• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Sharks - RD5 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Now this is a laws question.

I think it was early in the second half, the Sharks had a lineout that was eventually called not in straight after the referee got a call from the touch judge.

The Sharks players however jumped and tapped it back one handed with his outside hand. Surely this is illegal or have they changed the rule? I was really surprised it wasn't called up instantly and was even more surprised when I got home and watched the replay and the commentators didn't even mention it.

Guy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Suprised he didn't stay down and bung on a bad acting performance like he did with Digby.

Maybe akerman could remake this and extend it about 8 seconds... you see the acting performance well after mumm has left the scene... well maybe its not acting, but its worth a watch...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Big win for the Tahs and the Sharks disappointed. They threw this one away with ease and a looong tour in the wait for them. The Tahs should gain a lot of confidense from this game and hopefull willl never ever start without their Super Sarel again.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pretorius won't start as long as McKibbin is kicking as well as he did
Well thats plain stupid. Super Sarel made a huge differense in every match for the Tahs and saturday was no differense. Find another kicker, you need him urgently.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Well thats plain stupid. Super Sarel made a huge differense in every match for the Tahs and saturday was no differense. Find another kicker, you need him urgently.

Yeah, it's a serious problem, PB. If Barnes' groin holds up then he should take the duties. Sarel offers a lot around the park. Having said that, Barnes and McKibbin combined very well on Saturday. Perhaps a few seasons on the training paddock makes a difference?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Tahs should gain a lot of confidense from this game and hopefull willl never ever start without their Super Sarel again.

Pretorius won't start as long as McKibbin is kicking as well as he did

I don't have a particular view either way, PB, but would just make the observation that with "Super Sarel" starting we were one from four.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't have a particular view either way, PB, but would just make the observation that with "Super Sarel" starting we were one from four.
With all due respect, not his fault and took the Tahs on the blink of victory against the Reds, after scoring a try got subbed and also did more then his part in the other matches to try and get them on the right side of the ledger like saturday.

I sure is biased but the proof is in the pudding.

against Reds:
67 Try Sarel Pretorius Waratahs
68 Conversion Daniel Halangahu Waratahs
68 Substitution (Tactical) Brendan McKibbin for Sarel Pretorius Waratahs
68 Substitution (Injury) Sekope Kepu for Benn Robinson Waratahs
73 Penalty Mike Harris Reds
80 Try Dom Shipperley Reds
81 Conversion Mike Harris Reds
81 Full Time
Losing with 4 points

67 Substitution (Tactical) Brendan McKibbin for Sarel Pretorius Waratahs
72 Missed Penalty Daniel Halangahu Waratahs
73 Substitution (Injury) Sekope Kepu for Benn Robinson Waratahs
73 Substitution (Tactical) Tom Carter for Tom Kingston Waratahs
77 Missed Penalty Colin Slade Highlanders
81 Full Time

Losing with 1 point

62 Substitution (Tactical) Sarel Pretorius for Brendan McKibbin Waratahs
62 Substitution (Tactical) Jacques Botes for Willem Alberts Sharks
62 Substitution (Tactical) Lopeti Timani for Wycliff Palu Waratahs
64 Penalty Patrick Lambie Sharks
64 Substitution (Tactical) Louis Ludik for Odwa Ndungane Sharks
69 Substitution (Tactical) Frederic Michalak for Charl McLeod Sharks
72 Penalty Patrick Lambie Sharks
74 Substitution (Injury) Tatafu Polota-Nau for John Ulugia Waratahs
75 Try Tom Kingston Waratahs
76 Conversion Berrick Barnes Waratahs
76 Substitution (Tactical) Jono Jenkins for Chris Alcock Waratahs
79 Substitution (Tactical) Craig Burden for Anton Bresler Sharks
80 Full Time

Winning with 4 points and Super Sarel played a huge role in that winning try.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I paid just under $20 for a medium sized burger, chips and a coke. First and last time I'll do that.
Yup!!! :( Sad thing is there are enough of us (myself included) who keep doing it anyway so that they don't change...

Always thought there has been some price gouging. However, it was once explained to me that the high price of food and beverages at sporting venues is not only due to a captive market, but also due to the costs involved in maintaining the outlet.

The regular food and beverage outlets on the street or in a shopping centre could potentially open 365 days of the year or for longer hours at the very least. However, the outlets within a stadium would be open for far fewer days and shorter hours as well. Yet the operator would still have to have the equipment installed and ensure it is in good working order so the fixed costs don’t change even though the machinery is being utilised a lot less. Furthermore, if a crowd is significantly less than forecast, then there could be a lot of food spoilage.

But as we don't get to see the actual financials, can't say for certain how accurate this would be.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I spent some time following sarel's moves on field (the joys of live rugby!) and was pleased with how well his defensive positioning and sweeping was. He was in better position, and got there quicker, than McKibbon did. While kibs had a great game, sarel looked (to me) the more complete scrum half

Reactions: BPC

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I spent some time following sarel's moves on field (the joys of live rugby!) and was pleased with how well his defensive positioning and sweeping was. He was in better position, and got there quicker, than McKibbon did. While kibs had a great game, sarel looked (to me) the more complete scrum half

I agree with that summation but...

You can't go into a Super rugby game with no kicker. Look at what has happened to the Reds each match after they lost their proper kickers. Genia is a great halfback but he's not a kicker's bootlace. Unless Barnes' groin recovers or Foley proves he can kick then McKibben has to start, whether he's the best halfback or not. The one thing I do know now is that McKibben is Super quality and won't look out of place until we get our kickers back and Sarel can go back to starting.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)

Maybe, but has anyone noticed how slow and weak Sarels pass is - particularly left to right. Uses the pendulum approach which is now out of favour. I was pleasantly surprised by McKibbon as I didnt think he was up to it. But I do now. I think you will find that they will persist with him with Sarel as a super sub. When we get another kicker I think Foley will adopt a more of a rotation policy with the two halves.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree Rob, McKibbon's pass was crisp on the weekend (relative to Sarel's anyway) and it seemed to bring our outside backs more into play. Also, I think Sarel's running game is more suited to later in the match although it will vary by opposition.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
My daughter asked me who gave her the ball again this morning (usually 24 hours is about the limit of any memory not involving chocolate) and wanted to take it to pre-school to show her friends. Still can't pronouce Tatafu.

Just stick with Tarf. I am sure he would not be offended.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

I think it was early in the second half, the Sharks had a lineout that was eventually called not in straight after the referee got a call from the touch judge. The Sharks players however jumped and tapped it back one handed with his outside hand. Surely this is illegal or have they changed the rule? I was really surprised it wasn't called up instantly and was even more surprised when I got home and watched the replay and the commentators didn't even mention it.

It was called up instantly by me, The Right Seniorable Bruce Ross has quite sore ears from my instructions to the ref.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I spent some time following Sarel's moves on field (the joys of live rugby!) and was pleased with how well his defensive positioning and sweeping was. He was in better position, and got there quicker, than McKibbin did. While Kibs had a great game, Sarel looked (to me) the more complete scrum half

All those qualities are correct for Sarel, rsa, but you left one thing out: McKibbin's a better passer of the pill than Pretorious. And, I suspect, another: McKibbin's a better defender. But isn't it nice to have two quality halfbacks in the squad?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

I think it was early in the second half, the Sharks had a lineout that was eventually called not in straight after the referee got a call from the touch judge.

The Sharks players however jumped and tapped it back one handed with his outside hand. Surely this is illegal or have they changed the rule? I was really surprised it wasn't called up instantly and was even more surprised when I got home and watched the replay and the commentators didn't even mention it.

It was called up instantly by me, The Right Seniorable Bruce Ross has quite sore ears from my instructions to the ref.

In general you are both right in saying that the player cannot use only his outside arm to deflect the ball, but there is an exception to that as highlighted below.
19.10 (j) Catching or deflecting. When jumping for the ball, a player must use either both hands or the inside arm to try to catch or deflect the ball. The jumper must not use the outside arm alone to try to catch or deflect the ball. If the jumper has both hands above the head either hand may be used to play the ball.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
All those qualities are correct for Sarel, rsa, but you left one thing out: McKibbin's a better passer of the pill than Pretorious. And, I suspect, another: McKibbin's a better defender. But isn't it nice to have two quality halfbacks in the squad?
He certainly gets rid of it quicker. Pretorius is like Burgess, and Genia of late, in that he likes to dance around across field looking for a chance to run or divine inspiration before letting it go. It worked well on Saturday with McKibbin moving it quickly when the Tahs were getting pretty quick ball - kept the defence back-footed.
Both have their advantages.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I really like Pretorius, but we need a kicker. McKibbin did well against the Sharks, so I'd like to see him start again next week (and having Pretorius on at the end when we need the right decision under pressure would be nice too).

On the match, much has been said already that I agree with. Like others, I love seeing Palu and the Timani bros out there smashing anything that moves. Loved Tom Carter back in the starting line up.

I have been worried about Paddy Ryan in the first few rounds - basically the scrums and the penalties - but I was pretty pleased with his contribution this week. He is big and strong, and full of enthusiasm (which I suspect was his problem - trying too hard to make a big play). He will have to start at some point, when we will see if he can play the steady tight head match we need. Here is hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.