• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
A little disturbing is the belief that Pretorius will be more effective than Giteau was last year, for example. I would not be glad that Gits left if I was a Force fan. Saying "he didn't want to be here, so someone else will be better" is just sugar coating the fact that he left.

There's some interesting stuff on TWF, and some know their rugby pretty well and have great inside knowledge of the team (which is why I like to read it). But, honestly, there's also a lot of self delusion, eg some already talk of McMalman as if he's a proven S14 player who adds greatly to the Force depth.

I still hold that the Force have a very strong backrow with good depth, great props with very good depth, and then no proven hooker (a huge risk), one proven lock in Sharpe (who's been significantly less effective at provincial level than international level lately) and a few unproven locks with potential. All in all a strong pack but with some weaknesses that could bite. Overall, apart from hookers the pack is improved from last year.

The backline is probably one of the weaker ones at S14 level (although definitely not the weakest), and if Pretorius goes down could really struggle. The decision to play J'OC at 15 really baffles me as the next 12 is a huge, and I mean huge, step down. If Shepherd can't play 15 because of his foot, then surely leaving J'OC at 12 and calling up DHP or Bartholomeusz to 15 would be the go. But I see the loss of Valentine for Sheehan as a negative, the less of Giteau for Pretorius as a negative, the loss of Mitchell as a negative, the loss of Staniforth as a negative, and Cummins is gone for half the season. The gain of Bartholomeusz will add depth and experience, but really, the level of the backline is significantly lower than last year and has gone from being maybe one of the top 3 - 4 backlines in the S14 and the best backline of the S14 Australian teams to being one of the bottom 6 backlines and the worst backline of the S14 Australian teams. If you want, I can do a comparison vs the Brumbies, Tahs and Reds, but I think all look better overall on paper, both for starting players and depth.

What I think will determine how effective the Force are will be very reliant on their forwards dominating (and no hiccoughs at lineout time - assuming they have a hooker who can throw well), if Pretorius stays uninjured and how he executes a game plan reliant on forward dominance (kicking to the corners will work well here if they aren't moving forward) and few injuries to their backs where the depth is paper thin (forward injuries could be well covered though).

A good result for the Force would be a mid-table finish, I'd think, around 7th - 8th. That would be reliant on a lot of things going their way, though. A few injuries could see the Force finish near the bottom.

I am hoping Pretorius goes well, he used to be one of my favourite players before he became a serially injured crock. And I am looking forward to some grunt from the Force - previously they relied on their backrow for parity in the forwards, now their tight 5 may be good enough for some parity to let their backrow dominate. Will be refreshing to see.

C

Coach

Ash said:
Saying "he didn't want to be here, so someone else will be better" is just sugar coating the fact that he left.

Correct. I'm talking our team up - what should I be doing? There's no point in bemoaing Gits leaving when we have an able replacement. Sure, Pretorius ain't no Giteau, but Giteau ain't no Pretorius either.

Western Australians are obviously a happier bunch of people and can remain upbeat about their team in the face of adversity. It's not delusional, it's a belief in the potential of the team.

They have the potential to do well. Whether or not this translates into points is yet to be seen, but I see no value (as a fan) in writing them off before the season has even started, and even less value in writing off those filling the positions vacated by gits and schmoo ....

That's not to say I don't agree with a lot of what you have written, Ash - you provide some good reading and analysis.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
waratahjesus said:
so coach, your saying realistically you write the force off for 20I0 but your inner fanboy wishes them well?

I think its more he is viewing the positives than the negatives.

Yes, Gits is amazing and their game plan was centered around him BUT without him (who truthfully didn't want to play there) they will be able to develop more team centric tactics. Probably based around the forwards.

Optimism isnt a shocking thing if their is some rationality behind it.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
en_force_er said:
waratahjesus said:
so coach, your saying realistically you write the force off for 20I0 but your inner fanboy wishes them well?

I think its more he is viewing the positives than the negatives.

Yes, Gits is amazing and their game plan was centered around him BUT without him (who truthfully didn't want to play there) they will be able to develop more team centric tactics. Probably based around the forwards.

Optimism isnt a shocking thing if their is some rationality behind it.

the game plan will still centre round a couple though, pretourious putting other teams on the back foot through kicking after solid forward build up isnt the attractive rugby the west criticise us eastern types for playing is it? the first I5 looks alright on paper, the creativity in the backline is what has me worried a bit. penalty goals and posession wont be a problem, its getting the gaps that giteau created for your team last year back again with a slower inside back combo.

i actually think sheehan will suit the style that is going to be played.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Time out guys. We are knocking the Force fans for their blind faith and probably having a chip on their shoulder too, but the majority of them see the coming season as one of consolidation.

But there have been one or two talking down the chances of the Tahs, and even the Brumbies, as if they had the high ground - and no, not the usual suspects. They are all the more funny because they are serious.

Rugby is a funny game and they have some good players, and they could be top dog in Oz - after all they beat the other 3 Oz teams last year, but as of now you've got to say that there are 13 rounds and you have to win a lot of home games. So walk the walk of winning at home before the talk - those few guys.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I see nothing wrong with optimism...I support the Reds, after all. Wouldn't mind seeing the Aussie sides as the top 4, but that isn't going to happen. Sadly, I think most people here have over rated where the Reds will finish in the ladder in the predictions thread, but that's a topic for said predictions thread.

The worry with over-optimism (perhaps bordering on delusion, like when I expected the Reds to make the semis in the early 2000s) is that the resultant disappoint can make you lose interest at times...like many Reds fans, I'm sure I can tell you all about that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Force will be less pretty, but more effective this season.

The current breakdown laws require a more structured approach as being isolated in attack is getting punished too quickly.

Pretorius, if he stays fit, will run the show very well.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Genl Petoors obvious the big discussing point in SA. Will be a sad day when his habit changing that sand when he kicks. It was his trade mark in rugby.

Superrugby
Pretorius may not start against Stormers

by Stephen Nell | 21 January 2010 (20:47)

Andre Pretorius © Gallo Images
Springbok flyhalf André Pretorius is unlikely to be in the Western Force’s starting line-up for Saturday’s friendly match against the Stormers at Newlands.

- Join our Super 14 Fantasy League with fantastic prizes up for grabs
- Buy rugby merchandise

While the visitors from Australia have no intention of announcing a starting team before the game, Sport24 has learned that there is a better chance that Pretorius will feature from the start against the Sharks on Tuesday.

Pretorius trained with his Force teammates on Thursday afternoon. It was noticeable that he used a kicking tee as opposed to sand, with which he kicked over the years.

“It’s nice to be back in the Cape because the people are rugby mad here,” said Pretorius.

“I actually kicked with a tee for the first time against the Force (for the Lions) last year because I struggled with sand against the Chiefs. I now use a tee, but you never know!”

Pretorius, 31, does not even want to discuss a possible Springbok recall.

“My focus is nowhere but the Super 14 with the Western Force. You will be ineffective if that is not your approach. The team’s aspirations should come ahead of any individual's,” he said.

“I am completely out of my comfort zone. I was at the Lions for 11 years and everything is now about getting out of my comfort zone and getting my game to the desired level. I have high expectations. We worked hard in the pre-season,” he said.

Pretorius had made a significant lifestyle change after his move to Perth from Johannesburg.

“There was a big change in lifestyle and it’s an improvement,” he said.

“You go to the beach after training and have your recovery sessions in the ocean. I’m not used to anything like that!”
The Valies dont like that bolded bit one bit. :lmao:

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm getting excited about Petoors. He was an amazing talent in his early twenties but for a combination of a horror run of injuries and getting stuck at the Lions he never reached potential. He almost retird had it not ben for a surgeon in Germany who managed to give him a second life. Also play with specially made boots.

I watched him carve up the Bulls at Loftus which got him his Bok call-up and he even had the Loftus faithful excited.

He injured himself in the Captains run leading up to the Wallaby test at Ellis Park (the one in which George gave the crowd the bird a few minutes too early).

I would worry about his kicking though which can be awesome or useless but rarely inbetween.

The change of scenery and the Perth environment might be the right thing for him.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
As a Force fan, I see many of the players leaving as very negative. Losing Giteau, Mitchell, McIsaac and Staniforth are huge losses that will struggle to be covered.

However, what I do see is the team finally starting to grow players as opposed to take ready-made stars from other teams. This will hopefully mean more loyalty and a much stronger team ethic than has previously been seed.

I think the big name players were necessary at the start. Perth was (and still is) an AFL market. Supporters are more ofen than not going to be fans of both sports. To get the fans across at the start meant that there needed to be familiar names, and at least competitiveness. Now the fans are here, the team can start some long term development. The local comp isnt yet good enough to adequately supply a super rugby team, but from what I hear, that competitiveness is coming, and the local players will start coming through.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
I'd love to see JOC (James O'Connor) playing outside Pretorius at 12.

Would do wonders for his development, give him a season to show Deans he can handle the defensive requirements and allow him to get his hands on the ball allot than at 15. I understand why Deans didn't blood him at 12 on the EOYT but IMO thats where he'd serve us best in the WC.

Lastly on Pretorius, I think Mitchells made a very wise move in recruiting him. Given the roster of backs he's been left with this year, the game plans of yesteryear are of no use. Mitchell will need to keep the ball tight and play positional rugby. This is the type of Rugby Pretorius excels at, and he has experience running less experienced backlines.

Yes, Giteau is a loss, but mainly for the other talent he attracted to the Force. With this squad they're better off with Pretorius.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Enlarge photo

The Western Force have been blocked in their bid to sign New Zealand hooker James Parsons from the North Harbour club amid last-minute legal threats.

Parsons was set to sign a two-year contract with the Force but yesterday North Harbour claimed that a "handshake deal" tied him to the NZ provincial club.

Parsons, 23, had been training with the Force since early this month.

North Harbour claim they expected him back for the Air New Zealand Cup competition after Super 14 but under Australian Rugby Union rules an overseas developing player cannot return to his former club.

Force rugby manager Mitch Hardy said: "Everyone had an understanding, North Harbour, the New Zealand Rugby Union, that if James was offered a contract he would not be able to return.

"North Harbour are holding him to a verbal agreement and said that if he takes up a contract they will take legal action.

"A handshake is enough for them to deny him the chance to play Super 14.

"James has no choice but to return. He does not want to get involved in a legal fight." North Harbour chief executive Brett Hollister claimed Parsons had "committed to sign an agreement" to play in this season's ANZ tournament.

When asked whether he held a signed contract with Parsons, Hollister said: "We have a written commitment to an agreement from his management and we sought external legal advice over the matter.

"I have shaken hands with the player as well. Either someone has not understood the contracting environment in Australia or misrepresented the player's intent to stay in Australia if he was offered a contract.

"That is the only conclusion you can draw."

However, Hardy said: "There was no contract, no offer in writing, no acceptance, just an email from his manager, and that's good enough for North Harbour.

"The only person losing out here is James."

Parsons had been picked for the Force's third pre-season trial against the Queensland Reds on Friday at ME Bank Stadium.

The Force will now start the season with Rockingham product Ryan Tyrrell and Australia A schoolboy Ben Whittaker.

·England will play an Australian side in a midweek warm-up match at ME Bank Stadium before the Test match against the Wallabies at Subiaco Oval in June.

Reports from the UK claim that Martin Johnson's touring squad will take on the Western Force on Tuesday, June 8 before the Test the following Saturday but an ARU spokesman confirmed that while England would play a second game in Perth it would be against an Australian representative side.

He could not confirm the composition of the side or how it would be selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.