• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The article from Robinson also assumes loans to qld and nsw were never recovered. Lots of shoddy journalism there.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The premise of the article is that the structure of Super Rugby is failing the Australian teams and in turn putting the ARU under huge financial pressure.

Surely that is all true and something everyone is complaining about.

I am not sure how anyone has taken this as an attack on the Force. There was no suggestion that the ARU shouldn't have helped out the franchises when they required it.

N

NTT

The premise of the article is that the structure of Super Rugby is failing the Australian teams and in turn putting the ARU under huge financial pressure.

I am not sure how anyone has taken this as an attack on the Force. There was no suggestion that the ARU shouldn't have helped out the franchises when they required it.

No suggestion they should not have helped the Force? Did you miss the whole paragraph about what the unproven and incorrect figure of $3 million could have done to help the Australian under 20s?

T

TOCC

There's certainly an underlying tone in the article taking aim at the Force, shoddy journalism.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No suggestion they should not have helped the Force? Did you miss the whole paragraph about what the unproven and incorrect figure of $3 million could have done to help the Australian under 20s?

I don't take that as the thrust of the article at all.

It is absolutely saying that if the money wasn't required to prop up the struggling Super Rugby franchises due to the massive problems with the competition then it could be spent on other areas of the game which are important such as the under 20s which is starved of funding.

I think you are wrong saying that she is suggesting that spending the money on the Force was the wrong decision and it should have instead been spent on the under 20s.

Again, the entire gist of the article is that the problems faced by the Super Rugby franchises and in turn the ARU because it has to keep them afloat is resulting in other areas of the game being starved of funding. She is not saying the ARU had a choice where they spent the money and made the wrong one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's certainly an underlying tone in the article taking aim at the Force, shoddy journalism.

I think that is entirely in the headline which the journo doesn't write. The headline absolutely takes aim at the Force but then that isn't reflected through the rest of the article.

About the only line actually mentioning the Force is "But head office spent at least $3 million bailing out the Western Force last year"

To me, the crux of the article is:

"The longer the Australian Rugby Union accepts a competition that makes less and less money for its Super Rugby clubs, the less money it has to grow the game anywhere else. "

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
N

NTT

If you can't understand that the purpose of the article is to sensationalize the unproven and incorrect figures quoted and who allegedly received them, the Force, then i cannot help you.
If you cannot understand the articles purpose is to stoke the fires of the anti ARU and anti Force brigade then i cannot help you.
If you cannot see a pattern of anti Force rhetoric by said journalist then i cannot help you.
Havea great day.

M

Moono75

Surely the thrust of the article is the problem with the Super Rugby format and that being the cause of the financial woes for the Australian Super Rugby teams and in turn the ARU for needing to bail them out.
Why highlight the Force in the headline then??

M

Moono75

Journos don't write their own headlines. That's what the editors/sub-editors do.
Regardless of who writes it. It's not a good headline. For an article that encompasses all 5 Super Rugby teams and the difficulties faced by Australian rugby within the current Super Rugby format, one team was singled out for SPECIAL attention in the headline. For anyone that's a casual rugby observer and might not read articles word for word, from that headline they would 100% go away with a negative perception of the Force.

As NTT has indicated there is an underlying campaign by some eastern states journos to sling enough mud in the Force's direction with the hope that eventually it will stick.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Regardless of who writes it. It's not a good headline. For an article that encompasses all 5 Super Rugby teams and the difficulties faced by Australian rugby within the current Super Rugby format, one team was singled out for SPECIAL attention in the headline. For anyone that's a casual rugby observer and might not read articles word for word, from that headline they would 100% go away with a negative perception of the Force.

As NTT has indicated there is an underlying campaign by some eastern states journos to sling enough mud in the Force's direction with the hope that eventually it will stick.

I agree. It falls squarely into the click-bait style headlines that Fairfax has slipped towards in recent years.

T

TOCC

Article also has flaws as well, not just the headline..
Why not highlight the difference between loans and intellectual property, some of those bailouts were repaid, and some of what she claims are 'bailouts' are the purchase of intellectual property.

Just like her article last week where she used 2017 Rd1 average crowds and ratings against the 2016 season average to argue that ratings were up but crowds were down, there's obvious flaws and variables which she failed to consider..it's not just clickbait headlines, it's clickbait journalism

Reactions: NTT

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
He was only ever in the training squad wasn't he? Or did he get promoted this year?

I haven't seen anything to suggest he's as good as his brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought I read that he had been promoted this year. He is also on the Players list on the Force website.
I also vaguely remember reading an article when the Brumbies first signed Rory, that his brother was just as good. May have been his coach in Queensland or where he played in Northern NSW. Anyways, as you say Reg, he must not be as good, as he never seems to get a look-in.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
"ARU spent $3m bailing out Western Force and less than $1m on the Australian u20s"

Yes, had a look at the article by Georgina Robinson and despite mentioning all Oz Super Rugby clubs had received monetary bailouts from the ARU in the body of the article, it is the Force emblazoned across and associated with the negativity of the headline. Maybe Georgina doesn't have editorial control over the headlines, but for fuck sake just provide a level and impartial playing field for us to compete on.

I see she has also tipped the Brumbies in the game Friday.

My knee jerk to this is post #301 on the Where to for Super Rugby thread.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Very likely but we still have the money!

That's good news, GaffaCHinnO. Obviously a different arrangement to the one between PM John Howard and the Reds, involving the Ballymoore stadium redevelopment. That evaporated with the election of Kevin 07!

Status
Not open for further replies.