• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels RD 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Guildford really an X Factor kind of guy? He's like a less good Doug Howlett to me. Incredibly hard working, reads the game well, runs good lines, knows how to pop up at the right time, good finisher.

Kellaway strikes me as that sort of player too actually. Maybe Gibson feels like there isn't room for both of them in the team and prefers Guildford at the moment? You'd have to think Kellaway would get a run for any other team in the country though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think at this stage Guildford is a better player than Kellaway and so far is playing pretty well. I agree he isn't really an X factor player.

Robinson is more the X factor guy just because of his pace. He's clearly the fastest player in the team.

I think Kellaway would maybe start at the Reds and Force but not for anyone else right now.

ruckus

Frank Row (1)
Is Guildford really an X Factor kind of guy? He's like a less good Doug Howlett to me. Incredibly hard working, reads the game well, runs good lines, knows how to pop up at the right time, good finisher.

Kellaway strikes me as that sort of player too actually. Maybe Gibson feels like there isn't room for both of them in the team and prefers Guildford at the moment? You'd have to think Kellaway would get a run for any other team in the country though.

well guilford is a proven winger , played test football for his country and has played well for his cantab side in super rugby, he has pace and knows his way to the try line and advantage line. he hasnt shown much but there has been glimpses , but i think its because the tahs foward pack havnt helped our backline whether it be scrum to shotty lineouts to unclean ruck ball

with robinson hes got wheels, as we have seen his days at parra eels. looks like hes the quickest in the team and is very agile , more a project and like kellaway will need games to give him more confidence, stil, i would rather his potential and skill/ atheletic potential over Andrews.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Guildford does the stuff Aus wingers don't, work hard off the ball, Kellaway will be a better player learning

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pleasing to see that Andrew Lees finally gets a chance to referee a Waratahs match. It's only taken 27 games.

The game distribution of referees (particularly new ones to Super Rugby) presents something of a MYSTERY.

In Lees' 27 games (including Round 6) his games involving Aussie teams have been as follows:

Rebels: 8 (including 6 of his first 10 games)
Brumbies: 6
Force: 5
Reds: 4
Waratahs: 1

I thought that it may have been the panel avoiding the home town aspect until I looked at the mix for Angus Gardner's 26 games (including Round 6):

Force: 10 (including 6 of his first 10 games and all of his 4 games in 2013)
Reds: 8
Rebels: 7
Brumbies: 5
Waratahs: 4

Both Andrew Lees and Angus Gardner started their Super Rugby involvement in 2012.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lees was less than satisfactory last Saturday, the Rebels would be happy not to have him ref them again i think. not suggesting bias just not that competent, Peter Marshall ( the TMO) had to talk him out of awarding a pen try to the Highlanders, down to a penalty when it should have been a 22 drop out to the Rebs, made no difference to the result fortunately.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Guildford does the stuff Aus wingers don't, work hard off the ball, Kellaway will be a better player learning
Guildford also enjoys a bit of banter with the crowd. Very refreshing to see. At one stage he suggested that he should pack the next scrum at prop. Very entertaining.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Guildford also enjoys a bit of banter with the crowd. Very refreshing to see. At one stage he suggested that he should pack the next scrum at prop. Very entertaining.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Guildford might do better in the scrums than some of our existing props, sadly ;)

Whilst his scrummaging could be a hidden talent, he has a bit to learn about how to legitimately win the ball in a ruck if his protestations whilst lying fully prostrate in a ruck against the Reds is any indication or was this another example of his showmanship?

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the reason Kellaway hasn't been picked is there's just too many untested players in the Tahs backline right now.

Horwitz is new, Robinson is new, Horne's playing out of his usual position and Guildford is new to the team. There's only so many inexperienced players a team can have on the field at once.

I guess the coaches felt Robinson was the better option than Kellaway for now. After all, Kellaway's still pretty young.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
i think andrew is a good player, but I dont think he has the x factor like robinson or guilford can provide, but i think he needs a run of games to see what hes made off. and with a fit backline he wont be able to play much, with the injuries now i hope he can get a run. Its pretty much that old chiche saying for him "make the most of your oppurtunities" for him

Kellaway I believe holds the try scoring record for an U20s tournament. He certainly has some rugby skills if not that dreaded x-factor.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Will the Tahs' backline cope if KB (Kurtley Beale) is out? He is by far the most likely back to break the line or set up a support (especially Izzy). If Foley is expected to fill that role, he will need to dramatically improve on his game against the Reds. From my viewing, he did not make one line break himself, or put another player through a gap in the whole game. If I missed something, I'd be pretty certain it would have been an isolated instance.

Added to thet, the Tahs will be without their most effective backline defensive player in Rob Horne. How that will impact the defensive structure will be interesting to see.

Given the missing players, this is a game for the Rebs to show they can fight it out for a top spot in the conference.

ruckus

Frank Row (1)
Kellaway I believe holds the try scoring record for an U20s tournament. He certainly has some rugby skills if not that dreaded x-factor.

he does have the record for under 20s try record , most of them tries he was at the end of a finishig play, he didnt have to do much but do much

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm a big rap for Kellaway based on what I've seen of him. Maybe now is not the time to pitch him into the line up but I'd be disappointed if he didn't feature at some point this season. I think he's ready.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Tahs team.

1. Benn Robinson (146 caps)
2. Hugh Roach (10 caps)
3. Angus Ta’avao (52 caps)
4. Dean Mumm (90 caps)
5. David Dennis (VC – 96 caps)
6. Jack Dempsey (7 caps)
7. Michael Hooper (C – 85 caps)
8. Jed Holloway (8 caps)
9. Nick Phipps (86 caps)
10. Bernard Foley (66 caps)
11. Zac Guildford (83 caps)
12. David Horwitz (4 caps)
13. Matt Carraro (44 caps)
14. Reece Robinson (2 caps)
15. Israel Folau (49 caps)
Reserves
16. James Hilterbrand (2 caps, potential NSW debut)
17. Paddy Ryan (66 caps)
18. Tom Robertson (2 caps)
19. Will Skelton (42 caps)
20. Sam Lousi (8 caps)
21. Wycliff Palu (124 caps)
22. Matt Lucas (16 caps)
23. Andrew Kellaway (potential Super Rugby/NSW debut)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Should be a great battle in the backrow; reckon Hooper will rise (again) and reaffirm his rights to the starting openside spot (again).

And good luck to Kellaway. We fall guilty of putting too much expectation on young shoulders, but it's always a pleasure to watch a young bloke debut. Despite actively hoping you NSW pricks implode, I'll also be barracking for the young bloke. Hope he has a stormer (in the losing team).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
6-2 split is interesting, presumably Horwitz covers 10 if Foley gets injured, Hooper to cover the inside backs or a rampaging Big Willie !

Status
Not open for further replies.