• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting parts from it:

Foxsports.com.au: Where are you at with completing your playing roster?

Wessels: We’ve probably got another one or two surprises in the pipeline that will come out in the next couple of days, hopefully.

But I’m very pleased with the way that the squad is shaping up.

I feel like we’ve got some nice depth there and certainly Naisarani and Curtis Rona will be great additions for us in particular.

Foxsports.com.au: What positions are you looking to fill?

Wessels: We’re looking for some outsidide backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What was a reminder from the interview was how when they had the big stars they had some really big crowds in early days (28,000).

That was back when they had that big money backer called Firepower or something (memory serves me badly on name). Then after that asx listed company went belly up as their tech was all smokes and mirrors so too did Force's direction....

What impressed with is Force created lot of home grown talent which as Wessel's stated 7 home grown players in last super rugby game they played.

I don't think the force have had an easy run or right support to be honest but ARU certainly in stepping in evident have provided right assistance recently. I still believe great potential for WA market for rugby - particularly given league does not have a presence in that market. Please don't lose that advantage.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
28K was pre-GFC. Things were pretty crazy in WA. Lots and lots of mining money. Lots and lots of Kiwis, South Africans and Brits. Still plenty but less. If the Force had a season or two like the Reds 2010-2012, I think you'd end up with over 20k again. That is why I think the Force is a better long term investment than the Brumbies (although I'd prefer no franchise ever faced the axe). I feel like we'd be better off if NZ diluted a bit to make more competitive games. People would say dilution equals less spectacle, but what about the NRC? Great to watch but a lower standard than Super Rugby.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm not a Perth local but I'd think it does have some potential benefits, if the force can get themselves in a more stable position beforehand. It may help increase the overall talent pool available and make it easier to bring young players West. Could also have a positive impact on facilities, with the stadium likely to be shared. That said in their current state it may hit them pretty hard.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Perth is way less of an attractive location now then it was when the Force started.

If league was making AFL money, I can see why they'd do it. For now, not so much.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Part of the reason Melbourne cost more was the lessons learnt from setting up the force and the desire to avoid gutting any of the existing sides as happened to the reds when the force started.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
More money was needed so players could be brought in from outside the competition so as not to weaken existing sides as happened with the forces establishment. That, and avoiding a firepower style cockup.

I'm not advocating the scrapping of the force or even saying the rebels setup was handled better, but it's not so simple as comparing the introduction of the two teams in straight cost terms, the circumstances of their introduction were quite different.

N

NTT

I have deleted my previous posts as they were in response to a discussion i misunderstood. My apologies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So I take it Charles and Sexton are long gone? Just leaving Tessman, the red head fella (name please) and Rangi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

NTT

Sexton is gone yes, spent this season plugging around in second grade. Charles will not be renewed due to injury concerns.

Rangi is confirmed, Tessman will probably get a spot and the ranga Scoble will be signed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sexton is gone yes, spent this season plugging around in second grade. Charles will not be renewed due to injury concerns.

Rangi is confirmed, Tessman will probably get a spot and the ranga Scoble will be signed.

He isn't getting rave reviews at Clermont

N

NTT

His last 3 seasons at the Force were all disrupted by major injuries. With the Cistic Fibrosis, there are concerns about how his body will hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.