• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
You've sold me ForceFan. Hodgo for Wallabies captain.

One step at a time..........I consider that Hodgson has earned some game time for the Wallabies.

However....IF Hooper gets injured (AND I HOPE THAT HE DOESN'T) Hodgson at 7 and Captain isn't a bad option.

I've always thought that the Wallabies Captain should come from the Captain of one of the Aussie Super XV teams just because of experience.

Test Match rugby isn't the place to try-out a new Captain.
Performing well as Acting Captain isn't the same as doing the job day-in, day-out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've always thought that the Wallabies Captain should come from the Captain of one of the Aussie Super XV teams just because of experience.

Test Match rugby isn't the place to try-out a new Captain.
Performing well as Acting Captain isn't the same as doing the job day-in, day-out.

Prior to Dave Dennis getting injured there wasn't a single Aussie Super Rugby captain in the starting XV.

I get what you're saying, but most schools of thought would suggest picking your best team and then picking a captain, particularly when there is no real incumbent.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hodgson will find himself out of the squad as soon as Gill is back from the CW games.

Gill, due to injury, played for less than half the season in 2014 and wasn't even a run-on selection in the last round Reds vs Waratahs (played half the game).

Again, stats confirm that he was out-performed by most SXV 7s in 2014.

He needs a good showing in the CW Games to even be asked to join the squad.
And then probably only if either Hooper or Hodgson is injured.

I'd like to see him return to form and be in the squad as he's such a good, versatile player and there is always a high attrition rate of No 7s in Test Rugby. (As Wallabies found in 2011 RWC in NZ - esp when we were missing a No 7 against Ireland).

And also against the likely strength of the All Blacks at 6 & 7.
The Sth Africans appear to be struggling at 7 with Kriel (Lions) the form player - who like Hooper runs the ball well.

Interesting that the Crusaders have selected both Todd (7) and McCaw (6) for the game against the Sharks.

T

tranquility

McCaw is a 6 these days.

Gill is a superstar, he will walk back into the Wallabies squad when he is fully-fit with a Gold medal around his neck.

M

Moono75

McCaw is a 6 these days.

Gill is a superstar, he will walk back into the Wallabies squad when he is fully-fit with a Gold medal around his neck.

Of course the NZ team will just roll over for that gold medal!

I will point out that every team needs an experienced hard nut to steady things, particularly going into a World Cup.....Hodgo is Clint Eastwood Heartbreak Ridge.....we don't need a clusterfuck, keep Hodgo in the Wallabies squad.....booo yaaah.

T

tranquility

Of course the NZ team will just roll over for that gold medal!

I will point out that every team needs an experienced hard nut to steady things, particularly going into a World Cup...Hodgo is Clint Eastwood Heartbreak Ridge...we don't need a clusterfuck, keep Hodgo in the Wallabies squad...booo yaaah.

Don't get me wrong, I bloody rate Hodgo - and I agree, old hard heads are just what we need heading into a WC. Good problems!

M

Moono75

Don't get me wrong, I bloody rate Hodgo - and I agree, old hard heads are just what we need heading into a WC. Good problems!

I agree. Good to have an abundance of talent to pick from. Just want to see the Wallabies get back to an era of dominance on the World stage. Not just win....dominate.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pleasing too see that it's not just me and SuperSports......

Matthew Burke in today's SMH in his article of "A Dozen of the Best: Super Rugby's Star Players"...

Matt Hodgson.
If there was ever a player who represented what it means to play with heart, he is the one. Brilliant for the Force this year and the catalyst for the team having its best season yet. So strong on the ball, and effective in so many turnovers per game. A genuine leader.

M

Moono75

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Especially since he started the season so late. His first game was the Rnd 9 match vs the Waratahs I think.

But that's pretty fair. I don't remember DHP playing a bad game all season and he has a habit of having some really good involvements- not sprinting 80 metres down the sideline to score a try- but tackling well, being strong in contact and making some good decisions that either take the pressure off or put us on the front foot. A meat and potatoes winger. I didn't see him kick much this season but he used to have a reputation for having a very, very long kick. I wonder if that will come out if he goes back to 15.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Especially since he started the season so late. His first game was the Rnd 9 match vs the Waratahs I think.

But that's pretty fair. I don't remember DHP playing a bad game all season and he has a habit of having some really good involvements- not sprinting 80 metres down the sideline to score a try- but tackling well, being strong in contact and making some good decisions that either take the pressure off or put us on the front foot. A meat and potatoes winger. I didn't see him kick much this season but he used to have a reputation for having a very, very long kick. I wonder if that will come out if he goes back to 15.
Be took all the kicks for touch when he was on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.