• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Who is rumoured for EPS spots?

Burton, Lacey, Hoskins + the token saffa and kiwi journeyman?

EPS Could look something like this next year

1. Hugh Roach
2. Ollie Hoskins
3. Adam Coleman
4. Luke Burton
5. Mick Snowden

Also the Squad sizes could go up as teams will need to carry more props so the 30 may be 31/32.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also just looking a the Force Site the have updated their players section with the heading 2014 Emirates Western Force Squad

http://www.westernforce.com.au/Team/EmiratesWesternForce.aspx

It has got rid of all this years players who aren’t returning and has 31 players list the 26 I have on the last page (confirmed signings) along with Manu, Walton, Cummins, Dellit and Stanley (not yet confirmed).

This gives you the 31 and if the squad size is 32 then the last spot goes to JOC (James O'Connor) and happy days at the Force.

Plus the EPS.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
EPS Could look something like this next year

1. Hugh Roach
2. Ollie Hoskins
3. Adam Coleman
4. Luke Burton
5. Mick Snowden

Also the Squad sizes could go up as teams will need to carry more props so the 30 may be 31/32.

I would expect squad sizes to increase. Wasn't the quoted reason for not introducing the extra prop on the bench in 2013 precisely that the 30 man squad size didn't accommodate it?

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have a feeling we will find out tomorrow. Possibly on rugby hq. also izzys future will be revealed on hq.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So what is the Force team looking like for next year?

Good backline, certainly!

Prior
Holmes
Cummins
Godwin
Stubbs
Beiber
Morahan

?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cummins caught in contract catch-22

Nick Taylor,
The West Australian
August 29, 2013, 6:48 am

Western Force and Wallabies star Nick Cummins is keen to commit to the Super Rugby club but his playing future is in limbo.

Both the Force and Australian Rugby Union have tabled offers and opened talks with Cummins, while the Force have spoken to the ARU about a Wallabies top-up for the winger.

Cummins, who will be out of contract in December, has received an offer from another Australian Super Rugby franchise and there is interest from overseas, including Japan.

Earlier this year, French Top 14 side Montpellier made an offer that the Force could not have matched.

But because Cummins wants to stay with the Force and establish himself as a Wallaby, he has put all other offers on the backburner and by not chasing the big money international deals, doors are closing as overseas seasons have either started or are about to get under way.

Cummins' manger Carl McDonald said offers had been tabled but he had only had informal talks with the ARU, Force management and coach Michael Foley. Further talks had not yet been scheduled.

"Nick's first priority is securing a place in the Wallabies Test side," McDonald said.

The Force are keen to retain Cummins, who has become a fan favourite and cult figure with his self-proclaimed honey badger nickname, but chief executive Mark Sinderberry is on a holiday this week and talks will not restart until he returns.

It is understood Cummins is chasing an upgrade heading into 2014, but the Force would find it hard to fund his initial request because of financial constraints.

He is in a catch-22 situation. Under ARU policy, players must be contracted and playing with a Super Rugby franchise or in a domestic competition to be considered for national selection.

Unless a player confirms they have struck a deal in Australia they will not open discussions with them about a Wallabies deal.

Cummins and James O'Connor are the Force's two big signing targets for next season.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ract-catch-22/

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Whilst the journo above it the forces go to man when they want something out in the media well informed people have said on other sites that this is old news......if you know what i mean ;)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
So what is the Force team looking like for next year?

Good backline, certainly!

Prior
Holmes
Cummins
Godwin
Stubbs
Beiber
Morahan

?

Alby would easily be at 9 ahead of Prior, he is a far superior halfback. Prior will be Alby's understudy.

13 is a big question mak with Rasolea, Stubbs, Delitt, Brache, Stanley all fighting it out with Stubbs. At this point, I don't think that Stubbs is in front of the others necessarily.

Hayward (listed as a centre?) and DHP provide some decent depth at wing/fullback as well. Much, much stronger looking backline from the Force for 2014.

edit: Going by the Force's website, they have a whole team of centres in their squad.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Cowen
Charles / Tessman
Manu
MMM
Steenkamp
Cottrell
Hodgson
McCalman
Matheson
Holmes
DHP
Godwin
Cummins
JOC (James O'Connor)
Morahan

Tessman / Charles
Longbottom
Faulkner
Wykes
Alcock
Stubbs
Ebersohn
Hayward / Rasolea

Bang

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cowen
Charles / Tessman
Manu
MMM
Steenkamp
Cottrell
Hodgson
McCalman
Matheson
Holmes
DHP
Godwin
Cummins
JOC (James O'Connor)
Morahan

Tessman / Charles
Longbottom
Faulkner
Wykes
Alcock
Stubbs
Ebersohn
Hayward / Rasolea

Bang

Need Prior on the bench so you would drop Stubbs or Ebersohn enough cover at 10 with Godwin and JOC (James O'Connor).

Also think that Alcock will be really hard done by if he is stuck on the bench all year Hodgson is a greaty= of the club but Alcock is the better player now IMHO.

Cummins at 13 i Really Like but i wold also like to see JOC (James O'Connor) have a crack i think he has everything to be the next BOD.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Force extends record local players in 2014 squad

By RugbyWA Media Unit

Luke%20Burton%20300x250.jpg

Luke Burton​

The Emirates Western Force has added a further two Western Australian players to its 2014 squad with the signing of inside back Luke Burton (UWA Rugby Club) and scrumhalf Ryan Louwrens (Cottesloe Rugby Club).

Burton and Louwrens, who join the squad on one-year Extended Playing Squad contracts, extends the already record number of local players in the squad to six, joining Kyle Godwin, Kieran Longbottom, Zack Holmes and Dane Haylett-Petty.

The promotion of the local pair into the senior squad reinforces the club’s focus on providing a pathway for outstanding local talent as well as a move away from a traditional reliance on the east-coast based player pool.

Both Burton and Louwrens have progressed through the ranks of the RugbyWA Academy and will enter the 2014 pre-season having already been regular members of the Force’s extended training squad during the 2013 Super Rugby season.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says he’s pleased to feature a record number of local players within his squad.

“We are a West Australian team and it’s important we acknowledge quality local talent.” he said.

“Luke and Ryan have earned their opportunity through consistent performances in the local competition and consistent hard work under [RugbyWA Junior Elite Coach] Dwayne Nestor in the Academy.

“They’ve presented as extremely determined, competitive and humble during our ‘1st team’ sessions this season and have earnt respect amongst the team as a result.

“Their promotion, along with Kyle [Godwin], Kieran [Longbottom], Dane [Haylett-Petty] and Zack [Holmes] into the Force squad is a tremendous testament to the work Dwayne Nestor has done with our Academy.

“Luke is a tough and skilful inside back, who performed well for the Australian Under 20’s in France earlier this year and I’m extremely pleased that he turned down offers from other states to stay and play for us.

“Importantly for a ‘9’, Ryan has a very strong pass and is developing good game sense. His contributions during Cottesloe’s grand final run, for Force ‘A’, and during our pre-season trials have all been of a high quality. He is uniquely placed over the next two seasons to benefit from Alby’s [Mathewson] and Ian’s [Prior] experiences at international and Super Rugby levels.”

Perth-born Luke Burton represented Western Australia at Under 15, Under 16 and Schoolboy level before earning selection with the Australia Under 20 squad at this year’s IRB Junior World Championship in France. The 19-year-old played all five matches, crossing for two tries during the side’s seventh-place finish at the tournament.

Burton, a Hale College graduate, says playing for the Emirates Western Force has been his ambition since joining RugbyWA’s Bankwest Academy five years ago.

“I’m really proud to be born and raised in WA and to have the opportunity to play for my state,” he said. “I’m excited about continuing my development on home soil and, as someone who’s aspired to play for the Force, I’m really grateful for the opportunity the club has given me.

“When you’re in the younger ages in the Academy, you always look up to the Force players and want to be there one day which gave me the motivation to work hard and reach my goal.

“Now I’m in the squad, my next goal is to play Super Rugby.

“Joining the Force in the 2013 pre-season in the wider training squad really helped in my Australian Under 20’s preparation and it was an enjoyable and challenging experience.

“I’m looking forward to working with some great players like Kyle Godwin, who I played against at school, and Sias Ebersohn to see how I can develop my game.”

Scrumhalf Ryan Louwrens was born in South Africa and joined the Bankwest Academy on moving to Perth in 2008.

The former Churchlands High School student returned to South Africa in 2009 to finish his schooling where he represented Valke during the prestigious Craven Week schoolboys tournament and the Under 19 Currie Cup.

He re-joined the Bankwest Academy in 2011 before representing Force ‘A’ across 2012 and 2013.

Louwrens, who will start for Cottesloe in their Pindan Premier Grade grand final against Nedlands on Sunday, says he’s looking forward to continuing his development with the Emirates Western Force.

“I’m very excited about the opportunity to experience Super Rugby with the Force,” he said.

“It’s been great training with the team this year. They worked hard to build a foundation in 2013 and it’s exciting to be a part of the next step and have the opportunity to learn from the older guys in the squad.”

Name: Luke Burton
Born: 17/02/1994, Perth
Position: Flyhalf/Inside Centre
Height: 180cm
Weight: 90kg
Super Rugby caps: 0
Super Rugby points: 0
Representative Rugby: 2013 Australian Under 20s, 2010-2011 WA Schoolboys

Name: Ryan Louwrens
Born: 12/03/1991, Johannesburg (South Africa)
Position: Scrumhalf
Height: 179cm
Weight: 93kg
Super Rugby caps: 0
Super Rugby points: 0
Representative Rugby: 2009 Valke (Craven Week & Currie Cup Under 19)
http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/905/ArticleID/10120/Default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.