• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
More pieces of puzzle fall into place for Force

NICK TAYLOR, The West AustralianAugust 9, 2011, 8:18 am

The Western Force have finalised their forwards complement for the 2012 Super Rugby season by signing former NSW Waratahs back-rower Lachlan McCaffrey and bringing rookie second-rower Phoenix Battye into the senior squad.

McCaffrey, 21, a 194cm and 108kg No.8 who also plays blindside flanker, made his Super Rugby debut for the Waratahs in 2010 against the Cheetahs.

The former Australian schoolboys representative also played in the 2010 under-20 IRB Junior World Cup squad but then dislocated an ankle and broke both bones in his left leg playing for Eastwood in the Shute Shield finals that left him out of rugby for eight months.

He has signed a two-year deal and takes the spot vacated by Tevita Metuisela who has been cut from the Super squad.

The move west is a big one for McCaffrey who is very close to his big family of nine brothers and one sister and faces the monumental challenge of breaking into the all-Wallabies Force back row.

"At first I was a bit tentative. It's a big move but it seems like a great culture over here," he said.

"They are the best back-rowers in Australia and it's a good opportunity, a good challenge."

Battye joined the Force rookie squad from the Brumbies last season. He was signed to a one-year contract and will battle Nathan Sharpe, Sam Wykes and Toby Lynn for the two second-row spots.

T

tranquility

Good signing, he sounds as if he is a genuine 6. Both in stature and style. He probably won't be pushing Browny or Hodgson out of their position in the next season, but I guess if he is good enough the chance is there for him to lock down that 6 spot long term. Fingers crosses the worst of his injury concerns are behind him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good luck to the lad. He had a pretty fair game in Sydney trialling for the Force before the Super season started but I haven't seen much from him playing for Randwick nor in a game for Oz Universities I saw. Still, he had a rookie contract this year and they have converted it into a full contract; so he must be better than I think he is.

Lachie Mac is a promising player. With Mowen gone I thought he would be the backup for Palu next year because the press had mentioned that his Tahs contract included 2012. Dennis proved that he could play 8 this year and if no other 8 is acquired then at least another 6 has to be recruited by the Tahs.

By leaving Sydney Lachie leaves room at the Tahs, down the track, for his younger brothers. :D

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Force touring squad to Samoa for two matches. Sam Wykes is the captain. (Excuse the formatting).

Cruze Ah-Nau
Prop
180cms
115kgs
10/08/1990

Paul Alo-Emile
Prop
22/12/1991

Phoenix Battye
Lock
28/09/1990

Nathan Charles
Hooker
09/01/1989

Nick Cummins
Wing
05/10/1987

Patrick Dellit
Utility back
21/08/1986

Kyle Godwin
Flyhalf
30/07/1992

Tom Hockings
Lock
22/02/1986

Kieran Longbottom
Prop
20/12/1985

Alfie Mafi
Wing
08/06/1988

Tevita Metuisela
Loose forward
16/10/1983

Jordan Rapana
Utility back
15/08/1989

Rory Sidey
Inside centre
04/07/1986

James Stannard
Scrumhalf
21/02/1983

Justin Turner
Scrumhalf
12/03/1990

Ted Postal
Loose forward
16/05/1991

Willie Ripia
Flyhalf
20/08/1985

Ben Whittaker
Hooker
10/10/1989

Sam Wykes (Captain)
Lock
25/04/1988

Trial Players

Tim Bennetts
Centre (Eastwood, NSW)
01/08/1990

Will Brock
Loose forward (Nedlands, WA)
24/03/1986

Angus Cottrell
Flanker (West Brisbane, Qld)
20/11/1989

Dominic Fuller
Halfback (Easts, Qld)
19/04/1986

Jay Havelu
Flanker (Gold Coast, Qld)
04/08/1988

Ruan Smith
Prop (GPS, Qld)
24/01/1990

Sam Wara
Utility Back (Norths, NSW)
24/01/1986

Team Management

Head Coach: Richard Graham

Forwards Coach: Nick Stiles

Team Manager / General Manager Rugby: Mitch Hardy

Non-22 / ‘A’ Coach: Andrew Scotney

PS My understanding was that Hockings and Metuisela were released after the Super season?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Don't think Wara is up to Super 15 standard yet, not even close really. Wish we could see some of these games!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Where abouts is Cam Shepard in all this?

Is he still in RWC squad contention and will come back in when he doesn't make the 30, or god forbid.........he's not injured again.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Next Force Recruit: Quote - press release:

The Western Force has snared another NRL rising star with the signature of North Queensland Cowboys youngster Will Tupou for the next two seasons.

Born in Auckland, Tupou grew up in Queensland and played rugby throughout his school years before trying his hand at league as an 18 year old. He spent two years with the Broncos development squad before moving to the Cowboys where he has earned 21 first grade caps and scored seven tries to date.

Bursting onto the NRL scene in 2010 he made headlines with a match winning 82nd minute try for the Cowboys in their round 20 match against the Newcastle Knights at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Despite a bright future ahead in league, Tupou was keen to return to his rugby roots and is excited about heading to Western Australia and linking up with the Emirates Western Force.

“I enjoyed my time in league and happy that I gave it a go but playing rugby at the highest level is what I always wanted to do and it’s something that myself and my Dad have talked about since I was a kid,” Tupou said.

“The chance to come across and be part of the team in Perth and push to play Super Rugby is a dream come true, I’m really excited.”

A member of the 2007 Australian Schoolboys side Tupou is looking forward to being part of a backline in Western Australia that boasts the experience of Gene Fairbanks and Cameron Shepherd along with burgeoning talent including Nick Cummins and new recruit, and fellow former NRL player, Jordan Rapana.

“The Force has given me a great opportunity and I want to make the most of that,” said Tupou.

“There is a good mix at the club of experience and youth and I know I can learn a lot while I also hope to contribute a lot as well.”

While just 21 years of age, Tupou is a physically mature player who’ll add considerable bulk to the Emirates Western Force backs with his 196cm and 104kg frame.

“I like running at defences and I also take a lot of pride in my own defence and tackling. I think if defence can be the first thing you get right then the rest of your game can build off it,” said Tupou.

“I’m determined to show the club they’ve made a good choice not only in footy but also outside of the club as well, I want to be part of rugby in Perth and do my bit to continue to build the game in WA.”

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham is confident Tupou will quickly make the transition back into rugby and said when looking to recruit the youngster it was his size and strength, as well as his football smarts, that made him an attractive proposition.

“I have no doubt that Will could have enjoyed a long career in league and we’ve seen this year he has been a strong performer for the North Queensland side. His desire, however, to return to his rugby roots is a windfall for us and I think he’ll make a strong statement in Super Rugby,” said Graham.

“The way he made his way into first team reckoning in the NRL was impressive and if it hadn’t been for some unlucky injury setbacks he’d have plenty more games under his belt.

“He is really eager to take the chance to come back to rugby and I think he’ll bring a real physical presence to our midfield.

“In recruiting this year I wanted to bring in some physically developed players and Will’s involvement in a professional programme in Townsville under Neil Henry will have him ready for those demands and enable him to enjoy success in Super Rugby.”

Will Tupou
Position: Centre/Wing
DOB: 20/07/1990
Height: 196cm
Weight: 104kg
Previous Clubs: 2008 – 2009 Brisbane Broncos, 2010 – 2011 North Queensland Cowboys 21 app, 7 tries (NRL)
Honours: 2007 Australian Schoolboys (Rugby)

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Awesome, had big wraps on him coming out of BSHS. I remember the guy from 15manrugby's comments about Willie T and his brutal defence.

So glad to see him back as well as Joe Tomane. Didn't get too many chances at the cowboys because of Tonga and Tate this year.

So apart from Brent Hamlin all of the 2007 starting schoolboy backs have made it into Super teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Actually Willie was just a reserve for the Qld Ones team but you are right anyway: 10. To'omua, 11. L. Morahan, 12. Tapuai, 13. JOC (James O'Connor), 14 Tomane and 15. Toua all played, or will play, Super rugby. That was a top Qld backline, one of the best "state" schools backlines I have seen.

And NSW had only 2 to play Super rugby.

From NSW only Horne and Zipper would have made that Qld team based on form in the Canberra tournament. Horne would have been ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) and Zipper ahead of Morahan, who had a poor week. Both of those NSW players were in the Oz starting XV v NZ with JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench, and Morahan was in the Oz A team.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Oh yeah good point Lee, forgot JOC (James O'Connor) started at 13 instead of Willie T.

Looks like I won't have to swap my allegiance to the Rebels anymore, next years super comp is going to be very interesting for the young Aus Backs.

Caarn the Force

Status
Not open for further replies.