• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force v ACT Brumbies - Rnd 17 Friday 5 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's all i could think the whole game Quick Hands. They've got some great young players that won't develop under him.

You have to wonder if the people on the WARU or the Force board are watching these games. You're right, it's just rubbish.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Pretty close comp this close to the end. Still a decent chance 2nd to 6th all finish on the same points (or within 1).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Scoreline flatters the Brumbies a bit, I mean they didn't really have anything in attack at all. If the maul didn't exist it could've been 9-6.

Is To'omua back next week? Badly needed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Re Foley, In the pre-game warmup, I watched him working with the two sets of front rowers away from the rest of the players who seemed to be left to their own devices. I'm sure they weren't but it certainly wasn't Foley directing their activities. Is front row play the only part of the game he understands, I wonder?

On the game, the Brumbies did what was needed. Looked good in parts and a bit off the boil in others. Pity they had to resort to the rolling maul for three of their tries but I have to say they were executed with a good deal of precision. The much lauded Force pack was no match for the Brumbies forwards. Did anyone notice how easy it was for the Brumbies to force Matt Hodgson backwards in tackles. Even Christian Lealiifano held him up to force a maul and turnover. A good Super player at best but not the same class as the leading No 7s.

Ita Vaea had another very strong game and with another ref would have secured at least two turnovers in the first half.

Does Angus Gardiner have any idea about how scrums work? It looked to me that he was issuing penalties willy nilly just to stamp his authority but with no real idea of what was actually happening. On a couple of occasions he just held the 'set' command back until one side infringed.

Not happy about the ankle/leg injuries that seemed to be carried by Speight and Tomane for most of the game. And it's really about time Robbie Coleman went to the bench. Too many mistakes and too light to make a good impact. Hope Matty To'omua is back for next week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hodgson has always been a terrible ball runner. He got some misguided praise because he scored tries last year but when you pick and drive 70% of the time you're bound to get a couple 1m out a few times.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Scoreline flatters the Brumbies a bit, I mean they didn't really have anything in attack at all. If the maul didn't exist it could've been 9-6.

Is To'omua back next week? Badly needed.

Speight was out early which didn't help.

Plus there were no scrums to work a back line move off and if the maul is working why not go to it.

I think you're being a bit harsh, 5 tries to to two concessions.

Brumbies are looking good, third week in a row of pressure rugby and they've come up with the goods.

M

Moono75

We need a clean out of the playing roster and an injection of some star quality just to reignite the passion about the club. And as much as we can appreciate those members that have cult like blind dedication to the club and can see no wrong, this club needs a massive kick in the ass. Blind elegance to the Force blowing smoke up their ass is going to achieve nothing for us in the next 10 years. I've waited too long. I can accept defeat playing intelligent and entertaining rugby but we have suffered enough playing dull rugby.

You live and die by the product you put on the field and tonight's game did nothing to inspire anyone to take up rugby. The NRL are in town tomorrow in direct competition to whats on offer with the Force and I'd wager they will probably surpass the crowd numbers tonight. Do something to protect your standing in the sporting landscape and act before you become an irrelevance. I love the Force, i go to every game and watch every game no matter the timezone. Some action is required.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Is it just me or was keeping Speight on a tad askew? Never looked comfortable, and couldn't see the real benefit of having him "run it off"? He bashed through a couple of rucks OK which was reassuring but otherwise pretty much let everyone run past him. Pity the Badge couldn't exploit that wing more (speaking of which - he looks burnt out).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We need a clean out of the playing roster and an injection of some star quality just to reignite the passion about the club. And as much as we can appreciate those members that have cult like blind dedication to the club and can see no wrong, this club needs a massive kick in the ass. Blind elegance to the Force blowing smoke up their ass is going to achieve nothing for us in the next 10 years. I've waited too long. I can accept defeat playing intelligent and entertaining rugby but we have suffered enough playing dull rugby.

You live and die by the product you put on the field and tonight's game did nothing to inspire anyone to take up rugby. The NRL are in town tomorrow in direct competition to whats on offer with the Force and I'd wager they will probably surpass the crowd numbers tonight. Do something to protect your standing in the sporting landscape and act before you become an irrelevance. I love the Force, i go to every game and watch every game no matter the timezone. Some action is required.

You're not going to attract many star quality players with Foley as coach. IMO you have the basis of a reasonably good team there which is being butchered by the coach. What you really need is a top quality coach, you'll need to pay for it but if you get the right guy it will be worth it. The right coach will help attract the star quality players.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Is it just me or was keeping Speight on a tad askew? Never looked comfortable, and couldn't see the real benefit of having him "run it off"? He bashed through a couple of rucks OK which was reassuring but otherwise pretty much let everyone run past him. Pity the Badge couldn't exploit that wing more (speaking of which - he looks burnt out).
Injured his ankle early and shouldnt have stayed on..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I knew that the Brumbies defence has been pretty good, but didn't realise they haven't conceded a single 4 try bonus point to any team this year..........

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I knew that the Brumbies defence has been pretty good, but didn't realise they haven't conceded a single 4 try bonus point to any team this year....
Shhhh you're totally jinxing them for the final match. Pretty impressive stat though.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As we have discussed previously so many of the mauls were set up illegally. Both sides did it, passing the ball back from the lineout before the receiver has hit the ground. If the receiver cannot be tackled in the air he cannot form the maul by passing the ball back, it is obstruction.

Also in most instances the ball carrier at the back is unbound, holding onto the jersey of the maul in front is not bound. shoulder's must be attached and remain so. On too many occasions the ball carrier becomes unbound meer-catting and then rejoins the maul.

Given the maul is pretty much indefensible is properly formed I would really like to see the referees much harder on the attacking sides to make sure they remain inside the laws.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
As we have discussed previously so many of the mauls were set up illegally. Both sides did it, passing the ball back from the lineout before the receiver has hit the ground. If the receiver cannot be tackled in the air he cannot form the maul by passing the ball back, it is obstruction.

Also in most instances the ball carrier at the back is unbound, holding onto the jersey of the maul in front is not bound. shoulder's must be attached and remain so. On too many occasions the ball carrier becomes unbound meer-catting and then rejoins the maul.

Given the maul is pretty much indefensible is properly formed I would really like to see the referees much harder on the attacking sides to make sure they remain inside the laws.

In one or more of Pocock's tries he had the ball under one arm but IMO he detached briefly from the the maul to "bind" onto another player. IMO this is "truck and trailer"/obstruction.

M

Moono75

Now here's the reality check I spoke of last night. South Sydney Rabbitohs v Warriors sets a venue record crowd at NIB of 20,272 fans. Wake up Call Force! Get your house in order!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I agree with what you say @Gnostic, but you could well be posting the same message on every single game thread. A bit like hitting your head against a brick wall, isn't it? And do not forget that the NH sides in the RWC will be doing exactly the same without sanction from the officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.