• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels, RD3 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

Were there any Tahs supporters at the game to actually watch them win. Stadium looked pretty empty. Fickle supporters...no offense to the hardcore supporters on this site of course.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Were there any Tahs supporters at the game to actually watch them win. Stadium looked pretty empty. Fickle supporters.no offense to the hardcore supporters on this site of course.
Mate, for people like me who don't have the luxury of season tickets, as I will get to use only 50% of them, and who buy them as the games come, there was little / no incentive to shell out for the uncovered outfield as it pissed down all bloody day here until < 1 hr before kick off. Luck of the shitty weather for me - I watched at a pub.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
- Phipps played his best game ever.
- Folau and Volavola impressed.
- Lucas's pass to Ryan for the try was a beauty.
- Rebels again shown up for their lack of depth. Need more from the bench.

M

Moono75

Mate, for people like me who don't have the luxury of season tickets, as I will get to use only 50% of them, and who buy them as the games come, there was little / no incentive to shell out for the uncovered outfield as it pissed down all bloody day here until < 1 hr before kick off. Luck of the shitty weather for me - I watched at a pub.
I also watched it at the pub but in the beautiful climes of a fine summer Perth afternoon. I kinda find myself wanting to get the Tahs up but they just shoot themselves in the foot. I will be interested to see the crowd figures. They are stuggling to fight off the shackles of the old style of play and adapting to the new style of Cheika. His half time pep talk certainly worked. Fat Cat had a great game and stepped up after his relegation to the bench. I guess it can only be onwards and upwards from here. Folau will only improve. Some good offloads tonight and Schmoo is coming back into some form. Come on Tahs supporters get behind your team, if you want tough....be a Force supporter thats trying...but I love them all the same!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I also watched it at the pub but in the beautiful climes of a fine summer Perth afternoon. I kinda find myself wanting to get the Tahs up but they just shoot themselves in the foot. I will be interested to see the crowd figures. They are stuggling to fight off the shackles of the old style of play and adapting to the new style of Cheika. His half time pep talk certainly worked. Fat Cat had a great game and stepped up after his relegation to the bench. I guess it can only be onwards and upwards from here. Folau will only improve. Some good offloads tonight and Schmoo is coming back into some form. Come on Tahs supporters get behind your team, if you want tough..be a Force supporter thats trying.but I love them all the same!
That's 2 weeks in a row his "half time pep talks" have turned them around.
Perhaps he should just abuse them pre match as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
11,000 at the game is pretty poor. I expected 18,000 given the weather. May not have picked it up on the TV but probably one of the more vocal crowds for a long time. Really enjoyed it. May get my voice back by Wednesday.

First half was dire, but thoroughly enjoying the way the Tahs are trying to play as demonstrated by the second half.

Mals

Bob McCowan (2)
11,000 at the game is pretty poor. I expected 18,000 given the weather. May not have picked it up on the TV but probably one of the more vocal crowds for a long time. Really enjoyed it. May get my voice back by Wednesday.

First half was dire, but thoroughly enjoying the way the Tahs are trying to play as demonstrated by the second half.

A wet Friday night with slow peak hour traffic around Sydney, I'm not surprised people didn't turn up.

Easy for me, I work in the city so had a few beers before walking up. Tahs need to do more promos in the city for the Friday night games.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Like last week there were a few good periods for the Tahs but the inbetween was really bad. This week they went even worse in the first half, with all the penalties, turnovers and losing lineout ball. Volavola certainly has the x-factor, would be good seeing how he goes starting a match.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Watching through the game again on TV (after being at the ground last night) and the Rebels LHP is putting his hand on the ground in every scrum where the Rebels have the feed. He should have been penalised every time.

It wasn't just a single touch for balance. He puts his hand down and keeps it there for support.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Waratahs in 1st half played like they didn't really believe that their new style of rugby would work in the wet. Both centres have as their first instinct to step back inside and go into contact - there have to be changes made there or this could cost them in close games where quick hands are needed and either TC or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hesitate with the pass or don't pass at all. Elementary errors also cost them dearly.

They upped the tempo in the second half and things started to work for them. I hope the penny has dropped.

Phipps played well - he put his ineffective box kicks away and looked twice the player. JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) need to put their short kicks away as well - they are really just pressure relievers for the opposition. Rebels were good in first half and I still like the way they play.

I didn't mind the ref - at least he was consistent. I liked the early cards, it seemed to finally get the message across and allowed some quick ball. Nothing worse IMO than refs waiting 70 mins to card when a team has spent that time slowing down their opponents ball. He should have penalised Rebels prop for hand on the ground, but his engagement was quick and most of the scrums looked good - especially on a wet night.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
May not have picked it up on the TV but probably one of the more vocal crowds for a long time. Really enjoyed it. May get my voice back by Wednesday.

Yeah it was a lot of noise for 11k, by tah standards. The tries helped as did the push and shove between vuna and mickibbon after the first one.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Waratahs in 1st half played like they didn't really believe that their new style of rugby would work in the wet. Both centres have as their first instinct to step back inside and go into contact - there have to be changes made there or this could cost them in close games where quick hands are needed and either TC or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hesitate with the pass or don't pass at all. Elementary errors also cost them dearly.

They upped the tempo in the second half and things started to work for them. I hope the penny has dropped.

Phipps played well - he put his ineffective box kicks away and looked twice the player. JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) need to put their short kicks away as well - they are really just pressure relievers for the opposition. Rebels were good in first half and I still like the way they play.

I didn't mind the ref - at least he was consistent. I liked the early cards, it seemed to finally get the message across and allowed some quick ball. Nothing worse IMO than refs waiting 70 mins to card when a team has spent that time slowing down their opponents ball. He should have penalised Rebels prop for hand on the ground, but his engagement was quick and most of the scrums looked good - especially on a wet night.
First half was not good.
Good to see no aimless kicking, even on a wet night when some well directed kicks may have been beneficial.
It frustrated me that the ball didn't travel through 9, 10, 12, with a purpose of creating space on the outside (maybe weather, maybe TC). Drew Mitchell had a few howlers, he also came into first or second receiver on occasions and the flow stopped - maybe testing the ball out to him, instead of him moving in.
We kept the ball alive in contact, and I do think as they become more adapt to that more opening will be created.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Fat Cat had a monster of a game. He won't be on the bench again. My motm by some distance.

So relieved to get the win.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Think it's fair to say that the benching had something to do with it. We really need Tilse applying genuine pressure. Amazingly, he put together that game and still had time to occasionally look like a passenger at a couple of breakdowns. If he gets that little bit fitter.......watch out, universe.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
By the way, have the scrum laws changed to allow props to put one hand on the ground? Because Henderson did it for 80 minutes, often right in front of the ref, and he simply didn't seem to care.
That was extraordinarily frustrating. I was pissed with the touchie for not picking it up the first four scrums, then Hoffman switched sides and for one, yes one, scrum Henderson kept his bind and got monstered. Next scrum, in front of the ref, Henderson planted the hand and got away with it, so kept going.
That said, such things were in keeping with what was a truly atrocious refereeing performance. In the first half there should have been another half dozen penalties against the Rebels, but I knew he was just having a shocker when early doors 2nd half we got away with some ridiculous things.
Watching the Steve Walsh show seemed somehow soothing and logical by comparison.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Watching through the game again on TV (after being at the ground last night) and the Rebels LHP is putting his hand on the ground in every scrum where the Rebels have the feed. He should have been penalised every time.

It wasn't just a single touch for balance. He puts his hand down and keeps it there for support.

Yeah, I saw the first 15 minutes before going out to dinner and it was pretty blatant. Not sure what the point of having an AR is... Might as well just call them touch judges and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.