• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting to see Brad Lacey turn up in the Brisbane City squad for the NRC. Happy as a Brisbane fan, but disappointed from the WA perspective.

Whats the rundown on him. He did well last NRC I thought. Never really got a chance from a Force perspective did he?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Locals say his attitude sucks. Don't know myself, but you are right it is a shame. Maybe the new coach will pick him up? We lost Corey Thomas in the same way. Terrible waste.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Locals say his attitude sucks. Don't know myself, but you are right it is a shame. Maybe the new coach will pick him up? We lost Corey Thomas in the same way. Terrible waste.

I think sometimes the lower-tier contracted players for the Force/Brumbies/Rebels get shitty because they end of playing club footy each week where the standard is pretty variable.

There's a huge different between the top half and bottom half of these local leads and they end up playing plenty of football against blokes who'd play 3rds in Sydney/Brisbane.

They'd rather play in the big cities where they can expect a good game.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's certainly true. That is where I hope the NRC would take up some slack. I don't feel like Lacey ever really got the chance to prove himself- even in the NRC.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That's certainly true. That is where I hope the NRC would take up some slack. I don't feel like Lacey ever really got the chance to prove himself- even in the NRC.

good point. Perhaps there was some frustration with how the NRC was run over there and the seemingly constant rotation of players. Made it difficult for anyone to build a case for higher honours.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Payto & Panda: Western Force target Wests Tigers rising star Chance Peni

6f56c124120002213a4eea75880a36d5

IAIN PAYTEN and JAMIE PANDARAM, The Daily Telegraph
August 25, 2016 6:00pm
6f56c124120002213a4eea75880a36d5

IT’S not David Mead the Western Force are after, but rising young league star Chance Peni from the Wests Tigers.
There were definitely conversations between the Force and Mead’s camp, but the club has decided not to make the Gold Coast Titans winger an offer.
Instead, they have turned their attention to 22-year-old Peni, who has yet to make his NRL debut but is tipped to have a bright future having already played for Junior Kiwis and Cook Islands.
At 190cm and 97kg, Peni is seen as an ideal outside back candidate by the Force, who have already signed Bulldogs NRL star Curtis Rona for 2017-18.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...i/news-story/6f56c124120002213a4eea75880a36d5

T

TOCC

Hmm..

Chance Peni was in the Western Force setup many years ago, represented WA Schoolboys at the 2010 national championship and he played off the bench for 'Western Force A' against Melbourne Rising in 2011.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If ever we needed to remain at the forefront of support for the Force and Rugby in WA in the current climate...NOW is the time. Amid all the pain we don't want to lose our team. Get on board!

I still don't think axing the Force is likely. Remember the article was written by the same journo who started the whole 'move the Force to Western Sydney' rubbish. What is needed isn't so much a contraction of teams but a reorganisation of our game and its professional arm.

We need a more centralised structure. One that allows for greater collaboration in developing best practice standards both on and off the field. Removes duplication which should lessen the financial strain and even allow for savings that could be either reinvested in the community game. Used ofr talent retention or even both.

Status
Not open for further replies.