• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Sharks - RD5 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Spear-Fend!
(thanks Akkerman on PR)
great footage: the tackle was worth a penalty on 2 counts.
1. contact above the armpits - and its blatant: he should have been cautioned over it. I thought Pollock had a shocker - although the possibility that Keanrs one eyed drivel clouded my view cannot be overlooked.
2. its dangerous play - whatever he was trying to do if it had come off could have been ugly.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I take it it's been a while since you tried to get a beer at Moore park? Im a pretty DTE guy, but even I've reached my limits at how poorly this affair is run
I dont drink and watch rugby if Im at the ground - you cant rewind it to see if what you thought you saw was what actually happened so you have to concentrate.
Other than 2003 RWC the beer served at our grounds (i do drink if Im watching league cos you dont need to concentrate - in fact its better if you dont) is crap. of course in 2003 it was heineken... so i did have a couple when watching some pool game (Aregntina v France?).

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A good performance after last week. Pollock very quickly gave me the shits at the breakdown.

I was at the match with my three year old daughter (start the indoctrination early) so I didn't go for a beer but the beer queues were ridiculously long. The food kiosks were no better as we missed about seven minutes of the second half twiddling our thumbs in a queue there. Grossly overpriced as well. The SFS has really got to re-examine the catering licenses.

Usually I am quick to scuttle after the final hooter but my daughter wanted to hang around so we went down to the fence for a look at the ground. She was very distressed as to why the man was re-spraying the lines straights after the match. I think she was worried that she would be spray painted next. A lot of kids at the fence and several of the players were walking around throwing balls into the crowd. Tah-man was there as well but my daughter didn't want a bar of him because "he looks silly".

TPN was throwing balls to the kids and came to the fence to sign autographs. I had my three year old sitting on the fence so she could see and as TPN made his way along he greeted everyone and signed everything thrust at him. When he reached my daughter (far and away the youngest there) he gave her a ball rather than toss it into the crowd and made a point and crouching down to her height to talk to her and was very patient. I have heard good things about TPN (his efforts at the Two Blues are well known) but his approachability and interaction with the children (especially my daughter, obviously) and the extra effort he went to when he was obviously carrying an injury (kept shifting an ice pack and wincing) mark him out as a champion. My daughter has spent today carrying the ball around, showing it repeatedly to me and her one year old sister and keeps asking me who gave it to her. She can't pronounce Tatafu yet but I will make sure she learns because I consider the guy an absolute legend and a credit to the game.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Nice one bpc. Tom Carter also waws great after the game, goingto all corners to thank the crowd, sign things and throw balls.

This trend started last year, and I've still got a few of those mini balls that my kids play with.

Oddly, it was easier to get a ball at the force game....

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
TPN was throwing balls to the kids and came to the fence to sign autographs. I had my three year old sitting on the fence so she could see and as TPN made his way along he greeted everyone and signed everything thrust at him. When he reached my daughter (far and away the youngest there) he gave her a ball rather than toss it into the crowd and made a point and crouching down to her height to talk to her and was very patient. I have heard good things about TPN (his efforts at the Two Blues are well known) but his approachability and interaction with the children (especially my daughter, obviously) and the extra effort he went to when he was obviously carrying an injury (kept shifting an ice pack and wincing) mark him out as a champion. My daughter has spent today carrying the ball around, showing it repeatedly to me and her one year old sister and keeps asking me who gave it to her. She can't pronounce Tatafu yet but I will make sure she learns because I consider the guy an absolute legend and a credit to the game.

Taf's a legend. A real personable bloke. I met him at a couple of Tahs Fan Days and since then when I see him, he remembers my name which I thought was pretty amazing considering all the people he meets in his travels.

I reckon once he retires, the Tahs or ARU should have him on their books to promote rugby development in some capacity.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
With you there Jnor. Arvo footy might be great for the live spectators, but on what we saw last night, crap for the broadcast audience. Ahhh well, can't have everything I s'pose.
They handle it ok in other codes (League, AFL) so maybe it's either a) the technology or b) the crew? those iris controllers on the piss again as already discussed.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I was at the match with my three year old daughter (start the indoctrination early) so I didn't go for a beer but the beer queues were ridiculously long. The food kiosks were no better as we missed about seven minutes of the second half twiddling our thumbs in a queue there. Grossly overpriced as well. The SFS has really got to re-examine the catering licenses.
Were you sitting with a couple of mates and another young boy? There were 3 guys next to us with 2 very young kids and it was great. They didn't necessarily get in to the game too much, and Dads were worried about them poking people with the flags but I think it's bloody fantastic and there should be more of it.

I couldn't agree more re the F+B. It's shocking. A "regular chips" has approximately 20 chips in it, in a container about the size of a bloody iPhone, for $5. Beer, food, etc etc all gratuitously expensive. However, part of that is that the SCG Trust gouges the living shit out of franchisees to be in the stadium, and they pass on the gouge to customers while the Trust laughs all the way to the bank. Eg an Oporto burger (just burger) was around 3 times what it would be in a food court at any Westfield etc. That's them recouping their frachise fees, and us paying the Trust for the honour of eating at their stadium.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I take it it's been a while since you tried to get a beer at Moore park? Im a pretty DTE guy, but even I've reached my limits at how poorly this affair is run
After working in & running a very busy pub, I can see there are large holes in how it is run, the system is crap making the service woeful, but it's not entirely the staff, they're just working with what they have.
I am sure they'd heard it all from many people already. So I can't see how anyone telling the staff how crap or slow the service is, will to help the situation, believe me you feel the pressure of a the customers staring at you & you're working as fast as you can.
He shouldn't of carried on like a prat either, but there's only so many times you can cop a smart arsed remark without some reply.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Taf's a legend. A real personable bloke. I met him at a couple of Tahs Fan Days and since then when I see him, he remembers my name which I thought was pretty amazing considering all the people he meets in his travels.

I reckon once he retires, the Tahs or ARU should have him on their books to promote rugby development in some capacity.

Taf is a sweetheart, always up for a chat and/or photo. In saying that all of the team that I have met are very welcoming & chatty.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In terms of the bar queues, I agree that they were completely frustrating.

Partly it is due to having one or two of the registers shut and not pre-preparing enough beer, but the people queuing also slow things down immensely.

Everytime I queued, people just stand up the end of the line oblivious to what is happening and wait for one of the cashiers to put their hand up and signal them. If people actually paid attention and moved up the line waiting at a register for it to be free, the queues would move dramatically faster.

The bars at the SFS are at their most efficient when there is a dedicated staff member 'queue wrangling' yelling at people to move to the next register etc.

It's a really frustrating thing and makes a massive difference to people's enjoyment. I don't go to the rugby to get smashed but I will always enjoy a few beers during the game. It's a shame that it isn't really something the Tahs have much control over and are at the mercy of the catering company.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It has only been decent at the SFS when Hahn was a sponsor and they had plastic bottles of premium being sold at bottle bars.

It is part of the reason the pubs do a roaring trade

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't go to the rugby to get smashed but I will always enjoy a few beers during the game. It's a shame that it isn't really something the Tahs have much control over and are at the mercy of the catering company.

Often an unintended consequence, however.

I don't buy the argument, though, that the Tahs are at the mercy of the catering company. The Waratahs and the Roosters are the major clients of the Trust and should be able to force better service. It's been like this for years and I've certainly noticed the practice of under-staffing the "smaller" games for the last two or three. That to me says that either the Tahs don't give a shit or they're extremely ineffective in advocating their interests with the Trust. It would not be hard to have much faster service:

1. Queue wrangler, as you suggest, BH.
2. Installing four-pour systems so that each cup doesn't need to be poured individually.
3. Only allowing credit card payment with Paypass or payWave.
4. Setting up cash only mobile bars on the concourse that only sell beer in plastic bottles at $5 a pop, max of 4 per customer.
5. Pricing drinks to minimise change. $6.70 or $6.60 makes no fucking sense. $6.25 is much more logical since the majority of customers purchase 4 beers at once.
6. ALWAYS have maximum staff. If you come to an unpopular game because you're a loyal supporter you should get faster service, not slower.

I'm sure there a thousand others too.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Were you sitting with a couple of mates and another young boy? There were 3 guys next to us with 2 very young kids and it was great. They didn't necessarily get in to the game too much, and Dads were worried about them poking people with the flags but I think it's bloody fantastic and there should be more of it.

I am in Bay 10. There was some blokes behind us with a young boy so possibly the same group although I saw a lot more young children there than usual.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My daughter has spent today carrying the ball around, showing it repeatedly to me and her one year old sister and keeps asking me who gave it to her. She can't pronounce Tatafu yet but I will make sure she learns because I consider the guy an absolute legend and a credit to the game.

My daughter asked me who gave her the ball again this morning (usually 24 hours is about the limit of any memory not involving chocolate) and wanted to take it to pre-school to show her friends. Still can't pronouce Tatafu.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am in Bay 10. There was some blokes behind us with a young boy so possibly the same group although I saw a lot more young children there than usual.

That might have been us.

We are in Row GG in Bay 10 and one of our group brought his 2 year old son on Saturday.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
4. Setting up cash only mobile bars on the concourse that only sell beer in plastic bottles at $5 a pop, max of 4 per customer.

this is the key to faster service - not waiting for a schooner to pour, then foam to settle, then top up. Pop a lid, hand it over. Unfortunately SFS wont serve alcohol in any container that can be thrown (although they do with coke?) so cans and bottles are out.

I emailed CUB about packaging beer in cans removable lids, essentially turning them into cups, but they didnt respond (bastards)

Status
Not open for further replies.