• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Sharks - RD5 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
After yesterday my opinion of McKibbin has really improved. I never really rated him, not to the point where I would feel the need to harp on about how shit I thought he was, but enough that I ever thought he was worth much of a mention.

Yesterday was different, he had a blinder. Most of my thoughts are in the review, but I thought he was as good as Pretorious has been, maybe with slightly less damaging running.

Did anyone else think the cameras at the SFS weren't up to the daylight? Whenever the game moved into shadow, it seemed way too dark on screen and much worse than the Rebs game last week

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
• When I was having a leak after the Force game last week one of the guys there said to a mate that he regretted bringing his kids to watch "that crock of shit" though he didn't care too much about who won the game.

LG is now a card-wearing member of the Fourth Estate and gets to sit in the press box with ... umm, aah; well, anyway he gets to sit in the press box. But he still has a lot to learn from the old pros. Spiro would have had two ex-All Black captains standing at the pisser.

While I was typing that I had a vivid mental image of Spiro sidling up alongside Sir Brian Lochore at the trough and asking for his thoughts on the game; and Sir Brian swinging around while in full flow ...

We all have our dreams.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
On Saturday, I had the pleasure and privilege of introducing His Ancientness Lee Grant to The Right Seniorable Bruce Ross, the first time these two old codgers had met. It was all in a panic at the Members' gate after Lee rushed out from the press box for me (yes, he's now mixing with those reptiles) and Bruce was waiting for his host to find him, but they did have time to argue the toss over who was the oldest. Birth years of 1839 and 1837 were mentioned, the older referred to the younger as "just a mere boy", insults were traded, fists were flung, a riot ensued, police were called..... Well not really, it all ended rather calmly as Bruce's host claimed him and gently led the senior citizen away.

Nice to be a bit of social glue in the G&GR panorama.

Whoops, that should've been 1939 and 1937.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Excellent second half from NSW. LG and others have already done great summaries so I will leave it at that. However, I will add that for roughly the first 20 minutes of the game the Tahs look extremely poor in defence. Kingston's wing seemed to be carved open way too easily. I watched the game at a pub so didn't have the best view however it seemed Lambie's excellent front foot service had the whole Tahs backline sliding backwards and there seemed to be a few defensive misreads by Horne and Kingston. Hopefully this can be fixed up and NSW can get their unlucky (both injury and results wise) season back on track.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think he's better than Pretorius but if he keeps kicking that well he should start, everyone knows how much I go on about the important of place kicking and it appears it's actually what won us the game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Spear-Fend!

twl.gif

(thanks Akkerman on PR)
Suprised he didn't stay down and bung on a bad acting performance like he did with Digby.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Suprised he didn't stay down and bung on a bad acting performance like he did with Digby.

That was a tip-fend, surely a citing will follow.

I only caught glimpses of the 1st half before work, but Kane Douglas had some good moments while I was watching. How did he go overall?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Stupid bastard shouldn't of left the ground trying to take the man down. I thought that was Douglas's best game of the year and hope the bloke draws heaps of confidence from it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
spectator

It was the kind of game that you wanted them to win, of course, but would not have criticised them too much had they not. Their endeavour against the Sharks validated some of the criticism made in recent times that they weren't trying to play positive rugby when they were able to (let's not talk about their cynical goal line defence yesterday, which was not positive).

I have been taken to task for voicing such opinions in the past, and the age-old question of "Would you rather have them win ugly, or lose?" rebuttal has been made, almost by rote. My response was always to say that it was the wrong question. The correct one was: "If they won playing shit rugby like that, could they not have won also by having a crack?"

Having a crack when cracking was "on" was what the Reds did last year and it got a positive response from all rugby followers in Oz, and quite a few from offshore too. The results spoke for themselves.

Sure, you have to have the players to execute the cracking and you can't ignore the realities of what real estate you are in at any given time, but you have to show some endeavour otherwise the essence of your team shrivels up.

But I digress

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did anyone else think the cameras at the SFS weren't up to the daylight? Whenever the game moved into shadow, it seemed way too dark on screen and much worse than the Rebs game last week

With you there Jnor. Arvo footy might be great for the live spectators, but on what we saw last night, crap for the broadcast audience. Ahhh well, can't have everything I s'pose.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I enjoyed that game a much as I am not enjoying the hangover.
It is great to see the Tahs hanging around after the game now like the Reds do. They even stayed around last week.
Excluding when the game was won some of the biggest cheers were for the replays of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s vault and Mumm's fend.
Whoever decided to change those Flash For Cash signs to flags deserves a bonus. They look great.

If they can't improve the service they should at least install some TVs so you don't miss the action.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
The iris control on the cameras are generally done manually, it is a critical part of the job but if you dont have a good vision control tech you notice as a viewer!

First thing I thought when I saw that "Tip Defend" is someone on the G&G will want that cited! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.