• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Should been trying to sign try scoring wingers and not solid centres imo.

Winston is not a 'solid' centre, he is an exceptionally talented young player who has had limited opportunities. Very astute signing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Winston is not a 'solid' centre, he is an exceptionally talented young player who has had limited opportunities. Very astute signing.

Have people actually seen him play? I know I have and he doesn't even stand out at ITM cup level. I think he's pretty average tbh.

N

Neil

Heard today that young backrower from the tahs lachy mcaffrey has signed a 2 year deal to move west. Havent seen a great deal at S15 level due to horrific broken ankle in club semis last year, however good prospect and provides a different backrower to the workers of brown,mccalman and hodgson

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmmm, guess he replaces Jenkins then, and perhaps opens up a (slight) chance for Jenkins at the Tahs pro academy. He is a different option from Pocock, Hodgson and Jenkins, who are all 7s, so it probably a good pickup by the Force. Perhaps indicates Metesula (or however you spell it) will not be persevered with also.

T

TOCC

Ha, Winston is more then just a 'average' player, he is quite good and I was dissapointed a few years ago when the Reds tried to sign him but missed out..

Il be very interested to see how he goes in 2012, at the moment its hard to guess considering they makeup of the Force backline still has so many question marks over it.

T

tranquility

Why does everyone like to call Brown a 7? I know he was originally a 7, but he hasn't played their in a long time and he doesn't even really play like a 7.

He is an undersized 6 / 8, who is good at Super level, but doesn't cut it at international level.

T

TOCC

Why does everyone like to call Brown a 7? I know he was originally a 7, but he hasn't played their in a long time and he doesn't even really play like a 7.

He is an undersized 6 / 8, who is good at Super level, but doesn't cut it at international level.

I agree, his the equivalent of John Roe or Stephen Hoiles, all talented, all work hard, but just not quite suited to international rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ha, Winston is more then just a 'average' player, he is quite good and I was dissapointed a few years ago when the Reds tried to sign him but missed out..

That's a tough sell for someone who has never played Super rugby before. He may have potential but I wouldn't go saying he's a great signing, it's a bit of a gamble. I saw him play in the ITM cup and he hasn't put in any game-breaking performances yet, just very serviceable. If he gets close to Benson then he'd be a good signing.

T

TOCC

That's a tough sell for someone who has never played Super rugby before. He may have potential but I wouldn't go saying he's a great signing, it's a bit of a gamble. I saw him play in the ITM cup and he hasn't put in any game-breaking performances yet, just very serviceable. If he gets close to Benson then he'd be a good signing.

he has played Super Rugby before.. in fact he played in the finals match when the Blues beat the Tahs...

T

tranquility

I have a feeling he may have even won a bronze boot for the Kiwis, in the schoolboys? I don't think that can be considered anything but a good signing, especially as he has come from across the ditch and qualifies as an Australian. I will not say anymore about this signing.

But can someone confirm if he did or did not win a bronze boot? My memory may be deceiving me.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Heard today that young backrower from the tahs lachy mcaffrey has signed a 2 year deal to move west. Havent seen a great deal at S15 level due to horrific broken ankle in club semis last year, however good prospect and provides a different backrower to the workers of brown,mccalman and hodgson

According to a press report last year listed in the Tahs contract Wiki:

Tooheys New Shute Shield Rookie of the Year Locky McCaffrey and Sydney University premiership-winning prop Paddy Ryan have both been elevated from the Junior Waratahs professional squad on deals which will take them through to the end of the 2012 season.

What is your source Neil?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have a feeling he may have even won a bronze boot for the Kiwis, in the schoolboys?

But can someone confirm if he did or did not win a bronze boot? My memory may be deceiving me.

No, he didn't.

He's a good signing but folks shouldn't think he's anything but a promising Super player. He very similar to big brother in that he is a resolute tackler and can dish a ball. He had a top ITM Cup last year, or at least in the games I saw, and if he has the bloodlines of Smoking Joe he's gotta be a good 'un.

Status
Not open for further replies.