• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
If you are a Force fan and are up to come on the podcast tonight (8pm Brisbane time for about 30 mins) can you let me know? We want to cover the win appropriately and would love a fan to do so.
Sorry mate just finished work prob to late now I guess

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
@ farva

Front row is ok, not great, though faulkner is not a THP. Van Wyk looked ok in the time he has had and foley would probably want him to stay on and continue to improve. ditto hoskins.

Foley favoured Wykes over Steenkamp and I dont see a great deal of difference between the two, I actually think he is a better jumper in the lineout. I think mafi should be played at 6 and have coleman and steenkamp as the starting locks. Rory should be moved on and the force should look to sign a developing lock that can hang around for a while, like a botha or kleyn at the stormers or De Jager at the Cheetahs.

Don't think there is room for Stander as much as like his work ethic when he is on the field.

The force should probably try to resign prior as it is unlikely that mathewson will be allowed to stay past 2016 and then bring louwrens up to a full contact when mathewson goes.

10 is the bogey position, Holmes would have thought he would get more game time than he has and he may try his luck overseas. Not sure who else that is quality would want to come to Perth. West from the Blues?

The Force need a 13 (which godwin is not) someone like Vorster, brache can play across the backline, Rasolea was good last year but have hardly seen him, would have to think he would be the one making way.

The outside backs look like a real problem, could potentially see dellit, Cummins, Yamada gone as well as Scott and Nikoro, who have just not been able to break into the run on side. that leaves Morahan whose performances have been questionable in any event and DHP as the sole solid performer. A cleanout is required.

All seems like wishful thinking giving the nature of the franchise and who they could realistically attract but the brains trust need to be pouring over the player zodiac if they want to improve next season.

M

Moono75

Louwrens is good to go now. No waiting till after 2016. Scott should of been getting more game time. Bench selections have been wrong not having him.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
After last year I gave him the benefit of the doubt... but this year has been so poor... and no attempt to try new things or players despite the season disappearing long ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
First time post in this thread, after the Reds game I was so infuriated with how docile the Force attack was. The attack all boils down to the fact that Ebersohn is a toadstool that can kick, an now he can't even do that. The 10 has to configure the attack. Brache is as useful as the pecker on the pope and Morahan just hasn't got what it takes. These problems are not helped by the poor form of Godwin and Cummins. The forward pack is very solid, hence the rucking presence but I don't rate Cowan or Faulkner as first choice front rowers. the Force need to pillage the NRC for backs with potential. The reds have the opposite problem, star backline and a lazy forward pack with no ruck presence (bar Gill) and poor defense

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion we all have it wrong. I've long thought like most that the problem is with our backs, but it's not. Our forwards contribute nothing in attack. The best teams have the forwards contributing as much if not more in offence. And pick and drives and hit ups won't cut it anymore. They need to find space, link and break the line. Think kiwi teams, Hooper etc.

None of our forwards have this ability and it makes the backs jobs so much harder. Not that the backs are great, but they're not getting much help.

The game has moved past what Foley will coach out of his forward pack. And if the forward pack isn't contributing from a Foley coached side, he's pretty much superfluous to the operation.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion we all have it wrong. I've long thought like most that the problem is with our backs, but it's not. Our forwards contribute nothing in attack. The best teams have the forwards contributing as much if not more in offence. And pick and drives and hit ups won't cut it anymore. They need to find space, link and break the line. Think kiwi teams, Hooper etc.

None of our forwards have this ability and it makes the backs jobs so much harder. Not that the backs are great, but they're not getting much help.

The game has moved past what Foley will coach out of his forward pack. And if the forward pack isn't contributing from a Foley coached side, he's pretty much superfluous to the operation.

I pretty much agree with this, but I do think both Mafi and Cottrell give you some go forward in attack. Trouble with Mafi is that when he makes a break, none of the other tight forwards can stay within 10m so it often results in a turnover. Definitely the Force needs a different game plan to take advantage of the couple of go forward pigs you have.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)

To an extent you're right, Charger, about the forwards needing to be more skillful in general play, but the backline is just as culpable for the lacklustre attack. Leaving it all down to the pack to get over the advantage line is going to take its toll.

Clearly the Force are not the most skillful backline in the comp judging by their maddening ability to turnover the ball whenever they are in the opp 22. The backs seem to only train their kick-chase and disregard the basics: drawing the man, catching and passing et al.

If Foley is going to persist with this one-dimensional gameplan, then he needs to select some big backs because what they have in elusiveness, they lack in penetration.

You can't help but look on with envy at the second/third/fourth choice backs in the NZ conference for example: Li at the Blues, Tamanivalu at the Chiefs, Lee Lo and Halaholo at the Canes. Where are our big bullocking types?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I pretty much agree with this, but I do think both Mafi and Cottrell give you some go forward in attack. Trouble with Mafi is that when he makes a break, none of the other tight forwards can stay within 10m so it often results in a turnover. Definitely the Force needs a different game plan to take advantage of the couple of go forward pigs you have.
Cottrell is our 'Lydiate' in the backrow, as McCalman is the 'Faletau' (to use a Wales analogy). The former is more prominent in defence if anything, but I concur with you on Mafi.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I agree to an extent on the proposition that we have some problems in the pigs. It has indeed been quite noticeable that when Big Steve makes one of those trademark busts in close to the ruck that we don't have enough trailing runners to keep the ball alive. He's done it enough times across the season that it's clearly not a fluke. We just need some guys running off his shoulder to take the offload. If we'd done that a few times this season we'd be looking a lot better.

The backs are an issue though and it starts at 10. We kick too much, don't pass enough and don't create enough doubt in the minds of the defenders. Part of the reason for this is the fact that we've had Godwin playing out of position for most games. He's played all his best footy at 12 and doesn't have nearly the influence at outside centre. We mainly need a 10 who can ignite a backline (a la Foley or QC (Quade Cooper)) but they aren't in ready supply. I'd settle for a guy who plays flat to the gain line and can hit hole runners coming onto the ball at pace. We're also missing a sledgehammer at 13 who sucks in defenders and can offload in contact, as well as an outside back who can step and hit the afterburners. Morahan isn't it, unfortunately. DHP has had a fine season but doesn't have enough mates out there.

More to the point though, we're not sure what style of footy we want to play, it seems to me. As Bairdy said above, if we going to play a purely power based game, then we need a pair of battering ram centres and some swift wings to chase the kicks. Not great footy to watch but potentially more effective than what is being dished up at the moment.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
whoops, a late charge up the table by wooden-spoon wielding Force almsot wrestles 14th place from the Auckland Blues. Pipped by a point.

You know what to do avatar-wise until February fellas
woodenspoon_zpsn9mst9hy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.