• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Drua - Saturday 20 May 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe the Drua vs Tahs game should be played at Parra, but I wouldnt be takinh any home games away from Fiji itself
I was going to say play anyone but the Tahs there, you’d still have a big home ground advantage with fans. I just think at Parra stadium it’s more fair for the thousands of Fijians living in Sydney.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I was going to say play anyone but the Tahs there, you’d still have a big home ground advantage with fans. I just think at Parra stadium it’s more fair for the thousands of Fijians living in Sydney.
Yeah i meant to say play the Tahs home game vs drua out there

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Fair enough. He's an interesting prospect, though with the Scotish option it's hard to say were he will land. Suspect he might take the o/s option like his brother.
With Perese out I think Tuipulotu is gonna get much more game time

Marce

John Thornett (49)

We are the mighty Waratahs
Rough and tumble rugby stars
We play the game as it should be played

Famous when we run the ball
We can scrum and ruck and maul
Playing the game as it should be played

Waratahs! Waratahs!
We play the game as it should be played

Famous when we run the ball
We can scrum and ruck and maul
Playing the game as it should be played!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I do wonder if they should keep 1-2 home games a year at Western Sydney stadium.
They seemed immensely happy to head to the SFS, great group of humans around us, ended up drinking with a one game waratah (well in between him running outside for a smoke)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Immense defense, real focus on stopping the pop pass

In attack the Tahs were regularly getting though the gain line, not being stopped at that gain line

I was quite surprised the Tahs continued to use plays out the back looking for width, the standard approach vs the Drua is keep it tight and grind them into dust

But they defeated them on the edges

Pokinacha

Dave Cowper (27)
Plenty of support for the Tahs. The Fijians fans were just louder. Awesome to see they ad so much to this comp. Epic game and my 3 year old was screaming FOOTY I LOVE FOOTY! Incidentally one thing that I loved about tonight was the guys walking around the crowd selling beers. About time!!
If it wasn’t Coopers he’d be MVP.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So the big question, what to do about next week? A win doesn't really help the ladder position at all and beating the Crusaders in Christchurch just means you're no chance of beating them again in Christchurch in a potential quarter/semi/final.

Foketi/Perese will likely still be out - we're not going to win. Best option is to rest. Gleeson can play who is still building fitness.
Start Gamble & Hanigan. Rest Jed, Hooper and Porecki. Play Latu. Maybe Lambert and Edmed are back.

Last edited:

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
So the big question, what to do about next week? A win doesn't really help the ladder position at all and beating the Crusaders in Christchurch just means you're no chance of beating them again in Christchurch in a potential quarter/semi/final.

Foketi/Perese will likely still be out - we're not going to win. Best option is to rest. Gleeson can play who is still building fitness.
Start Gamble & Hanigan. Rest Jed and Porecki. Play Latu. Maybe Lambert and Edmed are back.
Hooper still needs his "rest" game too. I agree that they'll probably rest a few, as they probably won't finish better than 6th either way

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hooper still needs his "rest" game too. I agree that they'll probably rest a few, as they probably won't finish better than 6th either way
And the irony in our placing 6th is having to play our quarter final against the Brumbies in Canberra. Should we beat the Saders next week that is likely to mean we play them again in Christchurch in the quarters. Our record against both teams away is bloody awful.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And the irony in our placing 6th is having to play our quarter final against the Brumbies in Canberra. Should we beat the Saders next week that is likely to mean we play them again in Christchurch in the quarters. Our record against both teams away is bloody awful.
Not likely to win either, but maybe a better chance against the Brumbies in Canberra. Just...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Watching live (haven't watched the replay yet), the Drua gameplan seemed to be to cut back to try to bust us on the inside, even when they went three or four wide. I don't remember them ever trying to skin us outside, except when the winger only had a metre or so left. Their go-forward was impressive though, they always seemed to make a metre or two after the tackle.

Thinking about why we were so heavily penalised for not rolling away, it occurred to me that BOK decided that since we were using two or three players to try to hold the runner up, as soon as BOK called "tackle" he could pick any one of three players for not rolling away. Interesting downside to our hold-em-up strategy, but I doubt other refs would have required such quick release. Given the Kiwi teams hold players on the ground so much to slow down the ruck, not many other refs would have given so many of those. Or maybe that was just top item on the referees must-do list this week.

Until the Drua got a bit fatigued, the hold-em-up strategy looked particularly ineffective as the midfield runners were often making metres and I was screaming from the stand to take their legs out and let the second man jackel. But the strategy seemed to cut down the Drua offloads, which I guess is what they were intending to do. And as the Drua tired, it became more and more effective. I hope we don't overuse the technique though; maybe a change of strategy will surprise the Crusaders next week.

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Watching live (haven't watched the replay yet), the Drua gameplan seemed to be to cut back to try to bust us on the inside, even when they went three or four wide. I don't remember them ever trying to skin us outside, except when the winger only had a metre or so left. Their go-forward was impressive though, they always seemed to make a metre or two after the tackle.

Thinking about why we were so heavily penalised for not rolling away, it occurred to me that BOK decided that since we were using two or three players to try to hold the runner up, as soon as BOK called "tackle" he could pick any one of three players for not rolling away. Interesting downside to our hold-em-up strategy, but I doubt other refs would have required such quick release. Given the Kiwi teams hold players on the ground so much to slow down the ruck, not many other refs would have given so many of those. Or maybe that was just top item on the referees must-do list this week.

Until the Drua got a bit fatigued, the hold-em-up strategy looked particularly ineffective as the midfield runners were often making metres and I was screaming from the stand to take their legs out and let the second man jackel. But the strategy seemed to cut down the Drua offloads, which I guess is what they were intending to do. And as the Drua tired, it became more and more effective. I hope we don't overuse the technique though; maybe a change of strategy will surprise the Crusaders next week.
BOK really quick on this, which I don't mind. If he'd been reffing the Leinster / La Rochelle game he'd have been unconscious with the number of times he would have needed to whistle it!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not likely to win either, but maybe a better chance against the Brumbies in Canberra. Just...
The last two games in Canberra have been pretty competitive at least. The Tahs would much rather fancy their chances there than going over to Auckland or Christchurch.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The last two games in Canberra have been pretty competitive at least. The Tahs would much rather fancy their chances there than going over to Auckland or Christchurch.
This would also be a great game for Rugby Australia to market the shit out of. All Aussie semi on Ch9 on a Saturday night.