• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

The writing is/will be on the wall for Foley next year and the departure of Sias despite just signing a 2 year contract extension shows the Force realise something different is required. The big problem is attracting some quality talent that aren't on the downward slide or an absolute unknown quantity. It doesn't help that the ARU give us sweet FA in assistance.

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
That is incredibly depressing.
Sorry guys I've stopped watching Force games because of Foley's pressure game. Well done beating the Tahs this year but WA deserves better than those kind of tactics.

I think the style of play is something that needs to be addressed as much as for the success of the team itself as for the game in WA. Look at the interest the Mungo ball game attracted. Crowds in WA (probably like elsewhere) want to see the ball in hand and attacking rugby. If they want to see the ball kicked away all game there is already a football code for that and it's pretty popular. Rugby should differentiate itself just a little.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Force are shaping up to have quite the back line, I would rather they sign up a young flyhalf however and develop him over the next few years rather than just signing journeymen as stop gaps.

Was lance signed as a ten or 12? Also is guy Miller signed for next season as well?

T

TOCC

Where do Godwin, Grant, Lance and Tapuai fit in a backline though?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Where do Godwin, Grant, Lance and Tapuai fit in a backline though?

I wondered that. I always thought Tapuai is a better 12 than he is a 13. Same with Godwin. Maybe they are thinking that with a better 10/12, Godwin will perform better at 13? Who knows. Either that or play Tapuai at 13 and hope he does better there than he has in the past.

As for Lance and Grant, how is Lance as a goal kicker? I kind of get the feeling that Grant would squeak Lance partly for the goal kicking and partly because Lance can cover 10/12/15 from the bench.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyone know anything about Hunga Kaufusi? he is pictured below with the players at a clinic on rotto over the weekend.
image.jpg

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
It would have to be:

10. Lance
11. ???
12.Godwin
13. Taps
14. Morahan
15. DHP

The wings are the biggest question mark for me. Would you play Jnr at blindside wing? or is it time to blood Lacey? Also the force could do a lot worse than having Grant come on to close out games for them.

Can anyone tell me how Nikora is playing in for Wests? Could he be a contender for next year?

T

TOCC

Pretty sure he is heading back to Japan in November...

That been said, the 2015-2016 Top League season has now been shortened to ensure that it finishes before the Super Rugby season, so he could return to Australia for the 2016 Super Rugby season... but gee i reckon he will need an offseason by that point..

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
This thread needs a bit of reviving.

Looking at some of the transfers from other super clubs we are pretty settled going into next year. Currently the main targets would be another good prop, a lock or two and some outside backs.

Still unsure of the situation with Steenkamp.

Be interesting to see wgat the NRC unearths.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
If Steenkamp leaves I reckon Force should have a good look at ben matwijow in shute shield to replace wykes as 5/6 option. Break the bank to bring longbottom back

M

Moono75

Force to sign former Springbok Grant

Nick Taylor July 29, 2015, 7:42 am
Western Force are expected to sign former South African fly-half Peter Grant for the next two Super Rugby seasons this week.
The playmaker, who has scored almost 1600 points in 200 games for the Stormers, Western Province, Kobe Steel and La Rochelle will bring much-needed experience to the Force back line.
He scored 866 of those points, mostly with his pinpoint kicking, in 104 Super Rugby matches for the Cape Town-based Stormers. Grant, 30, won the first of his five Springbok caps at 23 and was tipped to make the No.10 jumper his own in 2007 and 2008 until he was hampered by a shoulder injury.
He will join two other new signings — seven-Test Wallabies centre Ben Tapuai from the Reds and Jono Lance from the Waratahs - as coach Michael Foley looks to build a new attacking back line and adds to the talent of players like Kyle Godwin and Dane Haylett-Petty.
Grant, whose parents and other relatives live in Perth, left La Rochelle left last month for family reasons with a year left to run on his contract. The Force first tried to sign him as a replacement for Matt Giteau six years ago.
He replaces another South African, Sias Ebersohn, who was released to return to the Bloemfontein-based Cheetahs while Grant has been replaced at La Rochelle by another Force fly-half, Zack Holmes.
Grant will sign as a marquee player and the Force are expected to resolve the contract issues of South African second-rower Wilhelm Steenkamp, who wants to move to French club Brive.
His leaving would mean Foley needs to recruit at least one new second-rower, having already lost Sam Wykes to Japanese club Coca-Cola Red Sparks.
Announcements on other players, including hooker Heath Tessman, winger Luke Morahan, scrum-half Ian Prior, flanker Brynard Stander and centre Marcel Brache are expected next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.