• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Sharks. Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
PhucNgo, it's obvious to me. yes, I've played touch and rugby and gone for many intercepts, but to say that Beale is obviously trying to hit it up and catch it is complete rubbish in my opinion. His hand is moving sideways for a start, and it's blatantly obvious that he's not really going for a catch.

Gagger - hadn't seen that chiefs one, didnt' see the game. And your right it is strange that their doesn't seem to be much bitching about it from my countrymen. Maybe we're just more mature & sportsmanslike? (yeah right!!)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gagger said:
No penalty, no yellow, no bitching. Go figure.

Because Chambers was making a tackle with an arm stuck out. Those are never called, rightly or wrongly. Beale did not attempt a tackle, and was not making a takle.

Gagger you still think that what Beale did was not penalty worthy?

No offence, but if it happened against the Tahs most on this board would be screaming blue murder. Honestly, this is getting silly. Just admit that a penalty was a correct call, the Tahs were lucky not to have a penalty try awarded, and move on.

Marks was crap and I hope he doesn't get an another game again unless he miraculously improves greatly at club level.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would be amazed if that Chambers one ever got called.
There was a big slap down from a Sharks player in the first half - I was at the game, only got to see 1 replay on the big screen, and cannot say who it was (and I don't have it recorded to go back and check) but it looked far worse than that Chambers one, and not much different to Beale's - only difference was it was in closer contact so may have been deemed part of the tackle.
I think Beale went for the intercept, but I can see why it got carded. I asked the question elsewhere whether anyone had seen a penalty try awarded for such an offence 40 m out before. I had 1 answer of "Yes, Aus v Arg in the '80s !!!" followed by "plenty of other times".
Curious if others here recall such a thing being called.
Just for the record, I do not wish to debate the technicalities of the law and probabilities of tries being scored blah, blah, blah, just ask whether there is a precedent.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cyclo - yeah, I also can not recall a penalty try being given 30m out, or even 20m out. Any recent predecents would be really interesting, as would any official ref comment. Surely the distance from the tryline is the only reason as to why you would think that it cannot be given.

Would be interesting to hear if any older posters like LG can recall...

Can't recall the big slap down in the first half, but then I missed bits and peices as I was at someone's place and was getting up to do things every now and again. Doesn't surprise me Marks missed it though.

C

chief

You know I actually watched the Sharks v Waratahs game fully this time, not just in parts. And I was actually impressed with Paul Marks, I've watched him two weeks in a row, and although I've never fully understood why he's refereeing at Super 14 level. These two games explain so. He had a decent shot at it, and was probably my referee of the round from the 4 games I saw.

One of the debatable problems was the attempted intercept by Beale. I thought he was going for the intercept, it was certainly possible, and it was the AR who actually made the call. No referee would award a Penalty Try 22 metres out from the line. No one. Last I heard in the news was the Sharks want an explanation, will be interested to see what SANZAR gives them.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
chief said:
One of the debatable problems was the attempted intercept by Beale. I thought he was going for the intercept, it was certainly possible, and it was the AR who actually made the call. No referee would award a Penalty Try 22 metres out from the line. No one. Last I heard in the news was the Sharks want an explanation, will be interested to see what SANZAR gives them.

As you know, I'm usually the one to stick up for referee's and leave them out of the equation, but I have to disagree with the bolded bit above.

A constant theme on this board is wanting referee's to be able to make ballsy decisons. I wouldn't even call this one ballsy, I'd call it common sense, but if you disagree that it's common sense due to the distance, then perhaps wouldn't this fall into your ballsy category?

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
MajorlyRagerly said:
chief said:

As you know, I'm usually the one to stick up for referee's and leave them out of the equation, but I have to disagree with the bolded bit above.

A constant theme on this board is wanting referee's to be able to make ballsy decisons. I wouldn't even call this one ballsy, I'd call it common sense, but if you disagree that it's common sense due to the distance, then perhaps wouldn't this fall into your ballsy category?

The Refs are not out there to make ballsy decisions. They are out there to manage the game and referee to the law of the game.
I agree with Chief. Marks did a good job but was let down by the AR's in a few of the decisions.
The calls for a penalty try are just rubbish. No way that far out from the line.
The yellow was a good call by whoever made it.

C

chief

Honestly I don't think Dickinson, Walsh, Rolland, Barnes any other top flight referee would have gone under the posts and awarded a PT from 22 metres out from the line. No major game would have ever had that within the last 10 years. Too add it was an AR call as well.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
We'll have to agree to disagree then, as I honestly think they would and if they don't, I think it's the wrong decison.

Would be very interested to see what Bray/Watson et. al states. I suspect they'll probably agree with your too far away from the line theory if I'm honest to back the ref. Doesn't mean I'll hae to agree with it though.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fair enough.
I am a referee or should I say use to be. Retired now.
I would never had made that call from that far out in any game I had done.
The call for the penalty try during the Brumbies game was very suss indeed.
For a ref to make that call shows that he just lost it with frustration.
You have to be 100% sure that a try will be scored if not for the illegal play.
The 1/2 been offside while the ball is still in the scrum does not make for 100% in my view.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
There seems to be a huge amount of angst over the ref's call very late in the game. Referees' decisions over the entire 80 minutes have a bearing on the outcome although as in this game they tend to broadly balance out. Debating the effect of just one key decision in the dying minutes seems a fairly pointless exercise, although some people are obviously fascinated by it.

The Moving Finger of the Scorer presses; and, having pressed,
Is still: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a keystroke,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Numeral of it.

(Sorry about the plagiarism, Omar, old son)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
chief said:
Honestly I don't think Dickinson, Walsh, Rolland, Barnes any other top flight referee would have gone under the posts and awarded a PT from 22 metres out from the line. No major game would have ever had that within the last 10 years. Too add it was an AR call as well.

Did you watch the Brumbies game?

C

chief

Scotty said:
chief said:

Did you watch the Brumbies game?

Parts and yes I saw the PT in that game, and I disagree with it. As I don't think a try was going to be scored. Although you have a point. No ref would award a PT from 22 metres out. It's unheard of.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
Boet you obvious dont get it, the same Tah supporters claiming it as not a penalty try, piss in their pants a qweek ago about technical Jonkers got wrong the previous week when the Tahs lost vs the Brutes and have their mouths rolling about Kaplan. No vokken education can help one eyed observations for supprters jumping blame the ref when you end up on the wrog side of the score sheets!

PB, look at the scoreboard and STFU!! :lmao:
Boet by deleting my post I tried my very best but I did not take in consideration our state attorney on the board. :nta:

but now that you brought the post back into life I have to ask you why I have to look at the scoreboard and have to STFU.

I am defnitely not a Guppie or Tah supporter but I just find it funny that Tah supporters trying their best a week ago to bag Bonkers in the Brute match now find Beale and Marks reffing just fine. I'll put my cock on the block if it was like Ash stated Bonker reffing in Durbs and he made the same desicion the same lot would have post 50 You Tube images from all angles to say the SA refs have a conspitracy against all Aus teams.....and this thread would have been about 30 pages by now.

But I Lee Granted on this one.

Cyril Towers (30)
I just watched this game after reading all about it here first and it made for interesting watching. My comments:

Halangahu had a very good game. Not guilty of aimless kicking like many others, worked the inside channel very well and tackled like a demon. He has to stay.
TPN should be cloned
Agree that Baxter's work rate is better. Maybe a bit fresher after no spring tour? Again a stand out at counter rucking time.
Carter was both very good and very bad which is certainly better than being plain boring.
Mumm was really out of sorts, probably due to his enforced lay off. He'll be better this week.
Burgess played similar to last week but lacked the straight runners.
Cliffy was pretty ordinary
Douglas is good in patches but needs to lift his work rate. Probably fair enough for a young bloke adjusting to the pace of S14. He will be a good one.

and I thought Marks had a dud game. Missed a lot of knock ons and forward passes, seemed to get into awkward positions a lot and seems to cover his lack of confidence with bravado. But the Beale slap down call came from the touchy, not Marks. Not awarding a PT was fair enough, as it was a fair way out and there was some doubt about the ball being on the money.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Half time entertainment

Forgot to mention this earlier and as noone else has brought it up, here I go; what the hell was the half-time entertainment all about? Last year's was mildly amusing in a perverse kind of way, watching a bunch of unfit blokes (and the occasional lady) stuff up some basic rugby skills. Now they've got some colts from a couple of clubs to try and hit a pair of cardboard hands help in the air by the idiotic Tah Man. Visual appeal - zero. Entertainment value - zero. Likelihood of attracting more spectators to come to the game and take in the experience - significantly less than zero.

For a change, I dont think this one is solely the fault of the Waratahs marketing team; the marketing team of HSBC should also, as Kearns often says, walk into a room of mirrors and take a good look at themselves.

As ever though, I suspect that our very own Black Knight, defender of the Waratahs, will see things in a different light.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
HG said:
You have to be 100% sure that a try will be scored if not for the illegal play.

Thank god you are retired. A ref should know that it is whether a try PROBABLY would have been scored.

Not saying this is you HG but people that listen to Rabbits and Sterlo commentate a league game on a Friday night and then think they know the laws of rugby in respect to obstruction, double movements and penalty tries really annoy me.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Riddler - the halftime stuff is going to continue in that vein. A couple of our blokes are going to do something called a "Skill & Agility" test this Friday. They're handy speedsters so might be worth a look

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
My 3,2,1 for the refs.

1. Video Ref. (Quite quick with his decision and sounded like he didnt really care when he said Marksy, I suppose you can give that one)
2. Nathan Pearce (Pretty sure he was one of the A.RS)
3 - The chick that ran the Water for Marks. Looked kinda cute and good to see them encourage girls to get involved. Our version of Quota refs I guess but happy with that one.

-3 The other A.R. - Some have said he was a Saffa but I didnt hear an accent so am going to assume he is Australian. 3 awful decisions/recommendations and a couple of other poor calls/non calls.
-2 Ref Num 5. - Ran around like he was a busy boy on Oxford Street the week before.
-1 Marks

C

chief

the gambler said:
My 3,2,1 for the refs.

1. Video Ref. (Quite quick with his decision and sounded like he didnt really care when he said Marksy, I suppose you can give that one)
2. Nathan Pearce (Pretty sure he was one of the A.RS)
3 - The chick that ran the Water for Marks. Looked kinda cute and good to see them encourage girls to get involved. Our version of Quota refs I guess but happy with that one.

-3 The other A.R. - Some have said he was a Saffa but I didnt hear an accent so am going to assume he is Australian. 3 awful decisions/recommendations and a couple of other poor calls/non calls.
-2 Ref Num 5. - Ran around like he was a busy boy on Oxford Street the week before.
-1 Marks

Just did some research on who the refs were. ref

Assistants were Steve Hardy from Australia (swore he had a Saffa accent, who da fuck is he anyways) and Ian Smith (Australia)

And my personal favourite referee of Matt Goddard was the Video Referee. Great that he got a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.