• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Sharks. Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep - that's true and at the time I did say he was hard done by. Was Nathan Pearce the ref then?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can't recall the ref but would like some consistency. It's a hard thing to judge as players do it all the time when attempting a tackle and I thought it loomed like Beale was going in for the tackle but would like to see it again now.

I think it is a judgement call and an interpretation of palm up or down is rubbish. Really it is eiher he tried to catch it or knock it so he was close to catching it. I thougt Beale did neither so t was a penalty.

Agree that the distance out must have been why he penatly try was not awarded.

And agree that it should have been a red for du Plessis. Refs are too scared to give out red cards now.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
If they only give a yellow for witnessed eye-gouging then wtf do you have to do to get a red? Seems to me that they've decided that to underpunish on the field is to leave it up to the citing process to rectify, but to overpunish is to put their own balls on the block. Ergo no reds, ever.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26817167-5002381,00.html

To see it again - Sharks are going to ask for some feedback and Plumtree states in no uncertain terms he thought it was a penalty try and it was "cynical".

Beale is left with two choices - tackle Terblanche and let them win the game, or go for the intercept. Why the fuck would you risk any type of penalty with a knock-down? Intent is the key, but the ref's opinion is final. I think Skid bailed out either way

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Even if it was a knockdown (which it clearly fucking wasn''t) I can't remember ever seeing at S14 or international level a penalty try awarded outside of the 22. This is because the convention is that you have to be pretty much falling over the line (or in a scrum motoring over it) for there to be absolutely no doubt.

Gagger only this round we saw the Brumbies get a penalty try when it certainly wasn't assured that they would score. Not saying it was the correct decision, but it happened.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
chief said:
the gambler said:
The quality of reffing this year has seemed relatively poor to me. The quality of assistant reffing has been diabolical.

In that one match there were 2 incorrect sideline calls and 2 incorrect recommendations. Has been the case in most matches.

What incidents are these?

Refs have been good this year but this round saw a drop in standards.

1- Chiefs prop attacking Coopers head without consequence.
2- The penalty try in the Brumies game
3- The knockdown in the Tahs game. Either it was a knock on or a penalty try.

All up I think the refs deserve credit for a decent year so far.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
the gambler said:
The quality of reffing this year has seemed relatively poor to me. The quality of assistant reffing has been diabolical.

I'm willing, and available. When and where do I tog up? ;) :fishing ::)

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Scotty said:
Even if it was a knockdown (which it clearly fucking wasn''t) I can't remember ever seeing at S14 or international level a penalty try awarded outside of the 22. This is because the convention is that you have to be pretty much falling over the line (or in a scrum motoring over it) for there to be absolutely no doubt.

Gagger only this round we saw the Brumbies get a penalty try when it certainly wasn't assured that they would score. Not saying it was the correct decision, but it happened.

Where was it given - 5 metres out or 30 metres out?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Boet you obvious dont get it, the same Tah supporters claiming it as not a penalty try, piss in their pants a qweek ago about technical Jonkers got wrong the previous week when the Tahs lost vs the Brutes and have their mouths rolling about Kaplan. No vokken education can help one eyed observations for supprters jumping blame the ref when you end up on the wrog side of the score sheets!

PB, look at the scoreboard and STFU!! :lmao:

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ruggo said:
chief said:
the gambler said:

In that one match there were 2 incorrect sideline calls and 2 incorrect recommendations. Has been the case in most matches.

What incidents are these?

Refs have been good this year but this round saw a drop in standards.

1- Chiefs prop attacking Coopers head without consequence.
2- The penalty try in the Brumies game
3- The knockdown in the Tahs game. Either it was a knock on or a penalty try.

All up I think the refs deserve credit for a decent year so far.

I don't keep a record of the incidents, but I have been generally unimpressed with the interventions of the touch judges in many of the matches - it is as if they are desperate to stick their oar in, or maybe be seen on TV. Just shut up and run the line.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Any Aussie that keep on bagging Saffer refs should take this incident and memorise it!robbed by a home ref if you are a Guppie surporter!

At least the aussie ref didn't run a blocking line to help the Tahs score (see Lawrence Brumbies v Bulls)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Conclusion:

1. Tah supporters call it an attempted intercept.
2. Just about everyone else think it was a penalty try.
3. He really is a crap ref, and not just for that incident.

It is what it is. Let's move on. The Sharks should look at the shit they disched up for the prior 79 minutes and here's another thing. Terblanche could have and should have timed that pass better.

Plumtree should shut it and figure out how he is going to win with a very good squad of players instead of fucking around about what could have been.

I was just very thankful that the game was over. No human being should have to sit through something like that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Blue said:
Conclusion:

1. Tah supporters call it an attempted intercept.
2. Just about everyone else think it was a penalty try.
3. He really is a crap ref, and not just for that incident.

It is what it is. Let's move on. The Sharks should look at the shit they disched up for the prior 79 minutes and here's another thing. Terblanche could have and should have timed that pass better.

Plumtree should shut it and figure out how he is going to win with a very good squad of players instead of fucking around about what could have been.

I was just very thankful that the game was over. No human being should have to sit through something like that.

Kurtley Beale - I was going for intercept

* Jon Geddes
* March 08, 2010 12:00AM

WARATAHS man of the moment Kurtley Beale is adamant he did not deliberately knock down a pass to prevent the Sharks scoring a match-winning try in the dramatic finale to Saturday's Super 14 clash at Sydney Football Stadium.

NSW held a 25-21 lead with three minutes to go when Beale got his hand on a pass from Sharks fullback Stefan Terblanche to No. 8 Ryan Kankowski, who had a clear run to the tryline.

Referee Paul Marks sent Beale to the sin bin for deliberately knocking the ball down, but ignored pleas from Sharks players to award a penalty try.

Beale's desperate action could end up proving a very significant moment in the Waratahs' season as his side held on to grab a crucial victory.

"I just saw it was two on one and tried to go for the intercept and hit the ball up," Beale said. It was Beale's first sin-binning and forced him to watch the tense closing moments from the sideline.

"I was a little anxious and frustrated but the boys dug deep and hopefully we can learn from that," he said. At fulltime Beale's emotions turned to excitement and relief.

"If I hadn't hit the ball up it was going to be a try and it would have been a totally different story," he said.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He may say he was going for it, but it didn't look like he realistically had any chance of getting it. Looked like a slap at the ball not an attempt to catch it.

But I don't really care. Games gone, lets move on.

P

PhucNgo

MajorlyRagerly said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTgwCnCggGs&feature=player_embedded#

I take back most of what I say. Beale was not going for an intercept, he was clearly looking to just push the ball away. The evidence is obvious.

the ref bottled it & robbed the sharks.

(for the record, I don't think this is a sanzar conspiracy etc etc... it was just a poor decison)

Obvious to whom? Have you ever gone for an intercept? The actions of Beagle are entirely consistent with an attempt to intercept a ball at the limit of your grasp. You try to bounce the ball into the air allowing yourself time to run onto it. Simple.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looking at that replay in slow-mo it's obviously an intentional slap at the ball as the commentators say. Left arm reaching out, palm sideways.

Honestly, I think you're delusional if you think otherwise.

<edit> Yes, I think Beale went for the intercept. But the pass was too good and he couldn't take it so he reached out and lunged at it. No way could he ever have knocked that ball up like that. Ref got it 100% right on the slap down call.

Status
Not open for further replies.