calls to have them figured out.

Noticed later in the game TJ Peranara started trying to eavesdrop.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nayavoro is a rugby oxygen thief.
'Canes try with about 4 on his 1 they chip and he's jogging back providing no assistance nor any cover.
Barely scragged the bus over the touchline.
If he is the best we have in NSW we are in big trouble.

He's an impact player. He can't play 80 minutes

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
'Canes try with about 4 on his 1 they chip and he's jogging back providing no assistance nor any cover.

He isn't the first big winger with the turning circle of a container ship and barely scragging Savea? come on, when Savea is motoring down the touchline you hope that someone will be able to barely scrag him

He bends the line like no other Tahs option on the wing, you seem to have missed those moments last night

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Might be related to the fact that the SFS blasts music at every break in play to drown out conversations

Which is both unecessary and quite irritating. By all means during an extended injury break or interminable TMO review, but do we really need music from the moment the ball crosses the line until the throw, from the scrum awarded to ball fed and even when penalty goals are being attempted?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Or they just didn't want to broadcast calls to have them figured out.

Noticed later in the game TJ Peranara started trying to eavesdrop.
They were losing the line outs as well, couple the jumpers didn't even put there hands in the air.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not going to fix a fat winger who gets pushed into touch 2m out, who also gave a stupid yellow that was lucky not to be red....

Naiyaravoro cited for tackle in the air.

SANZAAR saying it met the red card threshold.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He isn't the first big winger with the turning circle of a container ship and barely scragging Savea? come on, when Savea is motoring down the touchline you hope that someone will be able to barely scrag him

That's kind of my point: his positioning on that occasion was woeful.
What pissed me about the chase was not (for once) his turning time but his effort after he'd swung the unit around - dead slow, steady as she goes.
And then there was his lazy half baked attempt to pick up the bouncing pill, mind you he was not alone in that: is there some modern edict that you're better off not regaining than having to slow down and be deliberate in either picking the ball up or falling on it? The full speed pick up might be justified once you've crossed the gain line but not 20m behind it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If we are being critical of positioning,where was the 15?
He is consistently in the wrong postcode in these situations.

What's noticeable at the ground is that the backs don't always stand in the same position - particularly when the opposition have the ball.

There was an instance last night where Kellaway took the ball at fullback, kicked downfield (a poor kick, but that's another story), chased the kick and then for the next few minutes stood on the left wing. Folau dropped back to fullback and Carraro to 13. Similar things happened all match. It wasn't unusual to see the Waratahs with two fullbacks - Folau standing back in the traditional position and Foley sweeping back on the other side of the field.

I'm not a fan of the system, but it seems to provide some explanation as to why the backs are often caught out of position - no one is consistently in the same position. Phipps and Nayavoro seem the only exceptions.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
2012, 2014, 2009, 2007, 2005, 1997, 1996, from googling around, all were pretty shit years

This could be the worst year in Professional Era for Aussie Rugby

2012: The Wallabies won the June series against Wales 3-0
2014: The Tahs won the Super Rugby
2009: The Wallabies won the Junes series agains Italy 2-0 and beat England at Twickenham in the European tour
2007: The Wallabies won the June series vs Wales 2-0
2005: The Wallabies beat South Africa and France at home
1997 and 1996 at least the Wallabies beat South Africa at home. I'm not sure this year. And Argentina now is a squad that has played ALL the year together, they will be a team that has played 7 months together when they face to Australia

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Might be related to the fact that the SFS blasts music at every break in play to drown out conversations

geez the loud music gives me the shits. Where are people, at a rugby game or the worst damned crappy rock concert ever.

IF you feel you have to do it, put just the tiniest bit of thought into it. Who got the gig, some pimply faced fifteen year old? With one record in his collection?

Jesus wept. Have they ever done a survey?? "Do you think it is a good idea to deafen you with crap music at the slightest break in play, and what is more the same damned three second clip over and over again, or would you rather use the breaks in play to talk to the person next to you about how the game is unfolding?"

Wonder what the results were.

AND, whilst I am venting my spleen, what is the crap that a home 'announcer' thinks he can gee the crowd up and get them chanting for the home side? Is that fair? What makes it worse is that it usually reeks of despair.

If the crowd can't get behind their own team because they are playing good footy, how frickin lame is it the announcer starts screaming over the PA.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Naiyaravoro cited for tackle in the air.

SANZAAR saying it met the red card threshold.

Clear Red IMO & as I posted in-game this whole "lands on back = YC/ lands on head = RC" thing is bullshit, should be "makes no attempt to play ball = RC" & where/ how badly the other player lands is only an issue when it comes to determining how many weeks the offending player gets suspended for.

BTW I'm disappointed Savea J has gotten away with his cheap shot on (?) Phipps, ditto the 'canes grub who neck-rolled the 'tahs guy micro-seconds after Barrett hit him high. Oh, also Skelton for the cheap & dirty on Shields.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Clear Red IMO & as I posted in-game this whole "lands on back = YC/ lands on head = RC" thing is bullshit, should be "makes no attempt to play ball = RC" & where/ how badly the other player lands is only an issue when it comes to determining how many weeks the offending player gets suspended for.

BTW I'm disappointed Savea J has gotten away with his cheap shot on (?) Phipps, ditto the 'canes grub who neck-rolled the 'tahs guy micro-seconds after Barrett hit him high. Oh, also Skelton for the cheap & dirty on Shields.

I didn't think that Pollock handled the foul play stuff very well at all. IIRC, there was a penalty against Palu early for a high tackle and then a sequence of high tackles, trips and assorted cheap shots which were largely unpunished. These things often get out of control if not dealt with early.

In terms of the red/yellow for tackling the player in the air, World Rugby published this in April 2015 to deal with neck rolls and tackles in the air. From my reading of this, there is a clear differentiation based on whether or not the player lands on his head/neck/shoulder as opposed to his back or side.

Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player lands on his head, neck or shoulder

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=9&guideline=8

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ yup, I'm schooled-up on WR (World Rugby)'s distinction between a player taken out in the air by a player making no attempt to play the ball landing on his butt v landing on his head but IMO it shouldn't matter other than determining how long the other guy spends in the stands. And, yes, it was like Pollock had already clocked off the way he reffed last night, and not only with the foul play side of things.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree. He was lazy slow and way off the pace

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agree. He was lazy slow and way off the pace

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
He is lazy when chasing kicks, one of the slowest on the field then. On the flip side, it takes 2-3 people to pull him down each time and he can carry a defender in the meantime. I reckon his handling has improved since he come back.

The problem for us is we have naiyaravoro who brings unbalance to the backline, and skeleton who brings unbalance to the forward pack. Plus we have no second play maker. The Hurricanes exposed our weaknesses well.

Status
Not open for further replies.