• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Nah, he's more of a Daddies man
A1.png

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RHP been so disappointing since the u20s. He was one of our best there in what I think was one of our most talented squads in 2014.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
'I had almost resigned myself to the fact that I was looking at retirement'

Rob Kearney will continue his foray into TV work before heading to join the Western Force in Perth.

Sat, 14 Nov 2020 - The 42

“Very late on, mid-September, the Western Force came in and showed a little bit of interest. Initially, I thought that nothing was really going to happen from that but it accelerated quite quickly and when I stepped back from the whole thing, it was far too good an opportunity to turn down.

It’s only a six-month contract, my body still feels good, mentally I’m still good. To go and live in a place like Perth is very exciting.
It’s going to be difficult playing in Super Rugby, I’m very aware of the challenge that’s going to present, but what’s the worst that can go wrong? There’s no point in wondering about these things and in a year’s time, saying to myself, ‘I should have done that.'

It’s exciting, I’m not sure what is in store for me but there’s only one way to find out.”

"They (the WF) will hope to make a bigger impact in 2021 and Kearney has spoken to the club about “a big onus being on me to try and help develop some of the younger players that are in the squad."

"One of them will be 21-year-old scrum-half Michael McDonald, a fellow Cooley Peninsula native who moved to Perth with his family at the age of 13 and helped the Australia U20s into the World Championship final last year.
McDonald has re-joined the Force after spending 2020 with the Waratahs and Kearney is looking forward to working with the youngster.

“I know the family really well, they live about five minutes up the road. Cooley is not a big place! I think our dads played together for Dundalk and even from when I was going into Dundalk, I’d have known the whole family very well.
I would have spoken to Michael when he was moving over there and before his U20s World Cup, so there’s a little bit of connection there."

Read more.......

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From The West:

… Western Force owner Andrew Forrest has blasted reports that he is not committed to the long term future of the Super Rugby club … the mining magnate has revealed his ambition is to make the Force the strongest club in world rugby.

He hit back: “I am 100 per cent committed to the Western Force and securing the future of rugby union in Western Australia. Any suggestion to the contrary is complete and utter nonsense.

“We strongly suspect these rumours are being sown by the parties that sought to damage the Western Force in the past. It is this off-field disharmony that led to the disastrous near terminal funding decisions of the former board of Rugby Australia.

… “We have only just begun on this journey and I am committed to seeing it through for many years to come.

“Our commitment to grassroots rugby cannot be questioned. As recently as July, Nicola (his wife) and I announced another $5 million to create an elite pathways program in Western Australia. This is on top of the $2 million we had already committed to women’s and children’s rugby in WA.

“We want to build and support our passionate rugby community, the young players, the mums and dads, the schools, the clubs, the volunteers, and make Western Australia a true rugby heartland.”

… Forrest has said he would be prepared to look at investment in RA if changes are made to governance that would unlock the stranglehold of the NSW and Queensland unions.

RA said it has also had informal discussions with Forrest on private equity investment.

Read more: (paywalled)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jeez, informal discussions about private equity deal from Forrest.
This bloke is swimming in cash at the moment..

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
From The West:

… Western Force owner Andrew Forrest has blasted reports that he is not committed to the long term future of the Super Rugby club … the mining magnate has revealed his ambition is to make the Force the strongest club in world rugby.

He hit back: “I am 100 per cent committed to the Western Force and securing the future of rugby union in Western Australia. Any suggestion to the contrary is complete and utter nonsense.

“We strongly suspect these rumours are being sown by the parties that sought to damage the Western Force in the past. It is this off-field disharmony that led to the disastrous near terminal funding decisions of the former board of Rugby Australia.

… “We have only just begun on this journey and I am committed to seeing it through for many years to come.

“Our commitment to grassroots rugby cannot be questioned. As recently as July, Nicola (his wife) and I announced another $5 million to create an elite pathways program in Western Australia. This is on top of the $2 million we had already committed to women’s and children’s rugby in WA.

“We want to build and support our passionate rugby community, the young players, the mums and dads, the schools, the clubs, the volunteers, and make Western Australia a true rugby heartland.”

… Forrest has said he would be prepared to look at investment in RA if changes are made to governance that would unlock the stranglehold of the NSW and Queensland unions.

RA said it has also had informal discussions with Forrest on private equity investment.

Read more: (paywalled)
Find us a few more Twiggys in Australia and we’ll be sweet. Financial investment is one thing, but the passion and the unequivocal business IQ takes us to a whole new level.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
So western force finished recruiting for 2021.what does a starting xv look like.

Is that confirmed? Definitely finished recruiting?

1. Robertson
2. Montoya
3. Medrano (has he been confirmed?)
4. Thrush
5. Lee-Warner
6. Anstee
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. McIntyre
11. Ralston
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Pulu
15. Kearney

16. Kaitu'u/Ready
17. Wagner
18. Holmes/Longbottom
19. McCauley
20. Callan
21. McDonald/Prior
22. Lance/McGregor
23. Lacey

I'd heard rumours of a couple more Argentinians (Iglasias and Lezzana maybe?)

Extremely light on in the back row in particular and also at second row. Surely we can't be done recruting there?

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
WF hasn't finished recruiting - >10 more, including starting XV, still to come.

Seems way too much time between announcements.

I think you're right. Definitely a lot of gaps in the second row and back row. If they'd kept Stowers and Ferris then maybe we'd be ok but I'd be thinking at least two more second rows and two more back rows for starters.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
WF hasn't finished recruiting - >10 more, including starting XV, still to come.

Seems way too much time between announcements.
Another 10! Golly gosh at that rate wf will have a squad double the size of other oz super rugby sides..another 10 would mean they would probably be equal favourites with reds and brumbies to win super rugby au next year. Equal favourites as very strong reds and brumbies sides

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

1. Robertson
2. Montoya
4. Thrush
5. Lee-Warner
6. Anstee
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. McIntyre
11. Ralston
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Pulu
15. Kearney

16. Kaitu'u/Ready
17. Wagner
18. Holmes/Longbottom
19. McCauley
20. Callan
21. McDonald/Prior
22. Lance/McGregor
23. Lacey

Extremely light on in the back row in particular and also at second row. Surely we can't be done recruting there?

Looking at that 23 I reckon to have a shot at winning the competition they need to recruit a few more - according to FF (Folau Fainga'a) ten more to come..need a decent lock and locks in short supply...another quality backrower and another quality centre perhaps

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

1. Robertson
2. Montoya
4. Thrush
5. Lee-Warner
6. Anstee
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. McIntyre
11. Ralston
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Pulu
15. Kearney

16. Kaitu'u/Ready
17. Wagner
18. Holmes/Longbottom
19. McCauley
20. Callan
21. McDonald/Prior
22. Lance/McGregor
23. Lacey

Great recruiting and shaping up nicely. Maybe a name or two in the second and back row still to come?????????????

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Looking at that 23 I reckon to have a shot at winning the competition they need to recruit a few more - according to FF (Folau Fainga'a) ten more to come..need a decent lock and locks in short supply.another quality backrower and another quality centre perhaps

I know I'm dreaming here but I'd love to see one of either Coleman, Rodda, Arnold or Skelton come back. Then maybe another younger lock who's not getting a run elsewhere.

In the backrow I'd like to see us sign Lezzana (Argentinian who's been mentioned as imminent) someone like Cottrell or McMahon and maybe Ross Haylett Petty.

I think we're light on to think about winning the Aussie Super Rugby but if as you said we recruited ten more players and did it well then perhaps it could be a good season?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Another 10! Golly gosh at that rate wf will have a squad double the size of other oz super rugby sides..another 10 would mean they would probably be equal favourites with reds and brumbies to win super rugby au next year. Equal favourites as very strong reds and brumbies sides
Looking forward to seeing how McIntyre has developed. Good pick up.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

It's a bit hard to know at this stage.
The team summaries in this "Rugby Discussion" section are currently indicating the following numbers:
Brumbies - 34
Rebels - 29
Reds - 21 (+3 Devt squad)
Waratahs - 23
Western Force - 31
There's obviously more to come for most of the teams.