• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Hurricanes, round 16, 9 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
He is lazy when chasing kicks, one of the slowest on the field then. On the flip side, it takes 2-3 people to pull him down each time and he can carry a defender in the meantime. I reckon his handling has improved since he come back.

The problem for us is we have naiyaravoro who brings unbalance to the backline, and skeleton who brings unbalance to the forward pack. Plus we have no second play maker. The Hurricanes exposed our weaknesses well.
We cant carry either of them

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
He is lazy when chasing kicks, one of the slowest on the field then. On the flip side, it takes 2-3 people to pull him down each time and he can carry a defender in the meantime. I reckon his handling has improved since he come back.

The problem for us is we have naiyaravoro who brings unbalance to the backline, and skeleton who brings unbalance to the forward pack. Plus we have no second play maker. The Hurricanes exposed our weaknesses well.

Yeah the big fella has a number of work ons defensively and positioning. In attack he's not too bad, although I thought he could've gone with a lower body height when he was tackled into touch near the try line by Barrett.

Slightly off topic but I am still very amazed that he made the Wallabies at this stage of his career even with the injuries to a number of other backs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah the big fella has a number of work ons defensively and positioning. In attack he's not too bad, although I thought he could've gone with a lower body height when he was tackled into touch near the try line by Barrett.

Slightly off topic but I am still very amazed that he made the Wallabies at this stage of his career even with the injuries to a number of other backs.

Just a way of quarantining him is my guess. Powers that be don't want another Nadolo slipping through the net.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Imbalance maybe?

My point is that they both are very strong at part of their roles, but very weak at others and the team has to adjust around them

Even the GOAT was very strong at some of his roles and weaker at others. This is why you play in a team so that weaknesses can be covered and strengths used.

Mind you, the GOAT's weaker parts were still pretty strong.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So let us going into what if's .................

So lets say you have the worlds best THP, absolutely dominates at scrum time, but a bit of a pot plant, do you work it out?

Or goal kicker who kicks at 85% but misses the odd tackle, do you work it out?

I could go on and on, but the reality is points of difference will often make up for weaknesses on the rugby spread sheet, unless you lose and people want an escape goat ;)

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Skelton was one of our best last Saturday (and was Waratah MoM in the stadium, although not sure who picks that). But our lineout was weak and was easily pressured by the Canes. That's not Skelton's fault but we need to find a way of having a strong line out with him on the field. Our other (back 5) forwards were Hooper, Dennis, Mumm and Palu. So that's a 7, a non jumping 8 and two 6.5s. We tried to throw to Mumm in most lineouts and Dennis maybe twice (before the subs came on). Yep work it out, but then you need other options to compensate.

Naiyaravoro was good with ball in hand on the weekend. But he dawdles when its time to kick chase. The effort wasn't there. How do you work around a winger who can't (or won't) chase kicks? Lets hope it is a one off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Palu is fine as a lineout option.

Most of our lost throws seemed to be throwing issues. They were being intercepted before they reached the intended target because they weren't high enough.

Lineout execution seemed to be the issue rather than a lack of options to throw to.

It was exasperating that despite the lineout not performing we kept calling long lineouts (that are obviously better to attack from) but kept getting picked off.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Imbalance maybe?

My point is that they both are very strong at part of their roles, but very weak at others and the team has to adjust around them

Agree on Skelton but the same can be said of Folau and Horne, and to a lesser extent Foley.

I don't think Naiya fits the "unbalanced" argument. He's a winger - he does his core role well: scoring tries. He would fit in almost any back-3 with a traditional fullback. Unfortunately you got a fullback who can't kick but is the best in the world at other traits - that's not Naiya's fault though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Naiya fits the "unbalanced" argument. He's a winger - he does his core role well: scoring tries. He would fit in almost any back-3 with a traditional fullback. Unfortunately you got a fullback who can't kick but is the best in the world at other traits - that's not Naiya's fault though.

He's a poor defender both in terms of tackling and decision making and is slow, particularly changing direction so can be caught out in that way too.

He's also clearly prone to making dumb decisions on the field.

He has plenty to work on.

I don't think scoring tries excuses him from the rest of those things.

The weaknesses of his game make him a big target for other teams to attack and try and exploit.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So let us going into what if's .......

So lets say you have the worlds best THP, absolutely dominates at scrum time, but a bit of a pot plant, do you work it out?

Or goal kicker who kicks at 85% but misses the odd tackle, do you work it out?

I could go on and on, but the reality is points of difference will often make up for weaknesses on the rugby spread sheet, unless you lose and people want an escape goat ;)

The problem is players have these weaknesses and NO real point of difference.

Foley - Can't kick, stuggles to be sole playmaker - good runner but hardly a point of difference.

Phipps - can't kick, irratic passer - can cover tackle and is very fit but that's hardly a worthy point of difference.

Horne - a winger who can't beat a man 1 v 1 - can tackle but that's hardly a worthy point of difference.

Skelton - can't jump in the line-out but is a big body who often draws in 2 men - I think this IS a point of difference but he isn't consistent enough for it to be worthy.

Folau - can't kick, but is the best in the world at high balls and running - this IS a point of difference.

Really their is only a couple of players who have a worthy point of difference that justifies their weakness. Folau being one of them. The rest just have weaknesses.

For comparison Pocock would probably be the only other player in Aus who has a point of difference that justifies his weaknesses.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wasn't there on Saturday, so can see how they allowed this one to slip through the cracks.

FWIW I thought Dean Mumm was excellent Reg, and would have given it to him by a margin, as I do most weeks.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You still fantasise about being a blindside flanker though.

So you and Mumm have a lot in common.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've never been a fan of big Will, but some of the chat around him at the moment is getting almost "Quade-esque". The last two games I have seen him play, #3 Wallabies and last week, imo are the best rugby I have seen him play. He's a known comodity and looking better with every game.

Phipps otoh is a bloke I AM a fan of. Doesnt overdo the stupid box kicks, bloody quick delivery, and I can live with the odd slightly loose pass. And take a closer look there at not many of them, certainly not matching the negative commentry. And he's a halfback, so yes if one goes astray its likely to have repercussions.

Who else are we bitching about?

Foley needs a second playmaker (and or structural changes in defense). Quade's best WB work was with To'omua, and surely a sensible coach will look to protect your starting 10 when you want him to last 80. I'd prefer more creativity personally, but that means diddlesquat atm. He is hands down the best 10 in Aus right now.

Horne, like Hooper, has an engine that simply inspires. Luchky possibly for a Gold jersy, but a better solid clubman there is not i n Aus.

Right now the 'tahs need to perk up as a team. There's nothing wrong with the personel, albeit you can always expect changes in the off season. Like it or not, this bunch of bloke are one of the two far and away best teams in Australia right now.

All the best guys, for this weekend.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That and when possession was a better strategy.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but virtually all good box kicks seem to be better than possession.

Example 1: Aaron Smith. Have you ever seen him execute a box kick that wasn't better than possession, and bear in mind that NZ teams seem to be better users of possession than us.

If the only weapon a side has is to try to retain possession, like most of ours, the ability to make metres is severely weakened.

The defence knows what is coming. No box kick, good or bad.

Incidentally, was it Mick Byrne who said after our 3-0 drubbing by the Soap Dodgers that it is actually less tiring to defend for a given number of phases than it is to attack?

Holding the ball for 12 phases and gaining zero metres seems to have become our specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.