• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely once the competition format is decided they will agree on a salary cap? They might give the Force a bit of leeway in year one as they need to rebuild and entice players West but going forward it has to be a level playing field doesn't it?
« ..........level playing field...... ». LOL! That’s the funniest thing I’ve read today, how ironic.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Under support of Tattarang the WF is currently under no restrictions on how the club can or must operate.
Past performance by RA was obviously not a recipe for success in the West.
I don't expect that the WF will return to Super Rugby on anything other than significant changes to past arrangements.

There has NEVER been a level playing field for Super Rugby in Australia and RA's LARGESSE extended towards the Rebels (which continues to this day) and the uneven distribution of Wallaby top-ups are testimonies to that.

There's no way known that private equity should be restricted by senseless rules which nobody - including the governing body - play by. Look at the benefits to private equity in clubs such as Saracens. The West is tired of the fickle decision making and condescending overlord attitude of RA.

Rugby in Australia can only move forward when it gets away from the old boys' network which has stifled our great game.
Move on people - the times they are a changing!!

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Nah don’t restrict the force, let them go at it with the purse

They need to pay significant overs to get anyone to move to Western Australia as their home grown talent won’t suffice and distance from the eastern states plays against them

Unless they go down some sort of AFL model where their salary cap is significantly more

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

They need to pay significant overs to get anyone to move to Western Australia as their home grown talent won’t suffice and distance from the eastern states plays against them

Unless they go down some sort of AFL model where their salary cap is significantly more

I'd like to see them turn those resources to bringing more Wallabies home and back into contention.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I don’t mind the concept of giving the Force a salary cap exemption for couple of years to rebuild as we want 5 strong oz franchises and yep ideally to use those resources to bring home grown talent back from overseas or from league (ie league players with union background). But suspect we may see a few more signings from other oz franchises following Robertson signing from tahs and to be expected.

And btw if that means the force become the best oz pro franchise that is cool, as would hopefully lift overall standards across all oz rugby franchises

Just want to see twiggy, wa rugby and force working closely with RA...you know the better together rather then the fractured and shambles (political) model we have in years past

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Surely once the competition format is decided they will agree on a salary cap? They might give the Force a bit of leeway in year one as they need to rebuild and entice players West but going forward it has to be a level playing field doesn't it?

I am hoping there might still be private equity investment so salary caps can be increased across the board to go after more talent. How real private equity option is still not sure

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Under support of Tattarang the WF is currently under no restrictions on how the club can or must operate.
Past performance by RA was obviously not a recipe for success in the West.
I don't expect that the WF will return to Super Rugby on anything other than significant changes to past arrangements.

There has NEVER been a level playing field for Super Rugby in Australia and RA's LARGESSE extended towards the Rebels (which continues to this day) and the uneven distribution of Wallaby top-ups are testimonies to that.

There's no way known that private equity should be restricted by senseless rules which nobody - including the governing body - play by. Look at the benefits to private equity in clubs such as Saracens. The West is tired of the fickle decision making and condescending overlord attitude of RA.

Rugby in Australia can only move forward when it gets away from the old boys' network which has stifled our great game.
Move on people - the times they are a changing!!

I don't disagree with this. But if a competition is to have any credibility there needs to be a salary cap. I don't care if it's high enough that the Force can exploit it, at least initially, but there needs to be one.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't disagree with this. But if a competition is to have any credibility there needs to be a salary cap. I don't care if it's high enough that the Force can exploit it, at least initially, but there needs to be one.

Why voice a threat that is meaningless? What would RA do, drop the Force from the comp?

Force have been left high and dry by no less than RA themselves. RA want to think hard and fast about how they dictate to these guys right now.

Edit: But if RA were to take this sort of shit seriously, what do you think the chances are of NZR doing the same for the comp on the other side of the ditch? It only adds more impetus for WA to consider seriously their options.

RA need to tread carefully.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Plenty of leagues function without a salary cap. I think the AFL also use exemptions for new teams to help them become established.

But seriously, Twiggy has the capacity to bring some of our boys back and RA are gunna tell him no? yeah fucken right.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Why voice a threat that is meaningless? What would RA do, drop the Force from the comp?

Force have been left high and dry by no less than RA themselves. RA want to think hard and fast about how they dictate to these guys right now.

Edit: But if RA were to take this sort of shit seriously, what do you think the chances are of NZR doing the same for the comp on the other side of the ditch? It only adds more impetus for WA to consider seriously their options.

RA need to tread carefully.

That's all true, but I'm referring to the TT comp in 2022, assuming that's what happens. I don't care what they do next year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That's all true, but I'm referring to the TT comp in 2022, assuming that's what happens. I don't care what they do next year.
The Kiwis main argument is that the Force won't be good enough. They should be all for financial doping.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the salary cap is primarily concerned with fiscal responsibility, similar to the (terrible, IMO) financial fair play rules in Europe for soccer. They don't want clubs sending the union broke.

Not an issue with Twiggy.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's not something I had really given much thought to TBH. But now thinking about it there obviously can't be a salary cap applicable to RA/NZR in the new comp unless players can be transferred between clubs across the ditch. This could be fun :D

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Force going to back local players...

Local players like Rodda, McMahon and Skelton.

They’ve got to stop talking and start doing.
Chip on your shoulder much? You can't be local only and competitive. Not at this stage. I'd be surprised if they aren't trying to get the numerous WA developed players home. They also have a responsibility to the competition to put together a squad that can win. That means Rodda et al. How would you have it?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chip on your shoulder much? You can't be local only and competitive. Not at this stage. I'd be surprised if they aren't trying to get the numerous WA developed players home. They also have a responsibility to the competition to put together a squad that can win. That means Rodda et al. How would you have it?

I would love for them to come out and say we are getting our WA stars back. We want Pasitoa and DHP and McDonald and Tizzano. They left when we didn't have a Super Rugby team and now we do and we want them back.

That would be awesome.

Then they can say - and we're going to do bring back the stars that the fans deserve to see. The Roddas, the Skeltons, the McMahons. We want to show them that there is a high performance program here for them in Australia.

THAT's what they should have said. Not this "we are going to bring back locals and then list a bunch of interstate players.

But I would think so much more of them if they openly said they were targetting bring the WA boys home. They've been talking up names like Dan Carter, Gill and McMahon etc since 2018. Shut up about it and just announce them when they've signed. But openly target the WA boys.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
THAT's what they should have said. Not this "we are going to bring back locals and then list a bunch of interstate players.

I reckon you're confusing comments attributable to Matt Hodgson with journalism from Nick Taylor who seems to be recycling a list of possibilities from 3 years ago.
I personally have no desire to see Skelton playing for the WF but would certainly welcome back Coleman.
I'm happy to wait for the announcements.............

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon you're confusing comments attributable to Matt Hodgson with journalism from Nick Taylor who seems to be recycling a list of possibilities from 3 years ago.
I personally have no desire to see Skelton playing for the WF but would certainly welcome back Coleman.
I'm happy to wait for the announcements.....

both on the Twiggy payroll - easily done.