• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Matt Dunning contract has been cancelled with Biarritz.
Apparently he has a severe back problem (can't translate the issue) that has been found during the medical check up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez that is a shame. Tuck is one of the good guys. If I were the Melbourne Rebels I would be snapping him up, he still has a few good years in him I reckon. Not sure what the injury is though.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Longbottom fronts Force against Samoa

By RugbyWA Media

Emerging West Australian prop, Kieran Longbottom, will be the first locally developed player to captain the Emirates Western Force when the side lines up for their second tour match against a test strength Samoa on Saturday afternoon.

Longbottom had a breakout season for the club in 2011 and is a wonderful example of the opportunities being afforded talented local players in WA. The versatile front rower made his way through club ranks with Rockingham before progressing to the Bankwest RugbyWA Academy and ultimately success in Super Rugby.

The 25 year old takes over from Sam Wykes who was skipper in the opening tour game but sustained a heavy knock in the opening half of last week’s clash and will play a limited role off the bench this time around.

“Like Sam, Kieran deserves the opportunity to Captain the Emirates Western Force. His performances in Super Rugby and his application and dedication to becoming a better player and leader at the club has gained a lot of respect amongst his team mates,” Coach Richard Graham said.

“Being a local WA player, captaining the club will no doubt mean a lot to Kieran and I’m delighted that he has earned this opportunity.”

After a strong performance again an international standard Samoan side last Saturday, Graham has challenged his young squad to repeat their efforts in the final game of the tour.

The Samoan President’s XV will feature a majority of players who were responsible for the islander’s shock win against the Wallabies last month and will use the match as final preparations before embarking on the Rugby World Cup campaign.

Graham has made a number of changes to his run-on side with five trial players given a starting chance as they press their claims for a contract in 2012.

“I felt it was important to not only reward performance but also give further opportunity to players who are competing for contracts at the club next season,” Graham said.

“Samoa has picked a test strength side. We are paying them respect through our preparation and are looking forward to building on the performance from last weekend.

“The challenge for the group is to back up against a very strong opposition and up our performance from our last outing.”

Tour Match 2
Samoan President’s XV v Emirates Western Force
Samoan time: Saturday, 27 August 2011, kick-off 3.00pm
Perth time: Sunday, 28 August 2011, kick-off 10.00am

Name

1.Kieran Longbottom (Captain)
2. Ben Whittaker
3.Ruan Smith (Trial player)
4. Tom Hockings
5.Phoenix Battye
6.Angus Cottrell (Trial player)
7. Will Brock (Trial player)
8.Jay Havelu (Trial player)
9.James Stannard
10.Willie Ripia
11. Jordan Rapana
12. Rory Sidey
13.Patrick Dellit
14.Sam Wara (Trial player)
15. Nick Cummins

Reserves
16. Nathan Charles
17. Paul Alo-Emile
18. Cruze Ah-Nau
19. Sam Wykes
20. Tevita Metuisela
21. Ted Postal
22. Dominic Fuller (Trial player)
23.Tim Bennetts (Trial player)
24. Alfie Mafi

Tour Match 1 - Result

Samoan Chairman's XV: 35
Emirates Western Force: 24 (Nick Cummins 1t, Sam Wara 1t, Willie Ripia 3p/1c, James Stannard 1p)

Match Updates: You can keep up-to-date with the match via Twitter @thewesternforce or our Facebook page www.facebook.com/westernforce

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/905/ArticleID/4264/Default.aspx

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
There is an article in todays "The West Australian" saying that the Force are about to sign Fijian winger Napolioni Nalaga as their marquee player for next year. The article is not yet on their website so will post it when available.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think I remarked about Nalaga before though I can't find the post; so maybe I didn't.

"Naps" played for my Clermont team in the Top14 and headed the tries scored tally for the whole comp for a couple of years, but he took leave during last season to get married. His girlfriend had an accident and the marriage didn't take place. He didn't return to France; so Clermont had to terminate his contract.

If he can play at the same level in Super Rugby as he did in the Top14 he will be an outstanding acquisition and will get people through the gates.

[Meantime David Smith endeared himself to the fans of his new club, Toulon. In Round 1 he chased up a penalty kick for goal, the ball bounced off the post and he grabbed it and scored, as the Biarritz players looked on.]

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Rumoured on PR for a while, good player and has scored some quality tries in the Heineken Cup.

For anyone that hasn't seen him take a look at this

[video=youtube;EvpE60J4ltw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvpE60J4ltw[/video]

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
: Excitement builds as Force sign Fiji winger

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian September 5, 2011, 7:16 am

Fijian flyer Napolioni Nalaga will be the Western Force international marquee signing for the 2012 Super season.

The Rugby World Cup game breaker will be a perfect replacement for Kiwi winger David Smith and will become a cult figure for Force fans.

The cashed-up Force, with money to spare after the loss of Wallaby James O'Connor, had spoken to Kiwi Sonny Bill Williams about a move across the Tasman, but Nalaga's signing will stop further speculation about Williams' move to WA.

The Force would not confirm Nalaga's signing last night, but Force coach Richard Graham has been searching worldwide for a replacement for Smith.

Nalaga, last year's leading French Top 14 try scorer and the Fiji Sevens outside back, who is part of the Pacific island's World Cup squad, has been playing for ASM Clermont Auvergne.

More; http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-excitement-builds-as-force-sign-fiji-winger/

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Force should put out a pretty decent team next season. I think they will be much more balanced and less focused on the backrow/JOC (James O'Connor) combination. This should free them up to play a more varied game plan. One of the halfbacks will have to step up and provide them with a bit of spark in attack as ripia and stannard, while serviceable, are not going to have teams guessing the way JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper do.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He looks like he will be a great signing for the Force. If they feed him plenty of ball he will get over the chalk quite a bit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope the commentators don't constantly refer to him as the Flying Fijian.

Almost every Fijian winger/speedster seems to get called that.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Rumoured on PR for a while, good player and has scored some quality tries in the Heineken Cup.

For anyone that hasn't seen him take a look at this

[video=youtube;EvpE60J4ltw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvpE60J4ltw[/video]

Early on in the clip there was a 13 who made him look sensational. Anyone know who he was? He'd be worth recruiting.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The blond guy? Forget it - the ARU couldn't afford him - Rougiere. He's had a new lease on life since Cotter moved him from wing to outside centre at Clermont. You can see why Lievremont was sweating on his return from injury for the RWC.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
More good news for the force. We've had the forward pack but not the backline for 2 years now, hopefully all these new signings change that. This guy is the only superstar, but at least we now have very good depth in the backline, some quality players will be on the bench.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
The blond guy? Forget it - the ARU couldn't afford him - Rougiere. He's had a new lease on life since Cotter moved him from wing to outside centre at Clermont. You can see why Lievremont was sweating on his return from injury for the RWC.

Rougerie? Hate this guy... liability

But regarding Nalaga, he had a pretty bad year as he was stucked in Fiji and couldn't play for Clermont.
If he can play at the level he had between 2008 and 2010, he will be a great asset for the Force.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
More good news for the force. We've had the forward pack but not the backline for 2 years now, hopefully all these new signings change that. This guy is the only superstar, but at least we now have very good depth in the backline, some quality players will be on the bench.

Should JOC (James O'Connor) link up with the same management as SBW's, what are the chances he could get out of the Rebels' contract to return to the Force to take advantage of the now better backline there?

(Blame my current humor on having just woken up from a long afternoon nap after starting work early this morning)

T

tranquility

This fijian bloke looks like an absolute star! will he playing at the cup or is he staying in france?

Status
Not open for further replies.