• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Force - Super Rugby R2 Sunday 23 February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

In the wallaby front we try and sign Genia reds break signing protocol nothing happens to them we lose out which was another reason for Pocock to leave. Force dare to talk to a tahs player they get a fine.

How about players like timani jones Inman cross Fardy Emilio siliva all players who the force signed and lost to other teams so don't given me this shit about not signing aus players.

Scrap top up distribute the money amongst the teams then it will be an even playing field until then the tahs will continue to have a starting wallabies team with 3 on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate I agree with you. Don't get suckered into the vitriol, everything you're saying is real. The competition as it stands is heavily unbalanced. The Force are trying to think outside the box, but are unfortunately not being too well supported.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Mate I agree with you. Don't get suckered into the vitriol, everything you're saying is real. The competition as it stands is heavily unbalanced. The Force are trying to think outside the box, but are unfortunately not being too well supported.

Don't worry it's only a few months until we're all under the same roof of getting beaten by the ABs again.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
All sports competitions are heavily unbalanced. It's unfortunate, but a reality. Teams with the deck stacked against them need to be both different and daring.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You really have to question Foley's approach, as with his coaching of the Tahs, he doesn't seem to able to coach a side to have a crack

They have some great backs, mobile backrow and a yearning to keep it tight, not use their backs or their mobility.

Just endless mauls (with the Tahs it was endless scrums under Foley)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
To all everyone jumpingon the Tahs band wagon after one game thinking shit we scored 6 trys we are certainties to take it out this year. Get a grip. And to any Force fan writing us off after one game get back in your box and piss off. The season is a marathon not a sprint race. Sure the game wasn't great but I expe t the guys to regroup, rethink and come out twice as hard next week.
Calm down, dude. Who said we were certainties for anything?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought it was a good first up match for the Tahs.

There's definitely lots to work on but the accuracy at the breakdown was far superior to last season as was the aggression and intensity.

Cliffy Palu was excellent and led the forward pack with strong running and lots of tackling. Kane Douglas also had a strong game. Potgeiter was great in the last 25 minutes coming off the bench.

At the start of last year we saw the kind of enterprise we saw yesterday but with a lot more dropped balls and loose passes. I thought that was much better yesterday. Far more cohesion in the backline.

Alofa Alofa had a strong game. He made a few strong tackles as well which was the biggest bonus as so far we hadn't seen if he could tackle. He certainly didn't look like a 22 year old playing his first Super Rugby game.

Matt Carraro was excellent off the bench and had a key part in two tries. I think he'll be a good recruit as he covers centre and wing and is a seasoned veteran. He seems like the kind of guy who'll slot in well and fill a role and not let the team down.

Next week will be a much tougher test against the Reds. If the forwards can play with a similar level of physicality we'll be very competitive.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Apparently, the bright sparks at Tahs HQ have decided not to release home crowds this year so we won't know how many people turned up.

Seriously? Not publishing them just makes Tahs HQ look like they have something to hide. Maybe they need to "massage" these numbers during the year for their own nefarious reasons, eg someone's performance or pay is based on crowd numbers.

Don't think it was a deliberate tactic, the crowd figure was eventually published in multiple places- have a feeling it was a fuckup by the stadium, not the Tahs. If it happens again this week though I will become suspicious.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Apparently, the bright sparks at Tahs HQ have decided not to release home crowds this year so we won't know how many people turned up.

Seriously? Not publishing them just makes Tahs HQ look like they have something to hide. Maybe they need to "massage" these numbers during the year for their own nefarious reasons, eg someone's performance or pay is based on crowd numbers.

Operation Sovereign Crowds.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All sports competitions are heavily unbalanced. It's unfortunate, but a reality. Teams with the deck stacked against them need to be both different and daring.

I agree, but it looks to be a bit inconsistent when we have so many NSW fans arguing against the Force players being all available for the WA team in the NRC.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

At least the tahs are guaranteed 10.555 for each game even if 5000 rock up.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Tahs were good value. Attack and setpiece looks good. Defense was poor against what really is an average team at best.

Is the idea the get Skelton to be able to play for 80? He looks about 50 minutes shy of that. Jeez I would have though he'd have copped a flogging in the off season but he still looks in pretty average shape.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Had a prior commitment and couldn't watch the game till late last night. By the end of it I was really, really unhappy. Yes we scored six tries; yes, most of them are lovely to watch; yes, Alofa deserved another for his brilliant effort; BUT:
  • This supposedly improved ruck work is yet to become apparent. I thought our performance at the rucks was very powerful but at the same time the accuracy was woeful. The Brumbies, Sharks, Crusaders and Chiefs will kill us if we don't learn to hunt properly as a pack.
  • We dominated the game with our power, not our finesse. Against the Force it worked but I don't think it will against the better teams and may even unravell next week.
  • The handling by both backs and forwards was appalling. We spent a whole pre-season preparing for that? And Phipps has to learn to put the ball in front of the player.
  • One of our two best players has to be dropped so that we can fit Crawford back into the team to take line penalty kicks, and relieving kicks from within our 22. You cannot beat SA teams when your clearing and penalty kicks struggle to go 20 metres forward.
  • Goal kicking will lose us the race to the finals unless a kicker can be found who is both long and accurate. Foley is short and inaccurate; until he can show in training that he can kick straight for 40+ metres, especially on the angle, he should not be given the ball. I would let Beale do the shots for goal and see how he goes, at least he can place kick from distance.
  • Our restarts went to exactly the same place every time - just inside or outside the 22 and too far away for us to compete. Maybe Cheika is holding back stuff but it was way too predictable.
Cheika should go through them today like a bucket of epsom salts. The power was there, as was the shape and the back-up running was mostly good. But the skill and accuracy was way down and that's what you want to see first up. We can add the kamikaze power later.

Spiro has this as the Tah's year. On that display I do not think so. Gandalf and Bernie will be rubbing their hands in glee and anticipation for the Canberra derby. The strategy will be to kick it deep to the corners and wait for us to make a mistake. We've got no way to kick ourselves out of trouble. Richard Graham will be banking four points despite his team's display on Saturday. The Sharks, Crusaders and Chiefs will sleep easily knowing that we are so lacking in some of the basic skills.

Much work to be done and not much time left to do it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@Hawko - your summation of the game doesn't seem to take into account the quality of the other games.

I thought the Tahs looked pretty good in comparison to many of the other teams so far this season. Some of the points you've raised are definitely true but most of them can be witnessed in every game so far this season.

Poor ball handling has been a feature of every Super Rugby game I've watched so far. Aside from a few shockers in the first half, the Tahs were probably better than most in that regard. Certainly the ball handling in round one this year was leagues ahead of round one last year (as you'd hope it would be).

If you'd seen Crawford play the curtain raiser you wouldn't be calling for him to come straight back in. He is short of a run and doesn't look ready to oust Alofa or Betham even if he does have a long kick.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Tahs were good value. Attack and setpiece looks good. Defense was poor against what really is an average team at best.

Is the idea the get Skelton to be able to play for 80? He looks about 50 minutes shy of that. Jeez I would have though he'd have copped a flogging in the off season but he still looks in pretty average shape.

I think at the moment he is being over-used. He doesn't have to be the only candidate for the forward runner wide of the ruck. I thought Dennis could have been used a lot more in that role - I can't remember him making one run.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez I reckon that's overly negative Hawko. Agree the kicking will be a worry but we put 43 points on the board and could have had more. You make it sound like we will be jostling for the wooden spoon!

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Don't think it was a deliberate tactic, the crowd figure was eventually published in multiple places- have a feeling it was a fuckup by the stadium, not the Tahs. If it happens again this week though I will become suspicious.

OK then. I didn't hear the crowd figure at the game, so when the Fox Sports website match report mentioned the Tahs wouldn't be releasing crowd numbers anymore, I thought I found the reason.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/i...-allianz-stadium/story-e6frf4pu-1226835227660

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No one peaks for their first round game.
Scoring 6 tries against anyone is a great opener.
Yep they have quite a few areas where they need to improve,but so does everyone else.
It's a step up in grade next week,and I can't wait for it!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Jeez I reckon that's overly negative Hawko. Agree the kicking will be a worry but we put 43 points on the board and could have had more. You make it sound like we will be jostling for the wooden spoon!

No, but we want/need to be top two and this is not how top two plays. Chiefs, Crusaders, Brumbies, Sharks and Reds will all beat us unless we improve markedly. We have the following match sequence: Reds (H), bye, Brumbies (A), Rebels (H), Sharks (A), Stormers (A). On what I saw, you couldn't chalk up one certain win out of the next six weeks - lose three of them and I don't think we can make top two.

I have seen us believe in our own hype too many times before. The first half of our season is much harder than the second and we need to play well early or slip off the pace and be done before we reach half way. You have to set high standards and Sunday we didn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.