• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
has the Force named their assistant coach as 2013 coach surely that will be enough for Pocock to get professional a move on to the greener fields of brumbyland

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Since Godwin is 1st choice 10 for the U20s, shouldn't the Force focus on developing him, rather than buying in some marquee player?

Godwin is a good facilitator. He makes room for those around him and let's them shine. With the current Western Force backline he would be on a hiding to nothing.

He may have the individual brilliance game, but I haven't seen it yet. We need to develop or recruit some players he can put into a hole before we throw this young one to the wolves and dent his confidence.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
you need to ask why he isn't already signed with the force. the answer is there, AKA: JOC (James O'Connor), Giteau, Mitchell

I think YOU need to ask yourself: "Self, is he just waiting for the new coach to be hired?"

Or, that stuff you cynically suggested... one or the other.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
you need to ask why he isn't already signed with the force. the answer is there, AKA: JOC (James O'Connor), Giteau, Mitchell
To even put Pocock in the same group as JOC (James O'Connor) Giteau and Mitchell is an insult to Poey. They were just money hungry mercenaries, something that will play no part in pococks decision.

SealClubber77

Stan Wickham (3)
To even put Pocock in the same group as JOC (James O'Connor) Giteau and Mitchell is an insult to Poey. They were just money hungry mercenaries, something that will play no part in pococks decision.

Pocock does have standards. However I believe JOC (James O'Connor) was poorly advised (mainly by his dad) and Mitchell genuinely wished to live in NSW, too bad they have a shocking team thus far. As for Giteau, dead on, taking the 4 million for the Force potentially ruined his wallabies career. But I wouldn't be surprised if Pocock left for the Brumbies, they are a young, talented side that have built themselves up rather than buying talent.

Perhaps Pocock's absence will cause the Force to have a think about their future and look for young exciting talent in South African and Australian Schools rather than buying old, developed talent like the Waratahs have.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
This puts things in abit of perspective from a players point of view

Western Force and Wallabies flanker Matt Hodgson has called for a review and overhaul of the franchise to ensure its future.
The influential foundation player has criticised the Australian Rugby Union's lack of funding for a local academy, says the club should be allowed to recruit more overseas players and questions how long suffering Force fans will stay loyal without success.
Hodgson, who has made 82 appearances for the Force, second only behind Nathan Sharpe, is also not surprised that captain David Pocock has not recommitted while the club is without a coach.
"I suggest that he could hardly be expected to commit when the coaching position is still not filled," he said.
If the Force were given strategic concessions, success would come sooner than later, Hodgson said.
"An analysis of the WA situation is needed and something needs to be done to ensure the Force thrives, not just survives," he said on his website, matthodgson.com.au.
"The environment in WA is unique within Australian rugby and I feel that the standard approach employed by the ARU is not conducive to the success of this franchise.
"WA has limited funding for community development compared to east coast States meaning this is unlikely to change any time soon.
"How are we supposed to grow the game when there is no academy in Perth? Perth does not have the club rugby stocks and structure to draw upon to develop our own players in the numbers that are required."
Hodgson said extra mature foreign imports would "do wonders" for the performances and development of players at the club.
"I believe that recruitment concessions for the Force, similar to the Melbourne Rebels (allowed 10 overseas players when they started) need to be considered by the ARU to assist the club to develop into a competitive base for rugby.
"To date the Force have enjoyed limited returns for their internationals largely due to injuries, but their potential contribution to the team cannot be underestimated.
"The development of rugby in WA would advance rapidly if the Force was a consistently successful, competitive team."
Hodgson said recruitment was an on-going challenge.
"I am from the central coast of NSW and having been in Perth for seven years and marrying a local, I feel that this is my home," he said.
"I can tell any prospective player the positives of the club, lifestyle, loyal fans and the many other benefits to my adopted home however it does not necessarily mitigate the points that I, and others in the media, have made.
"There is support for rugby in Perth to make it viable but membership numbers drop each year, as do the crowd numbers. How long will the loyalty of the Sea of Blue be sustained without success?"

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/13945140/force-of-the-future-need-aru-help-now/.[/quote]

If you want to read the whole thing
http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?p=317147

well worth it

M

Moono75

....perhaps your powers of analysis aren't your strongest point. We know Pocock is a competitor and won't sign until he knows what direction the coaching and player recruitment goes. If for some reason he does decide to leave for the Brumbies.....well Poey will just be another fly in fly out worker cause why would you want to live in Canberra.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
..perhaps your powers of analysis aren't your strongest point. We know Pocock is a competitor and won't sign until he knows what direction the coaching and player recruitment goes. If for some reason he does decide to leave for the Brumbies...well Poey will just be another fly in fly out worker cause why would you want to live in Canberra.
Not even mud lives there lol

M

Moono75

some talk on TWF that the Force have signed a couple of players to be announced soon. Don't know if that means current players or new recruits. At least the wheels are churning.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
..perhaps your powers of analysis aren't your strongest point. We know Pocock is a competitor and won't sign until he knows what direction the coaching and player recruitment goes. If for some reason he does decide to leave for the Brumbies...well Poey will just be another fly in fly out worker cause why would you want to live in Canberra.

if Pocock wants to be with the Brumbies and fulfils his agreement with them he can do as he pleases

M

Moono75

Force twitter feed saying a new Force signing to be announced this morning. Tapuai?

Exciting!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sevens star signs with Emirates Western Force
Australian Sevens star Junior Rasolea has signed with the Emirates Western Force for the 2013 and 2014 FxPro Super Rugby seasons.

The livewire inside/outside centre has been a regular with the Aussie Thunderbolts in the abridged version of the game, after he was recruited by national coach Michael O’Connor prior to the 2011 Gold Coast Sevens.

The hard-running, ball-carrying midfielder was spotted playing for newSTAR, an academy side that upset the Thunderbolts in the grand final of the Noosa International Sevens, with Rasolea’s performance seeing him immediately drafted into the national side. The former Queensland Schoolboy representative went on to start in five of seven games at the Gold Coast event.

The former Anglican Church Grammar School student, who started in the centres for Fiji during their best-placed finish (sixth) at his second IRB Junior World Championship in 2011, says it was another graduate from his alma mater that helped form his decision to join the Emirates Western Force.

“I went to Churchie in Brisbane which was the same high school as David Pocock,” he said. “I remember seeing clips of him at school playing inside centre; he was a star and someone I looked up to. I’ve seen how players like him and James O’Connor have developed and what they’ve gone onto after starting with the Force and it seemed like the best place for me to develop my rugby.”

The 21-year-old says he’s keen to begin staking his claim for his FxPro Super Rugby debut.

“My goal is to make the 22 but the biggest thing is to have some input into the team, developing the team and developing my own game,” he said. “Sevens has been great for my development and I’m looking forward to bringing a lot of those skills – such as counter attacking – with me.”

RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid says Rasolea is an exciting young prospect for the Emirates Western Force in 2013.

“Junior’s already demonstrated that he’s a player with a lot of potential,” he said. “He has good size and strength for a young player and has coupled that with the dynamic pace and evasiveness that we’ve seen from many of the top-line players with Fijian heritage.

“Junior’s another player who’s benefited from coming through the Sevens pathway but has shown through his time with the Fiji Under 20’s and the University club in Brisbane that he has a considerable amount to offer in the 15-a-side game.

“We’re very pleased announce Junior and Sias Ebersohn as the first of several new signings for the Emirates Western Force for the 2013 season.”

Name: Solomoni ‘Junior’ Rasolea
Born: 29/04/1991
Position: Centre
Height: 184cm
Weight: 102kg
Representative Rugby: 2011–2012 Australian Sevens, 2010–2011 Fiji Under 20, 2008–2009 Queensland Schoolboys, 2007 Queensland Under 16s

M

Moono75

Good pickup. Nice to sign up a young guy with plenty of potential. I wonder if Tapuai remains in the mix then?

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
well Poey will just be another fly in fly out worker cause why would you want to live in Canberra.

Just to support your statement with facts, would you be able to name current Brumbies players who live somewhere else and "fly-in" and "fly-out".

Bit sad you can't do any better that attack the place.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just to support your statement with facts, would you be able to name current Brumbies players who live somewhere else and "fly-in" and "fly-out".

Bit sad you can't do any better that attack the place.

To add to that point whilst I have nothing against Canberra or Perth they're both pretty quiet (specially for a young bloke), it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Status
Not open for further replies.