• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Can we name another sport in the world where at the pro level it is reliant on purely local players to be fed into the team

Rugby League - No
Football - No
Basketball - No
Baseball - No
AFL - No
NFL - No

its almost like we live in some medievil world where we you fight only for where you are born.

For the record there is a very good Super Rugby team worth of talent from Vic, WA and ACT

1 Faulkner (Vic)
2 Uelese (Vic)
3 Fa'amasuili (Vic)
4 RHP (WA)
5 Hosea (Vic)
6 Valetini (Vic)
7 Tizzano (WA)
8 Samu (Vic)
9 Powell (ACT)
10 CLL (Vic) i'll cheat with this one as he no longer plays Super Rugby
11 Hansen (ACT)
12 Paisami (Vic)
13 Godwin (WA)
14 Lacey (WA)
15 DHP (WA)

Im sure i have missed some obvious ones

Ok, this is where I'll kind of lean more toward Ignoto's position here. While a free market for talent is fine it's the over reliance on just two nurseries that is an issue. Which is where some of the friction emerges.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The International players are here for the SRAu and TT comp only.
Talking to the players the WF is not offering or paying top $.
Players are happy to come to WA for the quality of the program, the no DH policy, the total team culture and the lifestyle.
The WF have a Force Family culture that not only cares for the player group but for W&Gs and extended families.
There are no inner or purple circles within the player group and all opinions are listened to.
I’ve seen rugby internationals listening attentively to what a Force Academy player had to say during a training session.

There’s some things that $ can’t buy.

From this culture, with this talent and with the current program results will come.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Players are happy to come to WA for the quality of the program, the no DH policy, the total team culture and the lifestyle.
The WF have a Force Family culture that not only cares for the player group but for W&Gs and extended families.
There are no inner or purple circles within the player group and all opinions are listened to.
I’ve seen rugby internationals listening attentively to what a Force Academy player had to say during a training session.

From this culture, with this talent and with the current program results will come.
Don’t disagree look at brumbies that have this culture in spades and success they have achieved...and reds also rebuild their culture and success having as two other examples.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Surely the quality of the program and the no DH policy are starting to prove hard to justify?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If you look at the Swans who had a no DH policy, they were happy to take guys from other clubs who were questionable but didn't have many issues when they arrived in Sydney. No guy is squeaky clean, you could argue that everyone is a DH. I know I get accused of being a DH all the time, maybe I am.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
People in glass houses?

I guess the difference being the Reds don't go around proclaiming the no dickheads policy. They acknowledge players' foibles, but have a culture of accountability.

As for the high performance program? Yeah, we are that glass house. The Reds have one clearly.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair I’ve seen and heard of lots of places who claim to have a no DH policy.

Invariably when someone plays up they just overlook it, justify it or sweep it under the table.

It’s pretty much just one of those normal corporate jargon phrases now that management levels love to lay claim to.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Let it go Reg, you're sounding like a jilted ex and I can't imagine the people on either side of this argument having their opinions changed, myself included.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let it go Reg, you're sounding like a jilted ex and I can't imagine the people on either side of this argument having their opinions changed, myself included.

you don't need to be a part of the conversation. Someone posted a comment, I questioned it, the OP responded ....kinda...

One of the things about Force fans, and some in the organisation, is they talk all grand about what the organisation is doing and is going to do. We haven't seen much of it executed just yet. But still the rhetoric comes... such as around the quality of their program???

The thing is, over at their forum there are plenty a lot more pragmatic about their system and performance. But when on here....

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Ready might breach the DH rule if you’re being strict.

Frisby too, is he still in the squad? I don’t like Rodda and the way he acted and could say the same about him.

I also said the same about JOC (James O'Connor) when the Reds signed him, and whilst his contribution has certainly been valued I remain unconvinced he isn’t a dickhead

I think the Force are recruiting as well as expected given the circumstances, I’m not sure there’s any character traits which differ their recruits from other clubs though.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
you don't need to be a part of the conversation. Someone posted a comment, I questioned it, the OP responded ..kinda.

One of the things about Force fans, and some in the organisation, is they talk all grand about what the organisation is doing and is going to do. We haven't seen much of it executed just yet. But still the rhetoric comes. such as around the quality of their program???

The thing is, over at their forum there are plenty a lot more pragmatic about their system and performance. But when on here..

Quick one - when are you expecting the results of the execution?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dunno. GRR was meant to be revolutionise rugby. It wasn’t.

Dan Carter, Sean McMahon, Ma’a Nonu and the like were going to come and play. They didn’t.

The force would prove they aren’t just making up numbers ..... we’ll see.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
They didn’t leave mid season...when everyone was going through challenges.and they didn’t use a pandemic as an excuse to just leave the club because they didn’t want to be at the club and we’re happy to go to another Australian club meaning the decision was not so much about the “financial opportunity that was too good to resist” but more about having a tanty because they missed out on the captaincy
I find this an incredibly naive position to take.
1/ how many people, if told they were getting a 60% pay cut while offered more elsewhere, would stay at their current employer.
2/ what sort of loyalty do super clubs offer? The answer is nil. If he was out of form or injured for an extended period then the Reds (and all clubs) would negotiate a significantly reduced package or cut him.
3/ he has a contract. The Reds were looking to (and did) broke that contract. I realise they were in a tough situation but virtually every private business would have a contract in place would expect that to be honoured.

It’s business. These things happen. He is a fantastic player and if he fits in with the team then he is worth having around. I see no integrity issue with how he acted.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok, this is where I'll kind of lean more toward Ignoto's position here. While a free market for talent is fine it's the over reliance on just two nurseries that is an issue. Which is where some of the friction emerges.
Sure

And you break that by having teams elsewhere. You do t just leave it as Qld and NSW because then there are only two teams to pick from and our talent base is tiny.

WA now has 4 Wallabies that have come through the WA system when the Force was there. The local comp has improved in quality exponentially. Tizzano is looking like a potential future Wallaby.
Vic has Paisami, Uelese and Velntini coming through now the Rebels are there with Hosea and Pone looking good as future Wallaby’s.

When the AFL went to Sydney in the early 80s it was completely ignored. They took their stars from Victoria for the better part of 30 years. Today there are two very successful AFL clubs in a Sydney with the league getting huge crowds. Plus there are quality players coming through.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sure

And you break that by having teams elsewhere. You do t just leave it as Qld and NSW because then there are only two teams to pick from and our talent base is tiny.

WA now has 4 Wallabies that have come through the WA system when the Force was there. The local comp has improved in quality exponentially. Tizzano is looking like a potential future Wallaby.
Vic has Paisami, Uelese and Velntini coming through now the Rebels are there with Hosea and Pone looking good as future Wallaby’s.

When the AFL went to Sydney in the early 80s it was completely ignored. They took their stars from Victoria for the better part of 30 years. Today there are two very successful AFL clubs in a Sydney with the league getting huge crowds. Plus there are quality players coming through.

Wasn't suggesting that it should be just NSW and Qld. More that efforts should be increased to build both quality and depth in the likes of Melbourne and Perth in particular to increase the pool in which the franchises draw from.