• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

You would have to say, that on paper at the very least the Force have as good of a coaching setup if not better than all the other Australian teams. I however would not trade Link for anybody, but the sum of the parts are looking very very good.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
A bit of background from The Oz - earlier this year:

QUEENSLAND Reds coach Ewen McKenzie has lost one of his strongest support pillars with the sudden departure from Ballymore of Phillip "Chook" Fowler.
In the Super Rugby media guide, Fowler is listed as the Reds' strategy coach, but he has also acted as their psychologist and kicking coach.
A valuable coaching resource for McKenzie, Fowler had worked with him at the NSW Waratahs.
It is understood Fowler, known for his frankness, left after a difference of opinion over a player review.
"Phillip Fowler is not working with us any more," Reds chief executive Jim Carmichael said.
"He was not on the coaching staff.
"He was a contractor. He had a 30-day clause in his contract and we exercised it."
While Fowler was not technically a part of the Reds' coaching staff, he was arguably the most important member of McKenzie's support team.
A brilliant rugby mind, Fowler was instrumental in devising the game plans that helped the Reds win their maiden title last year.

www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rugby-union/reds-lose-their-brilliant-mind/story-e6frg7o6-1226339236910

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
You would have to say, that on paper at the very least the Force have as good of a coaching setup if not better than all the other Australian teams. I however would not trade Link for anybody, but the sum of the parts are looking very very good.

I was thinking the same thing - I don't think for a minute that they have the best head coach (can't make an argument that Foley is a better coach than Link or Jake White), but as a group you'd have to say they are as good or better than the other Australian franchises. Now for that quality #12 ...

On a separate note, I read that Rasolea failed his medical. Does that mean he is done and his offer torn up? Or does he get an opportunity to get fit/healthy? How does that work?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I was thinking the same thing - I don't think for a minute that they have the best head coach (can't make an argument that Foley is a better coach than Link or Jake White), but as a group you'd have to say they are as good or better than the other Australian franchises. Now for that quality #12 .

On a separate note, I read that Rasolea failed his medical. Does that mean he is done and his offer torn up? Or does he get an opportunity to get fit/healthy? How does that work?

Failed his medical is pretty vague. If it means he misses part of preseason you'd imagine they'd deal with it but if he'll miss the whole season I'd imagine he'd get the flick.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The acquisition of Meehan is a coup. It is good to see more Aussie coaches who held elite coaching positions in Europe, like Cheika, McGahan and Meehan, come back home.

Meehan did a great job with Bath when it was in a situation much like the Force is in now. Inevitably, about 2 years ago, they went through a rough patch and later in the season brought in McGeechan as DOR above Meehan, then eased him out. Last season the great Lions coach took over as coach himself but could do no better with the cattle he had.

What happened to Meehan happens even to good coaches, as Cheika and McKenzie will attest to. The Force are lucky to have him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The acquisition of Meehan is a coup. It is good to see more Aussie coaches who held elite coaching positions in Europe, like Cheika, McGahan and Meehan, come back home.

Meehan did a great job with Bath when it was in a situation much like the Force is in now. Inevitably, about 2 years ago, they went through a rough patch and later in the season brought in McGeechan as DOR above Meehan, then eased him out. Last season the great Lions coach took over as coach himself but could do no better with the cattle he had.

What happened to Meehan happens even to good coache, as Cheika and McKenzie will attest to. The Force are lucky to have him.

This is why it's so hard to work out who's a good coach but a victim of circumstance and who's an average coach but profiting off a good system.

Meehan seems the goods but he was forced out of Bath by McGeechan who is considered a very good coach but didn't have much more success (despite a more robust playing roster).

Only a few years ago Ewen had be squeezed out of both the Tahs and Stade Francis in a 3 year spell. Semantics aside, he's now considered to be the man who should be coaching Australia.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, unless you're an insider nobody knows who's a good or bad coach.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is why it's so hard to work out who's a good coach but a victim of circumstance and who's an average coach but profiting off a good system.

Meehan seems the goods but he was forced out of Bath by McGeechan who is considered a very good coach but didn't have much more success (despite a more robust playing roster).

Only a few years ago Ewen had be squeezed out of both the Tahs and Stade Francis in a 3 year spell. Semantics aside, he's now considered to be the man who should be coaching Australia.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, unless you're an insider nobody knows who's a good or bad coach.

It's a very good point.

I've always thought that Mooney's contribution to what the Queensland Reds are now is massively undervalued. He took on a team that was in dire straits and built the foundation that Link used to turn the Reds into a Championship winning team.

Conversely, Robbie Deans took over a successful Crusaders team with a roster chock-a-block full of stars.

T

TOCC

It's unfortunate Phil Mooney doesn't earn more recognition, his persistence with players like Genia, Quade and Horwill as captain set the team up for their 2011 success..

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the force still need a class inside back, one that can kick goals.

Harris would have been the perfect buy for them.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think the force still need a class inside back, one that can kick goals.

Harris would have been the perfect buy for them.
We tried a couple of years ago to get him when he was still in NZ but wanted to stay their then when he didnt get a contract he was snaped up by the reds. Its a shame if all fit and if quade stays someone is going to miss out next year at the reds.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It's funny how events play out.

I reckon if the force had of made the changes they are currently making at the end of 2010, than both O'Connor and Pocock would still be in the team. It took both these blokes leaving to do what was necessary to get them to stay....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Force have had some bad luck with injuries, especially to their flyhalves, but they have made some poor decisions also.

In a way it is not their fault. If they are looking at players from the Shute Shield in Sydney for example, they have to assess a fellow for pro rugby on how he plays with and against inferior players competing at a level two grades down. Even the Tahs wouldn't be 100% sure about their own local players.

How much better it would have been been if they could top up their roster and EPS after looking at players in the Oz version of the ITM Cup - or to pencil them in for 2014.

With the poor depth we have in Oz, our Super teams can ill-afford to give precious contract spots or even EPS berths to dud players.

I know we can't afford such a competition and I know I am preaching to the converted, but had the ARC continued after 2007 I am convinced that Oz Super teams would have stronger rosters now.

Status
Not open for further replies.