• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels RD 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hoping last week was just travel catching up with the Rebels. But doubt it was, think the Rebels will have advantage at the scrum and that's about it. 8 day break and only 1 hour of travel should help us here

Tahs back at home on a Sunday.

Second place in the Oz conference up for grabs for the Tahs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tahs' backline will be interesting this week if Horne as reported is out. Will Folau shift to 13 and Beale to 15?

I noted against the Reds Foley defending on the left wing at stages during the game and Beale mostly at 15 in defense. The defensive line was probably adequately covered by Horne at 12 and Folau at 13, but without Rob just what are the options for the Tahs to cover/hide Bernie and KB (Kurtley Beale)?

And despite some comments about the Tahs' attacking abilities in their backline, two tries only against a Reds' deficient backline defense is hardy commendable, especially when a lock threw the pass to Folau for his first try and the second came from a lost ruck-ball and a scything run from the No 7.

If the Rebels bring their best game, then this could be anybody's win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Could see a pretty different Tahs side this weekend due to injuries.

1. Robinson
2. Roach
3. Ta'avao
4. Mumm
5. Dennis
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Guildford
12. Horwitz
13. Folau
14. Robinson
15. Beale

16. Folau Fainga'a 17. Ryan 18. Robertson 19. Lousi 20. Palu 21. Lucas 22. Carraro 23. Kellaway/Stewart

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
6 backs potentially out for the Rebels. Naivalu, Ellison, English, Harris, Placid and Hawkins.

Make things interestinger.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd actually start Ryan ahead of Ta'avao, and give the Kiwi a job of using his ball handling skills and impact late in the game.

Either way, our scrum is going to get towelled up.

without Rob just what are the options for the Tahs to cover/hide Bernie and KB (Kurtley Beale)?

And despite some comments about the Tahs' attacking abilities in their backline, two tries only against a Reds' deficient backline defense is hardy commendable, especially when a lock threw the pass to Folau for his first try and the second came from a lost ruck-ball and a scything run from the No 7.

"I WANT MATTY AND CHRISSY IN THE WALLABY MIDFIELD!!!!" :D

Overall, you're right. It wasn't good enough that our tries weren't created through good set piece, or laying a platform. Shit conditions in parts - humidity is no-one's friend in sport - but should do better.

I think you underrate the Reds' defence a little - their attack is a basket case, sure, but here are their against totals:

Tahs 30 (away), Force 22 (home), Rebels 25 (away), Blues 25 (home), Tahs 15 (home) = 117 = 23.4 per game

Compare this to, I dunno, maybe the Ponies?

Canes 10 (home), Tahs 15 (home), Force 14 (away), Stormers 31 (away), Cheetahs 18 (away) = 88 = 17.6 per game

So less than a converted try in it, with a couple of crossover teams in there.

Considering the Brumbies have a similar high water mark on conceding points, I reckon maybe they could do with a bit of a tune-up too, eh?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't understand why the Tahs would do such a radical re-shape of the backline, simply stick Carraro or Stewart at 13 rather than moving 15 to 13, 12 to 15 & 22 to 12 and etc etc.

Let Folau build a kick return team with Guildford and Robinson

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't understand why the Tahs would do such a radical re-shape of the backline, simply stick Carraro or Stewart at 13 rather than moving 15 to 13, 12 to 15 & 22 to 12 and etc etc.

Let Folau build a kick return team with Guildford and Robinson

I think it's based on a desire to give Folau more time at 13 and the fact that Horwitz has been pretty good.

Beale is also a better 15 than he is 12.

Folau played at 13 for part of the Brumbies game after Horne went off injured. I also don't think Carraro has been that good this season.

I'd bet Folau has trained at 13 more in the last couple of months than either Carraro or Stewart.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Playing the Rebels there is one thing guaranteed, you will be receiving a lot of kicks.

That will be a disastrous policy if Beale, Robinson and Guilford are told to run it back because if Folau drops back to support you have the ultimate nightmare of Folau/Beale running back at you with Guilford/Robinson supporting. To avoid this the ball has to be kicked out to get at the crappy Tahs lineout.

The real option for the Rebels this week is to select Inman at 12 even though Ellison is probably crocked, and have him run all day at Horwitz. Horwitz has missed 13 tackles in the first three games; although he missed none in half a game on Sunday, he was lined up against Ant Fainga'a.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd actually start Ryan ahead of Ta'avao, and give the Kiwi a job of using his ball handling skills and impact late in the game.

That would mean Robertson missing and the Tahs finding a LHP (or Tilse)

As I said earlier, I would prefer the two, shorter, squatter Robbos starting

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That will be a disastrous policy if Beale, Robinson and Guilford are told to run it back because if Folau drops back to support you have the ultimate nightmare of Folau/Beale running back at you with Guilford/Robinson supporting. To avoid this the ball has to be kicked out to get at the crappy Tahs lineout.

The real option for the Rebels this week is to select Inman at 12 even though Ellison is probably crocked, and have him run all day at Horwitz. Horwitz has missed 13 tackles in the first three games; although he missed none in half a game on Sunday, he was lined up against Ant Fainga'a.
Made a hole once by coming in,not staying on his man.
If they run at/around him all day,they will win convincingly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Made a hole once by coming in,not staying on his man.
If they run at/around him all day,they will win convincingly.

His tackling is solid, his defensive decision making needs some work, he isn't crap and Grey will work to have him making better decisions

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
His tackling has improved,however 13 missed tackles in 3 games(how many minutes?) is hardly stellar.
As you say,his decision making needs work.
That is a worrying combination.

Bad reads take more than a video session to fix,it's also miles on the clock.

I'd be taking him on all day,every day at his current stage of development.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cam Crawford and Reece Hodge made successful returns from injuries in the Rebels 27-3 loss to the Highlanders at AAMI Park on Saturday.
Tamati Ellison and Jonah Placid left the game early but will be available for selection for Round Six against the Waratahs while Tom English continues to undergo assessment on his injured knee.
The Melbourne Rebels injury update following Round Five against the Highlanders at AAMI Park, Melbourne:
Colby Fainga’a (Elbow): 1 – 2 week
Steve Cummins (Hamstring): 5-7 weeks
Mike Harris (Quad): 6 – 8 weeks
Tim Metcher (Hamstring – 2015 NRC): Indefinite
Sefa Naivalu (Leg – 2015 Super Rugby): Indefinite
Tom English (Knee): Undergoing further investigation

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I would love to see the two Robbos start, but don't think it will happen. If not, Ryan at TH, Tilse to the bench and T'avao nowhere.

Personally, I like the idea of Beale to 15, Folau to 13 and Horwitz on. Not convinced he can't tackle yet, Inman will test him but at least he will know exactly what direction he's going to be running in.

Lineout will be interesting, both Rebels & tahs lineouts were well below par last week. Tahs really should be improving with three pretty good jumpers in Mumm, Dennis and Holloway, hopefully Roach can get his throws right.

Speaking of which, the ref on Sunday called a lineout not straight against the Tahs in an uncontested throw. I thought they weren't going to do that anymore??

Status
Not open for further replies.