• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NTT

PERTH SPIRIT (5) V BRISBANE CITY (7)

Sunday 2 October, 2:00pm (AWST) at UWA Sports Park
The Wallaby v the new signing
If there’s one forward who’s taking the NRC by storm it’s 21-year-old Isi Naisarani. The huge no. 8 has recently signed a deal with the Western Force for next year and will come up against incumbent Force no.8 Ben McCalman this weekend. Wallaby-capped McCalman is still on the comeback trail from injury and will no doubt want to stamp his authority over the young gun at UWA Sports Park.

Naisarani confirmed.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/09/30/06/27/nrc-round-six-key-match-ups

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To answer WaterboyRugbys question (as best i can without the specific detail privvy to those involved), the Forces recruitment strategy works something like this:
1: Local talent - Guys playing in WA premier grade and the guys in the Future Force academy.
2: Interstate - Guys playing over east in NSW, Qld, Melbourne, ACT.
3: International and other codes - Guys playing overseas and NRL etc.

The recruitment strategy has shifted from the early days where we would rely on interstate talent. Now that the Force has finally been able to set up a dedicated academy in the Future Force it allows them to identify talent coming through the ranks and entice them with a contracted position to train alongside the main squad while also filtering players into local Premier Grade rugby to continue to strengthen the WA competition. This is where guys like Kane Koteka, Richard Hardwick, Harry Scoble, Onehunga Havili and Shambeckler Vui have been able to make their mark. The Force are trying to do everything within their financial constraints to strengthen the local WA Premier grade competition and its junior competition to be the main feeder into the Force. It has taken a few years to do because we were forced into building the franchise top down instead of bottom up but we are seein WA bred and coached players making a mark in Aussie rugby. We still have a network of scouts looking far and wide, as do the other franchises, as evidenced by the South African boys in the Future Force and the recent signing of a young guy from Qlds central coast in Liam Fletcher straight out of school.
A lot of our early recruiting of the fringe and up and coming Qld talent, Pocock and O'Connor, was driven mainly by John Mulvihill who had a fairly extensive knowledge of the Qld landscape at the time. And not to dredge it up again but the signing of Giteau, Mitchell and Ryan Cross was influenced by a dodgy former sponsor.
I think given financial constraints wa rugby doing ok in terms of moving forward. Need some help to kick it to next level - wa rich inc looking to buy force as play thing would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think given financial constraints wa rugby doing ok in terms of moving forward. Need some help to kick it to next level - wa rich inc looking to buy force as play thing would be good.

Sad the dodgey former sponsor was just that btw as this was where force struggled to recover from

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So what's the first choice Force backline looking like next year if everyone is fit? Something like Prior, Lance, Rona, Tapaui, Meakes, Morahan, DHP?

That's not too shabby, if the injury goods are kind.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
The starting side definitely wasn't the force's major problem this year, it was that every single close match they could keep right in touch with the opposition. Then, at 50 minutes and onwards substitutions for both teams came on and the Force would concede 3-4 tries in rapid succession. The run on side is decent but the WF depth is garbage, it's a hard thing to fix since the local comps don't pump out competitive cover

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair point - although I do think the backline listed above is several rungs better than this years regular starting backline (considering Lance missed a fair chunk of the season).

But that doesn't diminish the point you make about squad depth.

Plus, at the moment we are hoping the change to the coaching structure will translate to a different, more successful style - but that does remain to be seen.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm thinking the loss of Steve Mafi will be a huge blow, hopefully Isi Oldmate will discover his potential.

The forward pack is coming along, Coleman and Haylett petty should be a good pairing, McCalman, Cottrell and Hardwick are decent back row options.

Interested to see who else the Force picks up from the NRC. Is Asquith without a contract? Apo Latinpulu is looking pretty good for the Rams as well. What's the word on The Badge? all I see of him now is Great Northern Brewing ads...

N

NTT

I'm thinking the loss of Steve Mafi will be a huge blow, hopefully Isi Oldmate will discover his potential.

The forward pack is coming along, Coleman and Haylett petty should be a good pairing, McCalman, Cottrell and Hardwick are decent back row options.

Interested to see who else the Force picks up from the NRC. Is Asquith without a contract? Apo Latinpulu is looking pretty good for the Rams as well. What's the word on The Badge? all I see of him now is Great Northern Brewing ads.

Although a good player, we wont miss Steve Mafi. Was just here for the money and never was the hardest worker. Would love to see Latunipulu snapped up by the Force as after Meakes and Taps we are looking at Luke Burton and Brache as centre cover, we could use a bit more depth there. I agree Lalohea deserves a crack at the next level, just where is the question. Weve got Faulkner (who i think needs a career year next year) Ainsley and Vui. If Faulkner doesnt regain some of his bezt form then i would SOS Lalohea.
Asquith is signed to the Rebels isn't he? Wouldn't mind us looking to snap up Jayden Ngamanu, former Perth boy was very good in his staring debut for Brisbane City yesterday and former Aussie touch rep. Vasukicakau has stepped up nicely from the Perth comp to NRC this year, another option maybe. We are also waiting on a few re- signings at hooker, flanker and lock. (Scoble, Tessman, Rangi, Philip, Hodgson, Hardwick, Koteka)

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Filimone Tufui has been performing well for the WS rams, could be a look for extended squad if they keep their eyes open. they'll probably end up signing some jarpie mushroom like Marco Kotze...

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Also so-one answered my question: what is happening to the badge? has he given up to be a Great Northern representative?? never hear of him playing these days

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
perhaps people just don't know the answer.

In saying that I saw him post on instagram footage of him training in Aussie kit, which I assume means he's training with the 7s lads.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Filimone Tufui has been performing well for the WS rams, could be a look for extended squad if they keep their eyes open. they'll probably end up signing some jarpie mushroom like Marco Kotze.

Yeah, I like him and he's one of the few unsigned locks running around that has the right body shape.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
perhaps people just don't know the answer.

In saying that I saw him post on instagram footage of him training in Aussie kit, which I assume means he's training with the 7s lads.

Nah, Henry Speight was in that video so it was clearly a throwback as we know he's in London with the Wobs

Status
Not open for further replies.