• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RR established team threads for the Reds, Waratahs, Brumbies and Rebels on 2 June 2020.
I thought that it was telling that no Western Force thread was created so decided to wait and see how long it would take.
After waiting for 3 months, I chose to kick-off the Western Force 2021 thread on 6 Sep 2020, with what we then knew about the squad for 2021.

Ah damn it.

You’ve got me.

My covers blown.

Yep. I’m part of the secret East Coast Elite secret committee set up to ensure the failure of the Western Force. Me, Raelene Castle, Cam Clyne, John Eales, the Chinese, Allan Joyce, Damon Murphy and Willie Ripia had come up with this big detailed plan. And it was all happening. Everyone had played their part. But I stuffed it.

My job was to simply prolong the creation of any Western Force thread for as long as possible on this public forum. But you foiled our plans.

I guess my sole focus now is Plan B, which is to make sure not a single Force player ever gets picked in a team of the week.

Mwahahahaha MWAHAHAHAHA.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
WESTERN FORCE – 2017 - The Launch of the IPRC

This was the first Super Rugby season in which the WF operated under the new Alliance Agreement with Rugby Australia (the the ARU), that had been announced in June 2016, in which the WF was integrated into the ARU’s High Performance Unit.
ARU CEO Bill Pulver advised: “The ARU and RugbyWA have collectively created a model which we believe will be more sustainable for our Super Rugby organisations in Australia". It was this Alliance Agreement which enable RA to axe the WF only 14 months later.

The WF finished mid-table with wins over the Reds x 2, Kings, Jaguares, Rebels and finally the Waratahs (41-11) at home in that last memorable game before being axed.
The WF finished 2nd to the Brumbies in the Aussie Super Rugby conference.

The 37 player WF squad (plus 7 wider training squad players) contained a good number of journeymen but also:
  • About 20% WA developed players (Hardwick, 2 x Haylett-Petty, Koteka, Louwrens, Peni, Burton, Scoble).
  • 12 players who earned their first Super Rugby cap with the WF (Cowan, Hodgson, McCalman, Faulkner, Ainsley, Vui, Rangi, Philip, Cottrell, Ruru, Rona)
  • 4 players from the Wider Training Group who earned their first Super Rugby cap with the WF (Newsome, Verity-Amm, Havili, Short).
The WF was removed from Super Rugby in August and it wasn’t long before only 7 players (from 44 in total) remained in WA (Tessman, Stander, Prior, Grant, Brache, Louwrens and Scoble).
The bulk of the players, coaches and support staff were recruited by the Melbourne Rebels.

This was the same Western Force which, from 2008 - 2017, had provided 13 players their first Super Rugby cap and who became Wallabies: Brown (828), Pocock (829), O’Connor (832), Cowan (834), Hodgson (841), McCalman (845), Cummins (864), Faulkner (877), Charles (880), Haylett-Petty (892), Godwin (903), Hardwick (906) and Rona (910) plus Adam Coleman (895) (who had played a single game for the Tahs against the WF in 2013).

Matt Hodgson quickly transitioned from Club Captain, retirement, to retrenchment to being Director of Rugby for Minderoo in just 2 weeks.

Indo Pacific Rugby Championship
In October, just two months after the WF’s Super Rugby licence was withdrawn, and only weeks after all avenues of keeping the WF in the competition had been exhausted, Andrew Forrest launched the concept/vision of the IPRC. By its very nature this is an aspirational presentation, which sets the target at a high level.

The vision: to make rugby the community building sport of choice for the Indo Pacific.
The purpose: “Through attracting the greatest talent we will build rugby capacity and generate opportunities for players and fans, community, government and business throughout the Indo Pacific Region.”
The objective:
  • Create the premier Indo Pacific Rugby Championship
  • Execute the ambitions of World Rugby to grow the sport through the Indo Pacific Region
  • Become the most watched and entertaining sport in each country.
One feature of the conceptual IPRC was Marque Players (3, 2 or 1) who would be provided for each of the clubs in the early stages to help develop and promote the great game of rugby throughout the region.
Does anybody really think that Forrest could mention players such as Carter, McMahon and Nonu if they hadn’t already expressed their intention of being involved?

The IPRC was developed with full collaboration with World Rugby and Rugby Unions throughout the region.
However, Rugby Australia had the power of veto over all things rugby in Australia.
In the IPRC launch video Forrest talks about the need for approval from Rugby Australia and World Rugby expected in December 2017.

However, Forrest didn’t just sit on his hands:
  • He leased the Western Force IP (including the name) from RA.
  • He began to financially support RugbyWA, as RA had reduced its contribution to about the same as what RA provided to the NT and SA. This despite WA having the 3rd highest level of participation and 1st for participation of women in the sport. This is still the level of RA support for RugbyWA.
  • He started recruiting players, coaching and support staff to re-establish and maintain a professional rugby team in WA.
  • Tim Sampson (Coach for Canberra Vikings) was appointed Head Coach and Wallaby Van Humphries Assistant Coach.
Every Rugby Union employee of Minderoo understood the meaning of the normal close of Andrew Forrest's correspondence:
"MIH" - Make It Happen.

Unfortunately, procrastination on the part of Rugby Australia prevented any establishment of the IPRC in 2018.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
It seems that RugbyReg (RR) is becoming to Green & Gold Rugby, what Train Without a Station (TWAS) has become to The Roar.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. It's rather unfortunate, because a few years back when the Force was on the chopping block, Reg was actually one of the main voices of reason and advocates of the Force on this site from the east coast. I especially appreciated that he also contributed well to discussions on the TWF website also.

Unfortunately and somewhat understandably he got pushed offside by the somewhat repetitive negativity and reaction to some perhaps overzealous moderating of Force supporters on GAGR, or something along those lines anyway if my sketchy memory serves correctly. I think it's probably not a grudge from the Force 'stealing' Reds when they started up.

While wanting Force supporters to 'get over' being cut from Super Rugby and the historical maltreatment of the Force and WA Rugby by the ARU/RA, it seems perhaps he is currently unable to get over the grudge that he's holding from these events a few years ago.

I could be wrong - perhaps he has a tongue firmly in his cheek and is just enjoying playing devil's advocate to the general enthusiasm from Force supporters for what is being done in WA Rugby and at the Force in their rebuilding, but it hasn't been coming across that way...

Hopefully the general positivity coming from Force supporters is understandable given we're coming from the depths of our team being removed and rugby in WA likely dying out to a real fringe sport. We're generally liking the focus on juniors, grassroots rugby and getting WA pathways going with a view to the long term. We don't mind that they've had to bring in overseas talent and 'journeymen' to assist with development of the squad and to try to bring new WA supporters to the game. While instant results would've been great, I don't think any Force supporters really expected that would happen this year. We're just happy that we seem to generally be moving in the right direction, and that we've got a team playing rugby that we can support.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think personally people read too much into some posters posting style personally - I very much doubt anyone posting on force thread is anti force - I think there is many who too quickly get defensive but also aware of raw history and anger that festers but diminishing over time. I understand the reasons for this and hence don’t comment except in this rare case.

We all see the force as important part of the footprint and again doubt anyone posting on this thread has anything but admiration for efforts and work put in by twiggy, his team and the force in building strong pathways in wa and rebuilding the force. I actually sincerely believe this and think more force supporters increasingly do to as notice less anger towards others outside of wa on Twf site as my temperature gauge for this which has been good to see as we all need to move forward from what was a dark chapter.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hopefully the general positivity coming from Force supporters is understandable given we're coming from the depths of our team being removed and rugby in WA likely dying out to a real fringe sport. We're generally liking the focus on juniors, grassroots rugby and getting WA pathways going with a view to the long term. We don't mind that they've had to bring in overseas talent and 'journeymen' to assist with development of the squad and to try to bring new WA supporters to the game. While instant results would've been great, I don't think any Force supporters really expected that would happen this year. We're just happy that we seem to generally be moving in the right direction, and that we've got a team playing rugby that we can support.

This is generally where I'm at. I'm a realist about what we can achieve in the short term but definitely upbeat about the future of the game here in the West.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
WESTERN FORCE – 2018 – World Series Rugby

By early 2018, Minderoo has resurrected the Future Force Foundation and the Force Academy which also had 3 women rugby players involved. The Academy included players such as Carlo Tizzano and Michael McDonald who would feature in the Jnr Wallabies team in 2019.

In February, Minderoo launched RugbyRoos programme – a long term commitment to develop rugby skills with 5 – 12 yo kids learning the fundamental skills of rugby in clinics held at school locations and run by contracted WA Rugby Players.

ALL WF players are contracted to devote 350 hours of personal time each year to community programmes such as RugbyRoos.

Fortescue Metals Group (Fortescue) continued as Major Partner of RugbyWA and Naming Rights Partner of the RugbyWA senior rugby club competition.

A 32 player squad was established which saw the return of Chris Alcock (Brumbies) and Chris Heiberg (Kings), and 5 Aussies returned from OS - Rod Davies, Kieran Longbottom, Andrew Deegan, Cameron Orr and Harrison Orr.

Marque players included: Jaque Fourie (Springbok) (who never played due to injury but provided coaching support), Jeremy Thrush (All Black) and Masivesi Dakuwaqa (Fiji 7s Olympic Gold Medalist).

Notably the new squad comprised >20% WA-developed players. Louwrens and Scoble were joined by Ferris, Lacey, Sheminant and Uyen. They were later joined by Nick Jooste (Brumbies).

It became too late to establish the IPRC in 2018.

Forrest announced World Series Rugby (WSR): 7 invitational, exhibition games from May-August against: Fiji, Tonga, Rebels, Crusaders, Samoa, Hong Kong and Robbie Dean’s Panasonic Wild Knights as well as a match against the Australian Country Stockmen team.

WSR presented a totally new match-day experience (who can forget Wolfmother at the opening game?) as well as some rule innovations: power try, rolling subs, one-minute scrums, faster lineouts aimed at getting more ball-in-play time. All rule changes were sanctioned by World Rugby.

Innovation continued as WSR could be viewed on FoxSpots, Channel 7, live streaming of all games and on Twitter(for the last 3 games).

Players such as George Pisi (France/UK/Samoa), Henry Teafu(Reds/Samoa), Harry Lloyd (Vikings) joined the playing squad for the NRC games.

The WF were runners-up in the NRC in 2018.

In November 2018, Forrest launched Global Rapid Rugby (GRR).
Forrest was requested to delayed GRR until 2020 as the RWC was to be held in Japan in 2019.

By year end, Carlo Tizzano had been upgraded to the Extended Player Squad and Andrew Ready had joined from the Reds.

There were some exciting events to come in 2019 with the new squad having the opportunity to test their rugby skills against a World composite team and teams from 7 countries throughout the Indo Pacific Region; including assisting some national sides prepare for the RWC.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
WESTERN FORCE – 2018 – World Series Rugby

By early 2018, Minderoo has resurrected the Future Force Foundation and the Force Academy which also had 3 women rugby players involved. The Academy included players such as Carlo Tizzano and Michael McDonald who would feature in the Jnr Wallabies team in 2019.

In February, Minderoo launched RugbyRoos programme – a long term commitment to develop rugby skills with 5 – 12 yo kids learning the fundamental skills of rugby in clinics held at school locations and run by contracted WA Rugby Players.

ALL WF players are contracted to devote 350 hours of personal time each year to community programmes such as RugbyRoos.

Fortescue Metals Group (Fortescue) continued as Major Partner of RugbyWA and Naming Rights Partner of the RugbyWA senior rugby club competition.

A 32 player squad was established which saw the return of Chris Alcock (Brumbies) and Chris Heiberg (Kings), and 5 Aussies returned from OS - Rod Davies, Kieran Longbottom, Andrew Deegan, Cameron Orr and Harrison Orr.

Marque players included: Jaque Fourie (Springbok) (who never played due to injury but provided coaching support), Jeremy Thrush (All Black) and Masivesi Dakuwaqa (Fiji 7s Olympic Gold Medalist).

Notably the new squad comprised >20% WA-developed players. Louwrens and Scoble were joined by Ferris, Lacey, Sheminant and Uyen. They were later joined by Nick Jooste (Brumbies).

It became too late to establish the IPRC in 2018.

Forrest announced World Series Rugby (WSR): 7 invitational, exhibition games from May-August against: Fiji, Tonga, Rebels, Crusaders, Samoa, Hong Kong and Robbie Dean’s Panasonic Wild Knights as well as a match against the Australian Country Stockmen team.

WSR presented a totally new match-day experience (who can forget Wolfmother at the opening game?) as well as some rule innovations: power try, rolling subs, one-minute scrums, faster lineouts aimed at getting more ball-in-play time. All rule changes were sanctioned by World Rugby.

Innovation continued as WSR could be viewed on FoxSpots, Channel 7, live streaming of all games and on Twitter(for the last 3 games).

Players such as George Pisi (France/UK/Samoa), Henry Teafu(Reds/Samoa), Harry Lloyd (Vikings) joined the playing squad for the NRC games.

The WF were runners-up in the NRC in 2018.

In November 2018, Forrest launched Global Rapid Rugby (GRR).
Forrest was requested to delayed GRR until 2020 as the RWC was to be held in Japan in 2019.

By year end, Carlo Tizzano had been upgraded to the Extended Player Squad and Andrew Ready had joined from the Reds.

There were some exciting events to come in 2019 with the new squad having the opportunity to test their rugby skills against a World composite team and teams from 7 countries throughout the Indo Pacific Region; including assisting some national sides prepare for the RWC.

I’m confused about what this article is and whether it’s 2 years old or not?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
WESTERN FORCE – 2019 – Asia Pacific Showcase Series

In 2019, the WF squad was further expanded with players including: Markus Vanzati, Henry Stowers and Issak Fines.
The player group, including the Extended Player Squad, had grown to 37; notably 27% were WA developed players.

A GRR Showcase Series was played April-June 2019.
Rather than being just exhibition games, for each Showcase, the teams were playing for a trophy and a $25,000 purse.

The season kicked off with a game against a World XV coached by Robbie Deans and Jake White.
Both Robbie and Jake strongly support the GRR efforts to grow the game in the region.

Asia Showcase – WF with home/away games against South China Tigers (Hong Kong) and Asia Pacific Dragons (Singapore).

The WF was invited by the Japan Union to play two trial games in Japan against the Japan Wolfpack and the wider RWC squad.

Pacific Showcase – WF with home/away games against Fiji and Samoa.

All games were available via SBS, Kayo and all over the Indo Pacific Region.

The WF won both Showcase Series and donated their $50,000 winnings to local Perth/WA rugby.

In August, the WF played Malaysia Valke on the night before the Bledisloe Cup match in Perth.
The Valke results from a collaboration between the Malaysia Union and East Rand Valke (Falcons).

At the same time Forrest announced the first season of GRR in 2020.

The WF found time to play a trial game against the Tonga RWC team.

Jonah Placid and Chris Tautera-Morrison both returned from France to play in the NRC.

The WF won the NRC in 2019.
Andrew Forrest, through his Minderoo Foundation, spiced up the NRC Final by offering $100,000 per WF try to the Telethon Kids Institute 2019 appeal, with $25,000 donated every time the Vikings dot down. The total donation was $600,000.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
WESTERN FORCE – 2020 – Global Rapid Rugby/SRAu

The inaugural GRR season was announced in November 2019.

The Teams were Western Force, South China Tigers (HK), Malaysia Valke, Fijian Latui, Manuma Samoa and China Lions.
The teams covered the length and breadth of the Indo Pacific region with the Valke bringing together South Africa and Malaysia and the Lions linking China with NZ’s Bay of Plenty.

It wasn’t an easy birthing. There were significant events happening around the region:
  • The measles outbreak in Samoa;
  • The White Island eruption/tragedy;
  • Growing unrest between China and Hong Kong; and
  • Uncertainties surrounding the rapid spread of Covid-19.
Games planned for Shanghai (3) and Rotorua (2) needed to be rescheduled among many other Plan B-Z changes.

The WF continued to recruit by offering squad positions to the successful NRC players: Pama Fou, Byron Ralston, Jake Strachan, Jacob Abel, Perth local Dom Hardman, and Force Academy players, Rory O’Sullivan and Grayson Makara. Angus Wagner joined from the Brumbies.
The 32 player squad now contained 28% WA developed players.

The WF had pre-season trials against Sydney’s Eastwood in Perth and Hunter Wildfires in Newcastle.

Round 1 of GRR kicked off on 14 March with Fiji Latui v China Lions in Suva, and a double-header in Perth: Manua Samoa v South China Tigers and Western Force v Malaysia Valke.
Regrettably with the onset of Covid-19, GRR was suspended on 15 March and finally cancelled on 7 April.

On 27 May Andrew Forrest announced he was prepared for the Western Force to join the proposed Super Rugby competition (SRAu) which was expected to commence in July.

The WF playing squad was boosted in an effort to provide depth and players with Super Rugby experience. It wasn’t a case of being able to freely recruit players from anywhere, but more of a case of recruiting players who were available, as they had either already returned to Australia, or could be quickly available after spending two weeks in quarantine.

Joining the squad were: Kyle Godwin (Ireland), Greg Holmes (UK), Jono Lance (UK), Ollie Atkins (UK), Kane Koteka (Japan), Jordan Luke (Brisbane), Pek Cowan (Japan) and All Black, Richard Kahui (Japan).

With border restrictions in place in WA and elsewhere, the WF was based in NSW for all of the SRAu season. Home became Pokolbin, in the Hunter Valley; Kingscliff, close to the Queensland border; and Avoca, on Central Coast. 74 days away from home and living in a Covid-19 isolation bubble.
The WF enabled many W&Gs and some kids to join their partners in the bubble.

Although competitive, the WF lost all games in SRAu 2020; 4 games by <7 points and 2 blow-outs.

However, the following young rugby players were able to earn their first Super Rugby caps with the WF:
  • From WA: Ollie Callan, Tevin Ferris, Dom Hardman, Nick Jooste, Brad Lacey, Tom Sheminant; and
  • From elsewhere: Jacob Abel, Feleti Kaitu’u, Fergus Lee-Warner, Jack McGregor, Byron Ralston, Henry Stowers, Jake Strachan and Angus Wagner.
Three WF squad players were invited to join the Wallabies Camp in preparation for the Bledisloe Tests: Brynard Stander, Kyle Godwin and Feleti Kaitu’u.

The WF immediately started recruiting for whatever competition was going to happen in 2021.
The uncertainty was whether it was to be played in Australia or New Zealand.

By year-end the following payers had been recruited for 2021: Tom Robertson (Waratahs), Tivita Kurindrani (Brumbies), Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland), Tim Anstee (Aus 7s), Toni Pulu (Brumbies), Ryan McCauley (Waratahs), Jake McIntyre (Clermont), Michael McDonald (Waratahs) and 4 players from Argentina: Tomas Cubelli, Tomas Lezana, Santiago Medrano and Domingo Miotti.

In addition, the WF boosted coaching staff with Assistant Coach, John McKee (from coaching the Fiji national team) and Head of Athletic Performance, Anthony Cutrupi (Waratahs).

In June 2020, Andrew Forrest announced a commitment of $7 million to community rugby over the next 5 years which included an expansion of the RugbyRoos program as well as new public secondary school competition for which David Pocock would be Ambassador.

In October 2020, WF announced new structure and support staff for the Force Academy. RugbyWA would continue to support U16s and U18s emerging players who could strive to graduate into the Force Academy which would include an Emerging Player Group and a Wider Training Group.

That's the end of the annual summaries as 2021 is still unfolding.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
What are the take-aways from the last 3 years?
Minderoo/Tattarang has:
  1. Maintained a professional rugby team in WA.
  2. Supported rugby in WA when RA effectively turned its back on the game in the West despite and reducing annual $ support to the same level as South Australia and Northern Territory. This despite WA having the 3rd highest participitation rate for men and highest participation rate for women.
  3. Reached out to rugby communities/Unions in the Indo Pacific region to promote and grow the game of rugby. Countries included: India , Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and Australia. Collaborated with rugby unions in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. All activities were under the necessary sanctioned of World Rugby.
  4. Established rugby development pathways for men and women in WA from 5yo up to the professional level.
  5. In 2020, kicked-off the promised 6 team competition with teams from China (supported by NZ) , Hong Kong, Malaysia (supported by Sth Africa), Fiji and WA.
These achievements despite the impacts of procrastination/delayed approvals by Rugby Australia, the impact of the 2019 RWC in Japan, volcanic eruption, outbreak of measles in Samoa, significant political unrest and a global pandemic.

Has the WF backed local players?
Since the WF was axed from Super Rugby in 2017, when 6 of the 8 WA developed players in the squad moved elsewhere (and another shortly after), the WF has maintained a squad with at least 20% local talent.
In 2020, some of these players were found to be below Super Rugby standard. 6 WA developed players earned their Super Rugby caps in that year and 8 from elsewhere.
The 2021 squad has 8 WA developed players.

Opportunities for rugby players in the region to play Super Rugby?
Including 2017, through having a 5th Super Rugby team, the following non-WA developed players have earned their first caps at Super Rugby level: Jermaine Ainsley, Shambeckler Vui, Anaru Rangi, Matt Philip, Isi Naisarani, Michael Ruru, Ammon Matuato, Chance Peni, Feleti Kaitu’u, Fergus Lee-Warner, Henry Stowers, Jacob Abel, Jack McGregor, Byron Ralston, Jack Winchester, Tim Anstee.

Has the WF developed a high performance program?
The WF is developing a development pathway which supports rugby players from the age of 5yo to professional rugby.
Minderoo/Tattarang’s support of grassroots rugby is unsurpassed in Australia.
Are the results showing on the scoreboard? Not at the moment but time will tell. Some players in the WF squad only started training with the group 1-2 months ago.
Under Anthony Cutrupi, the WF squad is certainly fitter than they were in 2020 and playing out the full 80 minutes.
Past Force Academy players such as Richard Hardwick and Carlo Tizzano are making their mark on Super Rugby.
Recently 4 players from the Force Academy were invited to the Junior Wallabies camp: Reece Anapu (Palmyra), Alex Masibaka (Assoc), Connor Seve (Wests) and Luke Callan (Wanneroo)

What about the rugby revolution?
Each year the WF fans have seen their team take-on teams from the full Indo Pacific region.
The WF has revolutionised media coverage of rugby with live games available to most of the region.
The game day experience has been created and maintained – even during the tough times over the past 18 months.
The WF has an excellent working relationship with all Rugby Unions within the region).
Many of the WF/GRR’s efforts to keep the ball in play more with law changes, and application of the laws, are now being adopted by competitions in the region.
We’re seeing entertaining rugby .
There are strategic collaborations that have been developed throughout the region (Sth Africa/Malaysia and NZ/China) which are aimed at maintaining a stream of developing players and expertise to aid the growth of rugby in the region.
There’s no doubt that the WF and GRR has support throughout the region as shown by Panasonic Wild Knights and Crusaders playing in WSR and Japan and Tonga using the WF to help teams prepare for the RWC.

What about the Marque players that were promised?
This was part of the aspirational vision of the IPRC which was announced just 2 months after the WF was axed by ARU/RA. For various reasons it took 3 seasons to get GRR established in 2020.
Arguably players such as Jaques Fourie, Jeremy Thrush, Masivesi Dakuwaqa, Greg Holmes, Tivita Kuridrani, Rob Kearney, Richard Kahui, Tomas Cubelli, Siteleki Tomani all rate as marque players.

What about bringing more Aussies home?
Over the past 4 years the WF has brought the following players back from OS: Billy Meakes, Jono Lance, Keiran Longbottom, Andrew Deegan, Cameron & Harrison Orr, Rodd Davies, Jonah Placid, Jake McIntyre, Kyle Godwin, Kane Koteka, Pek Cowan, Nick Frisby, Sitaleki Timani and soon Izzak Rodda.
Since 2017, WF have been unable to commit to any long-term game plan so could only consider offering 1-year contracts to prospective players.
Players can only be recruited if they are available and ready for a move?

How do the efforts of Rugby Australia and the other Aussie franchises compare in maintaining support for and growing the game of rugby in Australia and our region over the past 4 years?
I'm interested in the views of others..........

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Very pleasing to Tim Anstee, Feleti Kaitu'u and Sitaleki Timani make the 2021 Wallabies Training Camp.
Tom Robertson unlucky not to be there.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Very pleasing to Tim Anstee, Feleti Kaitu'u and Sitaleki Timani make the 2021 Wallabies Training Camp.
Tom Robertson unlucky not to be there.

Robertson? They only picked two loose heads so I don't see it.

What position do you think is Anstee's best?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Considering the Force were in Brisbane on the 20th of March, any word of whether they are locking down?

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Was a tough watch on Friday. Only just coming up for air.

Basically we have a good starting XV but aside from a couple of the backups we're in struggle town once injuries hit.

We basically kicked off without Thrush, Kearney, Kahui, Godwin and Pulu and lost McIntyre and Holmes early. All of those are in our best XV when everyone is fit.
I think some of the guys that came in are up to it but some aren't in terms of starting.

Macauley is ok off the bench but lacks oomph.
As mentioned elsewhere Brache is game but he's not a starting Super Rugby winger.

It's going to take time to build depth. Probably a couple of years (unless we go raiding other teams - but that would be wrong).

They are the best we have and I still think if we can get a few of the above fit we can win another couple of games. Three wins would mark an improvement and hopefully with a better/deeper squad next year we could improve further.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Considering the Force were in Brisbane on the 20th of March, any word of whether they are locking down?
The bye probably saves their upcoming matches from interruption, even if training is disrupted. I imagine the Reds will need to spend some time on the road to be allowed in WA for the 23 April game - just hard to decipher how much.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was a tough watch on Friday. Only just coming up for air.

Basically we have a good starting XV but aside from a couple of the backups we're in struggle town once injuries hit.

We basically kicked off without Thrush, Kearney, Kahui, Godwin and Pulu and lost McIntyre and Holmes early. All of those are in our best XV when everyone is fit.
I think some of the guys that came in are up to it but some aren't in terms of starting.

Macauley is ok off the bench but lacks oomph.
As mentioned elsewhere Brache is game but he's not a starting Super Rugby winger.

It's going to take time to build depth. Probably a couple of years (unless we go raiding other teams - but that would be wrong).

They are the best we have and I still think if we can get a few of the above fit we can win another couple of games. Three wins would mark an improvement and hopefully with a better/deeper squad next year we could improve further.
To me fridays game shows the value of Kearneys on field leadership