• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

I will admit that this may be a Red-eyed point of view, so forgive me of my bias. But I think this sentiment is a little rough on Jake Shatz, as I believe they are contemporaries and Jake has two full seasons of rugby under his belt, plus the captaincy of the U20s.

I have never seen Lachy play, but he sounds as though he is a great prospect and a touch nut to boot. I hope he can get some opportunities at the Force when they play a more conventional backrow.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That is way to early to make that assessment of Lachy, though I wished the Tahs could have kept him as he is very promising. Similar to McCalman in style - though not better than him at the same age methinks.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I remember being quite impressed with Lachy in the Tahs v Reds trial at Lismore back at the beginning of last year. Thought it was excellent and made the bold statement he'd play for the Wobs that year. Silly statement in the end, but I look forward to watching him progress at the Force.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Actually Willie was just a reserve for the Qld Ones team but you are right anyway: 10. To'omua, 11. L. Morahan, 12. Tapuai, 13. JOC (James O'Connor), 14 Tomane and 15. Toua all played, or will play, Super rugby. That was a top Qld backline, one of the best "state" schools backlines I have seen.

And NSW had only 2 to play Super rugby.

From NSW only Horne and Zipper would have made that Qld team based on form in the Canberra tournament. Horne would have been ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) and Zipper ahead of Morahan, who had a poor week. Both of those NSW players were in the Oz starting XV v NZ with JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench, and Morahan was in the Oz A team.
It was a particularly strong year for backs in Qld. Jonno Lance, another who has played Super Rugby, had to be content with captaining the Two's that year and went to OZ A, and Stapleton, who was Lance's school and state team mate, now plays for Cronulla. Can't forget Swanepoel who has run around for the Western Force. Interestingly only Schatz and Slipper have gone on to bigger things in the forwards.

That's all by the by, this is a Force thread, so back on topic. If Tupou shows half the promise he did as a 13 at school he should do alright.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Some very good signings for the Force. Tupou is a beast, it's good to see we could potentially have a SBW sized center.

R

rugby_man

I've always liked Locky McCaffrey each time I've seen him play. He is a very good player, runs the ball hard and does a lot of good work in and around the ruck. He is a McCalman clone as Lee has stated. I saw McCalman play in 2005 and I thought then he had the makings to be a Wallabies player down the track. I think the same about McCaffrey. I've always rated McCaffrey higher than Shatz but I must say Shatz has done very well since coming into the Super arena.

Good signing by the Force to nab Willie Tupou from the Cowboys. He has a physical presence and his defence will be a handy acquisition to the side in midfield. Interesting to see two league players who were stars at schoolboy level return to rugby after a few years in the NRL, with Joseph Tomane off to the Brumbies next year. I'd like to see that Matt Duffie from the Storm make the jump across. I think he would be a definite hit in rugby. Great in the air and has the speed and awareness to be a threat each time he touches the ball. Great player

T

tranquility

Mmmm, it is interesting. I wonder if they come back better or not?

Pros; probably better professional training in league environments, especially when considering senior squad Vs rugby academies

Cons; Obviously be away from the game, different body shapes, different running lines, etc.

Good to have them back in the code, we do not have enough depth at Super level to be losing talent to the other (equally interesting) code.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Squad named to tackle Samoa

By RugbyWA Media

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham has opted for a blend of emerging Super Rugby players, youthful exuberance and a number of new faces in his run-on side to tackle Samoa this Saturday.

In an extended 24 man squad Sam Wykes will lead the club for the first time in his 41 game career, while fellow lock Tom Hockings, who’ll play off the bench, speedy back Nick Cummins and flyhalf Willie Ripia, both in the starting XV, are the only other players on the tour to have notched more than 30 Super Rugby caps.

With Nathan Sharpe, David Pocock and Ben McCalman preparing with the Wallabies and injuries restricting the availability of experienced campaigners Brett Sheehan, Richard Brown, Gene Fairbanks and Cameron Shepherd, the Emirates Western Force have taken a youthful team to Samoa.

Six players in the starting side have yet to experience Super Rugby, while a total of seven of the 24 man squad are trial players pressing their claim for a place in the Emirates Western Force programme.

“I wanted to find the balance between playing our top side and exposing some potential new recruits to as much pressure as I could,” said Graham on his selections.

“I feel we have a good balance.

“We have agreed to play an extended bench meaning everyone will get game time this weekend.”

The Samoan’s inflicted plenty of pain on the Wallabies last month and Graham said he expected them to provide a tough challenge, particularly on home turf, as they round out preparations ahead of a tilt at the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.

While down on experience, the enthusiasm levels are high in the West Aussie camp with everyone looking forward to testing themselves against a genuine international opponent.

“It provides us with a good opportunity to see who will step up as players and emerge as leaders without the comfort of our Wallaby contingent,” Graham said.

“Samoa is a very good side as recently demonstrated with their win over the Wallabies. They are just three weeks away from the World Cup and will be well prepared and keen to build on a strong foundation.”

Tour Match 1
Samoa v Emirates Western Force
Samoan time: Saturday, 20 August 2011, kick-off 3.00pm
Perth time: Sunday, 21 August 2011, kick-off 10.00am

Name

1.Kieran Longbottom
2.Nathan Charles
3.Paul Alo-Emile
4.Sam Wykes ©
5.Phoenix Battye
6.Angus Cottrell (Trial player)
7.Tevita Metuisela
8.Will Brock (Trial player)
9.James Stannard
10.Willie Ripia
11.Alfie Mafi
12.Rory Sidey
13.Tim Bennetts (Trial player)
14.Sam Wara (Trial player)
15.Nick Cummins

RESERVES

16.Ben Whittaker
17.Ruan Smith (Trial player)
18.Cruze Ah-Nau
19.Tom Hockings
20.Jay Havelu (Trial player)
21.Ted Postal
22.Dominic Fuller (Trial player)
23.Patrick Dellit
24.Jordan Rapana

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting to see Cummins at fullback and Dellit on the bench. A pretty decent looking young side by the looks of it.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
From BBC sport..... Should be a great learning experience for him...

Gloucester sign Western Force hooker Nathan Charles

08:36 GMT, Friday, 19 August 2011 09:36 UK
Gloucester have signed hooker Nathan Charles on a short-term contract.

The 22-year-old Australian has been drafted in from Super Rugby side Western Force.

Gloucester have been forced to find a replacement hooker for their pre-season campaign after Matias Cortese required minor knee surgery.

And with Scott Lawson on international duty with Scotland, Koree Britton and Darren Dawidiuk were their only available options.

"Nathan's a very highly rated hooker in Australia," said head coach Bryan Redpath.

"We're fortunate to be able to bring him in to cover Matias' absence.

"We had to act because if anything happened to Koree or Darren in the pre-season games, we'd have no hooker cover for the start of the Premiership season. So, it'll be good to have him on board."

The important part is 'short-term contract' to cover their pre-season games...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Smart move. We know he's handy in the loose and a pretty decent scrummager, so a stint in the UK could develop his tight game even further.

Charles may well be the starting hooker for the Wallabies when the BIL's come in 2013.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good on him. I wonder if the English bookies know of his attacking nature? Might be worth a bet on first try/try assist whenever he players.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
Squad named to tackle Samoa

By RugbyWA Media

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham has opted for a blend of emerging Super Rugby players, youthful exuberance and a number of new faces in his run-on side to tackle Samoa this Saturday.

In an extended 24 man squad Sam Wykes will lead the club for the first time in his 41 game career, while fellow lock Tom Hockings, who’ll play off the bench, speedy back Nick Cummins and flyhalf Willie Ripia, both in the starting XV, are the only other players on the tour to have notched more than 30 Super Rugby caps.

I thought Hockings was let go?

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I looked for a tour thread, but couldn't find it. Hoping this is the most appropriate thread, but feel free to let me know if I'm wrong.

SAMOA v WESTERN FORCE (game 1)

The scoring started in the 7th minute with a Willie Ripia conversion. (Samoa 0 - Western Force 3)
Followed by a try to trial player Sam Warra, the try was unconverted. (Samoa 0 - Western Force 8)
Samoa got on the board with a James So'oialo penalty. (Samoa 3 - Western Force 8)
In the 19th minute Samoa score a try to level the scores; the conversion attempt misses. (Samoa 8 - Western Force 8)
Converted try to Nick Cummins. (Samoa 8 - Western Force 15)
Faatonu Penalty. (Samoa 11 - Western Force 15)
Try to Alafoti. Conversion missed. (Samoa 16 - Western Force 15)
Penalty converted by Ripia. (Samoa 16 - Western Force 18)

HALF TIME

Ripia lands a penalty soon after half time to extend the lead. (Samoa 16 - Western Force 21)
James Stannard kicks a penalty. (Samoa 16 - Western Force 24)
Try to Samoa by Ole Avei. It's converted. (Samoa 23 - Western Force 24)
Another try to Samoa this time by Jeremy Su'a. Conversion successful. (Samoa 30 - Western Force 24)
Yet another try to Samoa, this time by Alesana. Try not converted. (Samoa 35 - Western Force 24)

FULL TIME

I can't really comment on how anybody played, because I wasn't there, but it looks like a worthy effort with the wheels falling off a little at the end.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting that Ruan Smith is getting a trial. He showed immense promise for Qld II Schools before his family returned to the RSA a few years back now. He eventually played for the WP juniors, which is no mean feat. He trialled for the Rebels earlier in the year but didn't get any kind of gig; so I wonder how he will go in this trial.

Talking of young props: PAE should get on the park in 2012. If he becomes as good a senior player as he was as a schoolboy, in a few years time - watch this space.

Status
Not open for further replies.