• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
What position do you think is Anstee's best?

We've only seen Tim play at Lock and BSF - and neither for very long.
I reckon he shows most potential at BSF but he needs to bulk up a bit.
Certainly offers a good lineout option.
This selection is very much for encouragement and recognition of his potential as I don't think that he's ready for selection.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Considering the Force were in Brisbane on the 20th of March, any word of whether they are locking down?

Pleased to advise that on the basis of the rules laid down by both Qld & WA governments the WF didn't need to go into quarantine which was helped by the squad having no contact with any of the identified hotspots and being quite restricted in their activities while in Brisbane.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Definitely. And Thrush is equally important in the pack.
Yep and seems the force management very astute In value of recruiting thrush, Kearney and Kahui bring for their on field leadership but gees force really did look rudderless without them.

Players like rodda will help with that next season...

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Yep and seems the force management very astute In value of recruiting thrush, Kearney and Kahui bring for their on field leadership but gees force really did look rudderless without them.

Players like rodda will help with that next season.

it's such a high wire act. It's tough to compete with Euro cash for players at tail end of career so we probably have to take a chance on some 34 year olds. Now this can work out but we all know rugby is an attritional game and possibly more so in mid thirties. It's part of recruiting like that but unlucky to lose all three at once.
Add in the other 4-5 injuries and our thin squad is going to struggle.

It's going to take a few years and we're ahead of last year. We just need to keep working and building.

Short of going and upsetting the applecart by making big offers to young players at Queensland and other states we're just going to have to find a way. I like this way but it also allows idiots to throw cheap jibes in the meantime.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
it's such a high wire act. It's tough to compete with Euro cash for players at tail end of career so we probably have to take a chance on some 34 year olds. Now this can work out but we all know rugby is an attritional game and possibly more so in mid thirties. It's part of recruiting like that but unlucky to lose all three at once.

It's going to take a few years and we're ahead of last year. We just need to keep working and building.

Short of going and upsetting the applecart by making big offers to young players at Queensland and other states we're just going to have to find a way. I like this way but it also allows idiots to throw cheap jibes in the meantime.
The force have made progress in recruiting better players but need to continue to scan the horizons as well as investment in own pathways. The absence of the older trio mentioned has both highlighted their value but also the need to recruit further experienced but younger long term prospects. As you say competitive market and have made progress. I hope they keep some of the Argentina players as they are the right age bracket and quality to be longer term investments. If they could land a kerevi or Skelton that would be good for both force and wallabies.

But in any case as long as keep improving roster year on year all heading in the right direction.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
PAGE 1 of the Reds thread have Liam Wright and Uru off contract this year !

Im a big reds fan but I'm worried - both players will be demanding contract upgrades (Uru moreso and I doubt they were planning for it as his rise has been quite quick - reminds me of naisarani in that regards). Yet at least 1 of these 2 will be a benchwarmer for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure Uru would be a nice prospect for the Tahs and Wright for the Force.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Liam Wright is one of the smartest fellas going around right now, knows the rules and has the respect of most refs and certainly his team! I'd have him at the Force in a heartbeat.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Liam Wright is one of the smartest fellas going around right now, knows the rules and has the respect of most refs and certainly his team! I'd have him at the Force in a heartbeat.
Crocked or not, given he is the club captain there, it might upset Brad's parishioners. But obviously if they don't value his re-signing it's a different story.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Pleased to advise that on the basis of the rules laid down by both Qld & WA governments the WF didn't need to go into quarantine which was helped by the squad having no contact with any of the identified hotspots and being quite restricted in their activities while in Brisbane.

I did see Richard Kahui out and about on a Lime scooter near Howard Smith Wharves...

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Keep up the good work Tony........
New CEO building community connections

March 31, 2021
Western Force Chief Executive Officer Tony Lewis has a clear vision to ensure the growth of rugby union in Western Australia, with a focus on young talent.
Having been out in the community meeting with clubs since taking on the CEO role, Lewis has been on a mission to build relationships.
Read more........

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fantastic development in the West.

Western Force launch Super W team
April 1, 2021

The Western Force is proud to announce a newly structured Super W team, as the club increases its support for the women’s game in Western Australia.
The team will play under the Western Force name, with RugbyWA overseeing the operational and logistical aspects in a collaborative approach.

Read more......

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
By popular request.........
Force injury update
April 1, 2021

Homegrown star Kyle Godwin is nearing his long-awaited return to the field, while a number of players continue to work back to full fitness.

Kyle Godwin (foot)
Having missed the opening five Force matches of the Super Rugby AU campaign with a foot injury, Godwin is back running. The capped Wallabies centre is set to join the team training sessions across the Easter long weekend.

Read more..........

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)

Isn't that the whole point of having a 5th team giving those young lads from the other states another pathway. I'm as patriotic as the next and wish Qld could hoard all of their young talent to itself but it does them no good not getting exposure waiting for injuries to get game time in Super Rugby. I am aware of my poor Grammer and no I won't fix it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fantastic development in the West.

Western Force launch Super W team
April 1, 2021

The Western Force is proud to announce a newly structured Super W team, as the club increases its support for the women’s game in Western Australia.
The team will play under the Western Force name, with RugbyWA overseeing the operational and logistical aspects in a collaborative approach.

Read more..

Now this would be the chance to make a real statement. Make this team fully professional. Bring back the rugby players from AFL - Mhicca Carter, Courtney Hodder, Brooke Walker. Get some of those leaguies back - Hannah Souithwell. Maybe sign someone like Tamika Upton. Perhaps a few of those 7s girls looking for an new challenge post Olympics. It'd be awesome to keep them in the game for the RWC. They could even sign some kiwis, poms, canadians etc.

Obviously that should make a real statement in Super W but then they could even tour places like NZL and Europe etc.

It'd be amazing. I genuinely reackon it would be ground breaking more than anything they could achieve with the men's team

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Now this would be the chance to make a real statement.

A little touch or reality.

Rugby Union is still working out how to pay for the men's professional game, so IMO it's way too early to start turning the Women's game fully professional.

I'm sure that it will come, but it's still some way off especially due to the lack of crowds attending the Women's game.

I remember attending a 20:20 cricket match at the WACA which had a women's curtain-raiser.
There were about 2,000 spectators for the women's match which grew to 25,000 about 10 minutes before the men's match.

I reckon the WF is doing it correctly.
There were already 3 women who were full time in the Force Academy - I'm sure that this number will grow.
It makes such a difference for these developing players to be part of an elite program in which they are supported in so many different areas.

When the Hong Kong Tigers brought their team to Perth in 2019, they also brought with them the Honk Kong women's team who played against the WA women's team. It was a great exhibition match which was very well attended.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A touch of reality is an interesting statement coming from a Force fan.

And a fairly conservative response.

We’ve heard the word “revolution” so much from Twiggy and Hodgo but Wolf Mother as prematch entertainment and shortened halves is not revolutionary.

Having the worlds first fully professional women’s provincial rugby team (I assume?) would be down right revolutionary and awesome for the game.