• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
After looking over London Irish's fortunes under Brian Smith (notably his first stint before his appointment as England attack coach), I'm starting to warm to the idea of him taking the reigns.

Like McKenzie, and to some extent Cheika, he's served his apprenticeship overseas and has undertaken a variety of coaching jobs. More importantly, he has had his fair share of misteps/failings that he has no doubt learnt from.

Just need Todd Louden/Scott Wisemantel for attack, Matt Taylor for defence and a forwards coach of some respute. A man can dream.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Think he just lets his aggression get the better of him. IMO he's the best back rower in the Force and if he can control his niggle he'll be worthy of higher honours.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Went to the members meeting last night. Force CEO Mark Sinderberry had the floor. A couple of things from the meeting;

Interviews will start next week with a decision and an offer to the successful candidate made late August early September with the new Head Coach expected to be relocated to Perth by October. The names of the candidates are confidential out of respect to the applicants. Mark did talk about the career pathways set-up for coaches in NZ and did indicate that the ARU would like to introduce a similar model here. When asked if our new coach would be an Aussie he said 'not necessarily' but I'm guessing it probably will be.
He said recruitment of players is still actively going ahead and that there should be announcements of a couple of significant signings in the next few days. On recruitment he said that the preference will be to develop our own players from the school system through the Future Force program with the goal of having about 60% local content in the squad in years to come. He said this is preferable to bringing in players from overseas considering costs involved, the quality of players available etc.
We still have a number of spots to fill. He said the Force are looking to develop Ross H-P as a no.6 rather than a lock. He said the ARU will help identify young players with potential around Aust. who are not offered a spot with their local team and encourage them to head west if the circumstances arise.
I think the ARU involvement with recruitment and support for whichever coach is appointed will be a positive thing. There were other points made but this was the gist of it.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the Force investing in local development is a very good thing, not just for them but for Australian rugby as a whole. The Future Force arrangement seems like a good program but having watched the interview with Richard Hardwick, a Namibian born FF (Folau Fainga'a) member, his family moved to Perth of their own accord and he didn't know that rugby existed in Oz, so was playing AFL until a friend invited him to a local rugby club. There's an example of someone who could have been lost to the game - how many others are like that?

Perhaps Rugby WA/Force need to put more focus on expanding the awareness of the game itself - a bit like the ARU did for Women's 7s in terms of running 'come and try' sessions to get young athletes and kids to have a greater awareness that the game exists and so those that it might suit more than say AFL can find out about it and get involved.

They could set up some form of training sessions and have a few examples of different shapes and sizes there (i.e. front rower, halfback, lock) so that participants could see someone that they can relate to and give every participant a DVD with some highlights of games and explaining different parts of the game, how it works etc.

Then try to get them aligned to local clubs to continue their involvement and get the clubs to buy into it by having newbie development squads so that a brand newcomer to the game isn't thrown into an established team.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Western Force has signed Canterbury Bulldogs NRL winger Curtis Rona on a two year deal.

Anyone know much about him? i get that he is a WA local who used to be part of the Force Academy, so good to get someone back, but it seems he hasn't played RU since 2009/10 - I wonder how long the transition back will take?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
He's an athlete who can sniff out a try, and an above average NRL starter.

He also genuinely wants to be in rugby in Perth and won't turncoat it or use it as a quick pathway to Japan, France, or the East Coast.

A good signing.

Good to hear, that has to be good for the Force next year and if Jono Lance can stay uninjured then they could have some positive prospects. I'd really like to see them do well (except when they come up against the Reds of course) and rugby in WA develop and grow further.

Any news on the coaching role?

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
9. Louwrens
10. Lance
11. Rona
12. Godwin
13. Meakes/Tapuai
14. Morohan
15. Haylett-Petty

Thats a pretty good looking backline i reckon. I guess it all depends on how long it takes Rona to transition, whether Meakes will be as good as he was in england, and who the coaches are. If the force struggle in attack next year its not gonna be because of a lack of talent.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is godwin definitely leaving?

I don't think anyone knows, but I think his best decision for himself is moving elsewhere.

The Wallabies are clearly looking for a Gitts foil, and I don't think Lelo or To'omua will be that man for different reasons. Hodge and Goodwin might be, but if we were a betting man you'd say it's more difficult to do that our of Perth than Melbourne at this stage (sorry guys).

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't think anyone knows, but I think his best decision for himself is moving elsewhere.

The Wallabies are clearly looking for a Gitts foil, and I don't think Lelo or To'omua will be that man for different reasons. Hodge and Goodwin might be, but if we were a betting man you'd say it's more difficult to do that our of Perth than Melbourne at this stage (sorry guys).
Normally i would agree but with a good coaching setup i think that potential backline would work well with godwin. Maybe hes waiting for the coaching announcement before he commits? Surely with Lealiifano out for the forseeable future the brumbies must be pushing harder to sign him.

T

TOCC

$300k per season is apparently what Rona was signed for..

Obviously talented player, not sure if the Force are recruiting in the right positions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.