• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Slim it's probably a reference to the success of the U20 and below teams from these states, and as a result, the Aus U20s and Schoolboys representation compared to ACT.

There were only 4 ACT players in the Aus 20s and 1 was a WA product and 3 Aus Schoolboys.

In both case Victoria certainly seems to have a greater representation.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, I'm not sure if there's been a dip in numbers from the ACT at those junior levels, but there's certainly been an increase from Vic and WA since their Super franchises were started up and that should certainly be commended.........

However, I'm not sure if that's what can be taken from this:

sorry, force and rebels produce talent..For such a long standing in superrugby, the brumbies are wonderful at not producing.

It's hard to take such a claim seriously, which is why I instantly fobbed it off as trolling.........

If it's in reference to more recent times then the rise in local representation from within the Brumbies and UC Vikings squads would further refute that claim.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
True, and I would love to see upthereds backup his ridiculous comments.....

No need to be rude champ. This is a WF thread, and my comments are in relation to the threat of the force being the team axed. Force in recent times at a development level are evidently on the up and showing promise using local born and bred players, and some of these players are now representing strongly at a higher level. RHP, DHP, Rona, plus the strong SA connection, then even the brumbies have to grab 2 WA playmakers in jooste and godwin.

I think of the brumbies, how long they have been a professional outfit, but still so heavily rely on players developed outside of their province. I'm not an expert of ACT regional rugby, but at the top of my head their backline was dominated by those not act. Obviously they have local players involved of course, but these comments are regarding which team potentially discontinuing in Super Rugby would best serve the future of australian rugby.

Victoria and WA rugby is on the rise as evident in their slowly but surely ever increasing representation in junior ranks, while act is falling. If the force are canned, i would suggest that regions development would be severely damaged and that pathway closed, same with the rebels. However if the brumbies were canned, as big a deal as that would be, I think it would have the least impact on the future of the game in regards to a national footprint and exposure to developing players from those regions.

force has potential, brumbies have hit their ceiling in a capped market and will not grow, and I can't think of any way in which they can grow considering the time they have already had to consolidate/build upon their position.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well I may be mistaken re Mason. That's very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe go and take a look at the Force and Rebels squads....

No kidding....

still being a dickhead mate, no need for it.

1) force and rebels havn't been established as long as the rebels but they key word is potential, the brumbies have no more.

2) having a low population and therefore a lower market cap is a mark AGAINST the brumbies, not for.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ACT catchment area has more than that I think - even if that is literally the population of the ACT.

Yes, they look after Southern Inland NSW rugby.

For the sake of this argument though, no one is going to give the Brumbies/Canberra credit if a professional player born in Wagga Wagga or Young emerges onto the scene unless they get their via moving to Canberra and playing JID Cup and Brumbies academy etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.