• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I understand that at least 6 more signings still to come.....
6 more signings should address the gaps and make for a strong squad.

Definitely could use a quality lock and would need to look outside of Australia given loss of so many quality locks overseas. Would be great if force could bring a quality lock playing overseas back home who could be in line for wallaby selection. More depth in centres and wing would also be good. And lastly in the backrow.

Depending on the final 6 selected will determine to me who out of force, reds and brumbies would be favourite to win super rugby au and finals candidates for trans tasman. Reds looking pretty strong for next year might add.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All squads are thin at lock.

Brumbies have lost Douglas
Rebels will miss Philip for the season
Reds are yet to replace Rodda
Tahs have lost Simmons and Hanigan

In addition to losing young up and comers like Hockings and Ha'angana.

Alex Ross (28)

Brumbies have lost Douglas
Rebels will miss Philip for the season
Reds are yet to replace Rodda
Tahs have lost Simmons and Hanigan

Tahs have lost more than that. In fact they have lost every single player from the squad who has ever played lock at Super Rugby level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Australian Rugby needs to get creative about developing locks, can’t rely on just the schoolboy system to produce them. Needs to expand the search for any slightly athletic 200cm 16-21 year old. Arnold brothers didn’t follow the traditional pathways, neither did the likes of Neville. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was also a rugby league junior up until he later years.

I think there’s some more potential in the rugby league ranks of players who are too tall for the NRL, but have the necessary physical attributes to make it in union. Melbourne Storm forward Nelson Asofoa-Solomona at 200cm is the exception, not the norm.

Less so in AFL as they appreciate the tall timber.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Australian Rugby needs to get creative about developing locks, can’t rely on just the schoolboy system to produce them. Needs to expand the search for any slightly athletic 200cm athletes. Arnold brothers didn’t follow the traditional pathways, neither did the likes of Neville. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was also a rugby league junior up until he later years.

I think there’s some more potential in the rugby league ranks of players who are too tall for the NRL, but have the necessary physical attributes to make it in union. Melbourne Storm forward Nelson Asofoa-Solomona at 200cm is the exception, not the norm.

Less so in AFL as they appreciate the tall timber.

Like this suggestion. Remember when they first hit out recruiting for the Women’s 7s? They obtained players from all sorts of sports.

no reason we can’t try something similar here. Some volleyballers might be able to bulk up, what happens to basketballers who miss the cut. Get them early enough and I to an academy of some kind.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
131377859_3620717314633658_3224279293391885658_o.jpg

Great to see Jake McIntyre out of quarantine and trying out his new WF blue kit.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I read the other day that business confidence in WA was at a 13 year high. I remember the 30,000 odd crowds we used to get to Force games. I know rugby interest has dropped off a fair bit in recent years, but I can't help but wonder if another mini-boom would see attendances rise.

A handful of talented young players who were born in WA around the mining boom who have headed back East or to NZ. Makes me wonder if we'd see the same again.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It will be for next season onwards. So wonder if he will be a replacement for Thrush at seasons end. Good signing if so

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yep, Ball would be a good get. Does his NH season end in March?

Reflected in the Euro salaries too.

_IiCcwaSnutXQgukczvp5Unf2iI81drlUMEavWbg-Wk.jpg

Relatively, 6s and especially 7s are a dime a dozen.

<edit> just seen I've been beaten to the punch on that graphic by DCT.

Ah well, I'll leave it in. ;)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep, Ball would be a good get. Does his NH season end in March?

Reflected in the Euro salaries too.

View attachment 11985

Relatively, 6s and especially 7s are a dime a dozen.

<edit> just seen I've been beaten to the punch on that graphic by DCT.

Ah well, I'll leave it in. ;)
Read somewhere the season finishes in June after the new Rainbow cup with SA teams

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Happy with Ball. Shame he isn't Aus eligible. Grest he's a local though. I thought I read he was currently in Perth ergo would be ready for the beginning of the season.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd select Godwin over Kahui but otherwise, yeah, it's solid. Much stronger than last year and you'd have to say our pack has more depth. You always hope to go top, but the Brumbies squad is too strong methinks. 2nd or 3rd would be great.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jake Ball is essential! lacking in that department big time.

I don't think no.7 options are that flash, and if you have Koteka then you end up with a short overall backrow with Lezana and Stander. I know Anstee is taller but...they are better. Force did shift leewarner to 6 because of a lack of tall timber.

I'd be going this way! Lezana is only 6ft2 and 105kg. Pretty standard open side size.

1. Robertson 2. Montoya 3. Medrano
4. Thrush 5. Ball
6. Leewarner 8. Stander 7. Lezana
9. Cubelli 10. Mcintyre 11. Pulu 12. Godwin 13. Kuridrani 14. Ralston 15. Kearney

16. Kaituu 17. Heiburg 18. Holmes 19. Anstee/Mccauley 20. Koteka 21. Prior 22. Lance 23. Brache/Kahui